Yogi Berra, Dies at 90

Yogi was one of the good guys....great for the game

Casey Stengle who managed the great Yankee teams in the 50s was asked how he won. He said he never played a game without his guy and nodded towards Yogi. Not Mickey Mantle but Yogi

Yogi was a great catcher and clutch hitter. He was not as dumb as the media made him out to be. Most of his quotes were made up by the media

1950-WSeries-G-Hamner-300.jpg

Yogi swore till the day he died that Jackie Robinson was out on this famous steal of home during the World Series

19score.600.jpg

It was years ago now, and Carmen Berra, Yogi’s wife, looked at him sternly, and asked a simple question.
“Yogi, where would you like to be buried?’’
They were getting up in age, Carmen explained, and it was a question they needed to ask themselves.
Yogi put his hand to his chin, thought for several minutes, and told Carmen that it was a tough question, and he needed to sleep on it.
The next morning, Yogi woke up, and Carmen asks him if he reached a decision.

Yeah, when I die,’’ Yogi said, “just bury me where you want.
“Surprise me.’’

Nightengale: The world loved Yogi Berra

Yogi swore till the day he died that Jackie Robinson was out on this famous steal of home during the World Series

19score.600.jpg

You can see right away the problem here is the angle of the dangle. Even though the umpire is right where he's supposed to be, he's out of position to properly referee that particular play.

Many of these have been attributed to Mr. Berra.
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." Yogi Berra

"Pair up in groups of three." Yogi Berra

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

"He must have made that before he died." Yogi Berra -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

"I want to thank you for making this day necessary." Yogi Berra -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

"I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." Yogi Berra -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?" Yogi Berra

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

"I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early." Yogi Berra

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra

"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him." Yogi Berra

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." Yogi Berra

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much." Yogi Berra

"Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting." Yogi Berra

"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." Yogi Berra

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." Yogi Berra

"It gets late early out there." Yogi Berra -- Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

"Glen Cove." Yogi Berra -- Referring to Glenn Close on a movie review television show.

Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me." Yogi Berra

"Do you mean now?" Yogi Berra -- When asked for the time.

"I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four." Yogi Berra

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left." Yogi Berra

"90% of the putts that are short don't go in." Yogi Berra

"I made a wrong mistake." Yogi Berra

"Texas has a lot of electrical votes." Yogi Berra -- During an election campaign, after George Bush stated that Texas was important to the election.

"Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." Yogi Berra -- After being told he looked cool.

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken." Yogi Berra

"Yeah, but we're making great time!" -- In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost." Yogi Berra

"If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them." Yogi Berra

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel." Yogi Berra

"It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't." Yogi Berra

"How long have you known me, Jack? And you still don't know how to spell my name." Yogi Berra -- Upon receiving a check from Jack Buck made out to "bearer."

"I'd say he's done more than that." Yogi Berra -- When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win." Yogi Berra

"He can run anytime he wants. I'm giving him the red light." Yogi Berra -- On the acquisition of fleet Ricky Henderson.

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?" Yogi Berra

"It ain't the heat; it's the humility." Yogi Berra

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase." Yogi Berra

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." Yogi Berra

"I didn't really say everything I said." Yogi Berra

"He must have made that before he died." Yogi Berra -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

"I want to thank you for making this day necessary." Yogi Berra -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

"I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." Yogi Berra -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much." Yogi Berra

"It gets late early out there." Yogi Berra -- Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

"Glen Cove." Yogi Berra -- Referring to Glenn Close on a movie review television show.

Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me." Yogi Berra

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left." Yogi Berra

"Texas has a lot of electrical votes." Yogi Berra -- During an election campaign, after George Bush stated that Texas was important to the election.

"Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." Yogi Berra -- After being told he looked cool.

"Yeah, but we're making great time!" -- In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost." Yogi Berra

"It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't." Yogi Berra

"How long have you known me, Jack? And you still don't know how to spell my name." Yogi Berra -- Upon receiving a check from Jack Buck made out to "bearer."

"I'd say he's done more than that." Yogi Berra -- When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.

"He can run anytime he wants. I'm giving him the red light." Yogi Berra -- On the acquisition of fleet Ricky Henderson.

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?" Yogi Berra

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." Yogi Berra

It's great stuff. The only other quote in that league is one of my favorite quotes about anything, from that old pitcher-philosopher Joachin Andujar who said:

Baseball can be summed up in one word, and that one word is -- "you never know".

It's great stuff. The only other quote in that league is one of my favorite quotes about anything, from that old pitcher-philosopher Joachin Andujar who said:

Baseball can be summed up in one word, and that one word is -- "you never know".
My favorite is.....

A good pitcher knows how to throw strikes, a great pitcher makes the strikes look like balls and the balls look like strikes

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six....
When you come to a fork in the road, take it....
The future ain't what it used to be...
I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early....
and my favorite....Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.....

It ain't over till it's over

Best sports advice ever

Forum List

Back