You know about Fed Core/Borg Curriculum Right?- Speaking of Jeantel/FCAT/Scholarship

testarosa

May 19, 2013
If you have kids/grandkids - you know about CORE right?

Public schools are going to CORE National Curriculum, I'll call it the Borg because I don't subscribe to that or sheeple. My kid is moving to Abeka private next year as this is imposed on our public schools, including mine starting this next school year and the teachers go :eek:!!!!! roll their eyes in fear and pass out. Like curriculum/reporting/FCAT/database/tracking/administration for a teacher wasn't f'ed up enough before the Feds came in limiting our kids' education and making teachers the gestapos of education taking teaching out of the classroom.

If there is a thread on this, I apologize, I'm still poking around here and getting a grip. If there isn't this should be on the very front of your domestic political hit list.
Rachel Jeantel reminded me of the education issue that I haven't seen so far on this forum with my limited exposure.

Anyhow. On to CORE/BORG:

I would love to hear feedback about why I shouldn't move my daughter the hell out of BORG FED programming.

Enlighten me here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coRNJluF2O4]Part 1 of 5 Stop the Common Core - YouTube[/ame]

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

Common Core has nothing to do with the federal government, it was developed by the NGA.

National and all states going to it doesn't mean federal.

As I said in the OP. Enlighten me.

Major upsets in our district due to the change.

So exxxxxpand upon that somewhat.

National and all states going to it doesn't mean federal.

As I said in the OP. Enlighten me.

Major upsets in our district due to the change.

So exxxxxpand upon that somewhat.

What "major upsets" are happening?

And you said "fed" a number of times.

[MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION]

I'll let you know next Thursday.

PTA meeting Tuesday and district wide parent meeting Wednesday on CORE - Feds curriculum coming to a school near you!

Last edited:
Students like Rachel Jeantel is at the core of why America is 25th in the world for Education.

Falling too. :(

Do you understand the meaning of the term "fed"?

It's short for "federal", as in the Federal Government. The Federal Government has nothing to do with Common Core.

Yes I understand the concept. LOL

I also understand the word "funding".

Yes I understand the concept. LOL

I also understand the word "funding".

What does "funding" have to do with Common Core?

ETA: Apparently Bush linked federal education funding incentives to Common Core as part of NCLB. Whatever.

Get back to me about those drastic changes you're so worried about.

Standards were released for mathematics and English language arts on June 2, 2010, with a majority of states adopting the standards in the subsequent months. (See below for current status.) States were given an incentive to adopt the Common Core Standards through the possibility of competitive federal Race to the Top grants. President Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced the Race to the Top competitive grants on July 24, 2009, as a motivator for education reform.[12] To be eligible, states had to adopt "internationally benchmarked standards and assessments that prepare students for success in college and the work place."[13] This meant that in order for a state to be eligible for these grants, the states had to adopt the Common Core State Standards or a similar career and college readiness curriculum. The competition for these grants provided a major push for states to adopt the standards.[14] The adoption dates for those states that chose to adopt the Common Core State Standards Initiative are all within the two years following this announcement.[15] The common standards are funded by the governors and state schools chiefs, with additional support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, and others.[16] States are planning to implement this initiative by 2015[17] by basing at least 85% of their state curricula on the Standards.

Edit for being implemented this year.

Race to the Top, abbreviated R2T, RTTT or RTT, is a $4.35 billion United States Department of Education contest created to spur innovation and reforms in state and local district K-12 education. It is funded by the ED Recovery Act as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and was announced by President Barack Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan on July 24, 2009. States were awarded points for satisfying certain educational policies, such as performance-based standards (often referred to as an Annual professional performance review) for teachers and principals, complying with Common Core standards, lifting caps on charter schools, turning around the lowest-performing schools, and building data systems.

Although many states have competed to win the grants, Race to the Top has also been criticized by politicians, policy analysts, thought leaders and educators. Teachers' unions and educators have complained that the tests are an inaccurate way to measure teachers, and haven't worked in the past. Conservatives have complained that it imposes federal control on state schools. Critics say that high-stakes testing is unreliable, that charter schools weaken public education, or that the federal government should not influence local schools.[15]

In explaining why Texas would not be applying for Race to the Top funding, Governor Rick Perry stated, "we would be foolish and irresponsible to place our children’s future in the hands of unelected bureaucrats and special interest groups thousands of miles away in Washington."[16]

Critics further contend that the reforms being promoted are unproven or have been unsuccessful in the past. Former Assistant Secretary of Education Diane Ravitch, for example, commented that empirical evidence "shows clearly that choice, competition and accountability as education reform levers are not working."[17] A coalition of civil rights organizations, including the Urban League, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and the Rainbow Push Coalition released a statement that “Such an approach reinstates the antiquated and highly politicized frame for distributing federal support to states that civil rights organizations fought to remove in 1965.”[18][19] The Economic Policy Institute released a report in April 2010 finding that "the selection of Delaware and Tennessee was subjective and arbitrary, more a matter of bias or chance than a result of these states’ superior compliance with reform policies."[20] Finally, the American Enterprise Institute released a report in September 2010 finding disparities in Race to the Top scores versus the education reform track records and ratings of states from outside, independent sources. This report finds that states' political circumstances may have influenced states' final scores.[21]

On May 26, 2010, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell withdrew the state from the second round of the competition. Virginia finished 31st out of 41 states in the first round, but McDonnell said that Virginia would not continue for the second round, believing the competition required the use of common education performance standards instead of Virginia's current standards. In fact, the use of common performance standards is not required.[22][23] Although McDonnell supported the Race to the Top program during his campaign for governor,[24] he claimed on his June 1 appearance on MSNBC that the Race to the Top rules precluded participating states from adopting more rigorous standards in addition to whatever multi-state standards they join.[25][26] However, in some cases, "Race to the Top" regulations award the points even if states adopt standards more rigorous than the optional, common standards.[27]

In lieu of an immediate ability to overturn Race to the Top, many grassroots groups have organized to specifically protest Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.[28]

As I said...

Meetings next week.

More info then as it is the major upshake in my state this year.

"The DOE report exposes the big lie that Common Core is about raising academic standards. The report instead reveals Common Core’s progressive designs to measure and track children’s “competencies” in “recognizing bias in sources,” “flexibility,” “cultural awareness and competence,” “appreciation for diversity,” “empathy,” “perspective taking, trust, [and] service orientation.”"

Common Core as Trojan Horse | National Review Online

I really am interested in input here. This is here and NOW for our kid's education. Like in a week for many of us or already started.

Last edited:
I hope it produces good results. Why would anyone design something that doesn't?

I already knew about CORE infiltration. Last year the teachers in my district went :eek: :eek:

There is a flurry to try to catch up what is already here. Can we f up education any more?

Why yes we can.

My feeling is it's too late and private school is the only option left.

Forum List

Back