Yet Another Reason to Boycott Facebook: Mind F*cks

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm putting this in politics because of Facebook's support of Progressive causes, and in particular Obama and his agenda.

Just think how about how such mind manipulation can be used to influence elections:

Facebook Conducted Psychological Experiments On Unknowing Users

The latest way that Facebook has been peeking into its users’ personal lives may be the most surprising yet: Facebook researches have published a scientific paper that reveals the company has been conducting psychological experiments on its users to manipulate their emotions.

The experiments sought to prove the phenomenon of “emotional contagion” — as in, whether you’ll be more happy if those in your Facebook news feed are. They took place over the week of January 11th-18th, 2012, and targeted 689,003 English-speaking Facebook users.

The study, which was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. was successful. It found that, indeed, manipulating the algorithm to show more “positive” posts in your news feed will actually inspire you to write more “positive” posts yourself. So, for example, if you see a lot of people happy about their jobs or excited to be seeing the concert of their favorite band, then you’re more likely to post that you are happy about something in your life, too.

While that little fact in itself may be interesting, there’s one disturbing aspect of the study: None of the people involved in the experiment were explicitly told that they would be a part of it. ...

Facebook Conducted Psychological Experiments On Unknowing Users | ThinkProgress

Facebook is the repository of all of America's ignorance, who cares if they fuck with the losers who still use it? Besides if facebook is a liberal plot then it must be to allow conservative morons to embarrass themselves to as wide an audience as possible because that's mainly who's left.

I'm putting this in politics because of Facebook's support of Progressive causes, and in particular Obama and his agenda.

Just think how about how such mind manipulation can be used to influence elections:

The latest way that Facebook has been peeking into its users’ personal lives may be the most surprising yet: Facebook researches have published a scientific paper that reveals the company has been conducting psychological experiments on its users to manipulate their emotions.

The experiments sought to prove the phenomenon of “emotional contagion” — as in, whether you’ll be more happy if those in your Facebook news feed are. They took place over the week of January 11th-18th, 2012, and targeted 689,003 English-speaking Facebook users.

The study, which was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. was successful. It found that, indeed, manipulating the algorithm to show more “positive” posts in your news feed will actually inspire you to write more “positive” posts yourself. So, for example, if you see a lot of people happy about their jobs or excited to be seeing the concert of their favorite band, then you’re more likely to post that you are happy about something in your life, too.

While that little fact in itself may be interesting, there’s one disturbing aspect of the study: None of the people involved in the experiment were explicitly told that they would be a part of it. ...

Humans are animals that flock. This isn't news.

I dropped The Facebook when I got tired reading about a friend of a friend that I don't know having a birthday and similar shit like that.

I must disagree with the OP. Mass media has a bias to those with low sales resistance and people who know that advertising to sell their products is a better strategy than gaining rep in BBB, Angie's list and other product ratings agencies. This does seem to result in mostly progressive bias but that is not the desired goal of MSNBC or FB or any other form of Mass Media. Their desired goal is to sell relatively crappy products to relatively stupid people. Left-wing bias is the sideeffect of this goal, not the goal itself.

The founder of facebook did give money to obamashitforbrains campaign.

Facebook and GOOG both played key roles in electing an reelecting The Won.

And they've profited handsomely in return.

So the message we should get from this thread then is, ":fu: Facebook, I wanna be pissed off"??? :badgrin:

You have only just begun to be manipulated.

But you'll get used to it.....no, strike that....you already are.

WOW the far left think progress blog site tells the far left they should boycott Facebook.

Well since I already do not participate on Facebook (nor do I ever plan on it), I guess since the far left blogosphere is telling it's far left drones to do this, I suspect the far left posters here will do so with out question or hesitation.

I still don't get it why people trust FB. Would you buy a car from a chop shop and the owner is a car thief? Would you bank at a place where the manager of that bank is a felon and a known criminal in identity theft? Would you take your kids to a school where the principle is a known pedophile?

So why the hell would you post your most personal information in a hackers website? It's mind boggling, the answers most give: "Well, it's where I keep up with friends and family". Um ok. WTF?

Not to worry people. I am leading the resistance.

I have over 150 FB friends and the majority of them have actually told me that my posts are all the politics they get in their lives. I'm continuously posting and sharing posts from pro-gun organizations, right wing talkers, conservative groups, Tea Party groups, and on and on. If FB is paying any attention at all, they aren't too happy with me right now!

I still don't get it why people trust FB. Would you buy a car from a chop shop and the owner is a car thief? Would you bank at a place where the manager of that bank is a felon and a known criminal in identity theft? Would you take your kids to a school where the principle is a known pedophile?

So why the hell would you post your most personal information in a hackers website? It's mind boggling, the answers most give: "Well, it's where I keep up with friends and family". Um ok. WTF?

The little personal info I do post is pretty much harmless.

Fox News also published a study. The more outrageous, uninformed, and negative product you put out the more uninformed, outrageous, and negative the consumers of said product are.

Last edited:
Fox News also published a study. The more outrageous, uninformed, and negative product you put out the more uninformed, outrageous, and negative the consumers of said product are.

Yeah! Life began to look so much better when I dropped the cable package with MSNBC but perhaps it helped that I quit stealing my neighbor's copy of The New York Times (of distress).

IT was wrong of FB to unwittingly use its customers for this experiment.

However, this isn't exactly ground breaking research. It has been long known that if you are surrounded by happy people, you are more productive and happier as a person.

That's why one negative person can bring down an entire office in less than an hour.

I heard that CNN rejected their recommendation to learn from it.

It's important to remember that Facebook users are not customers, they are the product Facebook sells to corporations and politicians.

Forum List

Back