Your Favorite Things About Israel

Natalia Osipova will be dancing with the Israel Ballet:

21-22 Sept. 2019.

Tickets: bestbravo.il.co

image.jpeg

(JTA) — For “Borat,” his 2006 film, Sacha Baron Cohen went undercover as a made-up Kazakh journalist who travels America and gets unwitting targets to share his boorish and sometimes bigoted opinions. In “Who Is America,” the Jewish actor creates a variety of characters who manage to get prominent Americans to say shockingly offensive things.

In “The Spy,” he once again goes undercover, but in a very different way. The Jewish actor and filmmaker portrays the real-life Eli Cohen, a daring Israeli agent who embedded himself in the upper echelons of Syrian society in the 1960s and provided crucial intelligence to the Jewish state.

Released Friday, the espionage thriller is already getting plenty of buzz. Here’s a look at the wild and true story that it is based on.

The real story behind ‘The Spy,’ Sacha Baron Cohen’s new Netflix series - Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Yishay Ribo, Amir Dadon and 'Amir Benayoun - Won Everything With Me

What a luck that there's You
You always play, always complete with Yourself
Blessed You're caressing the strings of Your love
What a luck

You understand me and show me myself
Excited as a child indulged in You
Eventually I stay with You

Eventually I come every night
The secrets of Your modesty You let me learn
And You had mercy for me like a mother
And You were victorious (also conducted) with me over everything

I'm immersed in the hidden of You, love what is revealed
I'm slave to Your wisdom and there's nothing sane about You
What a luck there's You

- Jerusalem of gold eventually I come every night
The secrets of Your modesty You let me learn
And You had mercy for me like a mother
And You were victorious (also conducted) with me over everything! -

Already an Israeli classic, the song was written and composed by Benayoun,
initially about the music itself....

Last edited:

Sunrise over the Jordan Valley
Photo Credit: Avi Zeidel

"In the morning, I will sing of Your mercy, for You are my fortress."
Psalms 59:17

A long lost chapter of the Jews in Diaspora.

Afghanistan is the last place you’d expect to find any trace of a Jewish past, especially given the Islamization of most of the country over the past two decades by the ruthless Taliban. Yet, up until the assassination of King Nadir Shah in 1933, the country had been remarkably tolerant towards Jews for over a thousand years. Major Afghan cities such as Herat and Kabul were once safe-havens for Jews fleeing persecution in other lands. The Jews of Afghanistan once numbered in the thousands and enjoyed peace and prosperity.

Today there is only one Jew left who still calls Afghanistan home.

The recorded story of the Afghan Jews starts in the 900‘s C.E., two centuries after the country was converted to Islam. This is not because Jews did not live there before that time, but rather that all records which might have proven the existence of a pre-Islamic Jewish community in Afghanistan have been lost. However, there are some Afghan tribes such as the Durrani, Yussafzai, and, most notably, the Pashtun who claim to be one of the Ten Lost Tribes. In the case of the Pashtun, now Afghanistan’s majority ethnic group, one of their tribal legends states that a group called the “Bani Israel” settled near the modern town of Herat and later converted to Islam after their leader met with Mohammed.

Jewish Virtual Library states that some Pashtuns have Jewish sounding names such as Asheri and Naftali, and they practice Jewish customs such as marrying under a chuppah and circumcising their sons eight days after birth. Adding further fuel to the fire, the sensationalist media even published a report a few years ago claiming that the members of the Taliban may be descended from Jews. An Israeli government-funded DNA test found no link at all between Jews and Pashtuns.

The Jewish History of Afghanistan

Forum List

Back