Your timing is exquisite, Mr. Norquist

The congressional oath office states "that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter"

Any congress person who has taken the Norquist oath is in violation of their congressional oath and should be removed from office.

How exactly do you equate the desire to keep tax rates from rising with a violation of the congressional pledge? Please, explain this logic to us.

You ever thought you'd see the day when people would go around whining about our Representatives pledging NOT to raise taxes on us?

how lame can it get

Pledging to an unelected unaccountable bureaucrats. I'm sure the repubs have no problem with that. Except they do

I wouldn't sign his pledge but I would still cut spending and lower taxes.

Whose taxes would you cut? Whose jobs would you eliminate?

That is the fundamental question!

Really? Seriously? You have no idea who's taxes should be cut and what spending should be eliminated?

Did you know that the average family works until MAY (that's FIVE MONTHS) to pay all the taxes that it has to pay for the year? Don't you think that is a little much? And a person working for the federal government, how is that producing anything for the economy? I believe in every economics class I've ever taken, workers for the government are a DRAIN on the economy. I don't care if you make $20,000 or $2,000,000 a year, in what universe does it give the government the right to STEAL someone's money?

And I have an idea. Instead of having a federal beaurocracy, a state beaurocracy AND a local beaurocracy doing the exact same things, why don't we just get rid of one of them? You know, like in the Department of Education? You want to give federal dollars to education, just give it to the state, tell them how to use it and then audit them. How about we do the same thing with Medicaid and Medicare?

You know I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Grover Norquist. I mean I realize he is the left's boogie man and all, but I don't care what he wants. And the President for the SEIU has been to the White House over 15 times. How many of those meetings were public?

Yeah... Another shreiking, whining NOTHING from the left...

I wouldn't sign his pledge but I would still cut spending and lower taxes.

Whose taxes would you cut? Whose jobs would you eliminate?

That is the fundamental question!

Really? Seriously? You have no idea who's taxes should be cut and what spending should be eliminated?

Did you know that the average family works until MAY (that's FIVE MONTHS) to pay all the taxes that it has to pay for the year? Don't you think that is a little much? And a person working for the federal government, how is that producing anything for the economy? I believe in every economics class I've ever taken, workers for the government are a DRAIN on the economy. I don't care if you make $20,000 or $2,000,000 a year, in what universe does it give the government the right to STEAL someone's money?

And I have an idea. Instead of having a federal beaurocracy, a state beaurocracy AND a local beaurocracy doing the exact same things, why don't we just get rid of one of them? You know, like in the Department of Education? You want to give federal dollars to education, just give it to the state, tell them how to use it and then audit them. How about we do the same thing with Medicaid and Medicare?

You know I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Grover Norquist. I mean I realize he is the left's boogie man and all, but I don't care what he wants. And the President for the SEIU has been to the White House over 15 times. How many of those meetings were public?

Yeah... Another shreiking, whining NOTHING from the left...

The same thing occurred to me.
I can't count the times some left-leaning tool has thrown Norquist's name out in an attempt to connect me to him.
Besides those posts, I've never heard of him, much less blindly follow his proposals.

Meanwhile Soros keeps his hand on the joystick, controlling the entire D-party, and they're fine with that....

:eusa_clap:

Govt has the right to collect taxes dumbass

Unlimitedly?
:eusa_eh:

During the administration of Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a 92 percent marginal income tax rate for top earners in the United States remained from the previous administration of Harry S. Truman. At the time, the highest tax bracket was for income over $400,000.

This was nearly the highest tax rate for top earners in the century, just under the 94 percent rate for income over $200,000 instated during World War II under Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency.

In 1954, the 92 percent marginal rate decreased to 91 percent under Eisenhower. The maximum tax on long-term capital gains was 25 percent -- a rate that remained in place for a decade.

From Eisenhower to Obama: What the Wealthiest Americans Pay in Taxes - Yahoo! News

Norquist meets privately with GOP to reinforce anti-tax pledge - latimes.com

And some Republicans have grown weary of the pledge -- saying they want more options in handling the nation's tough budgetary matters.

Even before Norquist, the feisty president of Americans for Tax Reform, set foot on the Hill on Thursday, a top Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, offered a prebuttal to the visit.

"All of you should know that the most powerful man in Washington will be visiting Congress this coming Thursday, and it's not Bryce Harper," Reid said earlier in the week, invoking the Washington Nationals' new star slugger, a fellow Nevadan.

"It's Grover Norquist," Reid said. "Grover Norquist is the only Republican leader who can truthfully say he has the entire Republican Party in the palm of his hand. ... So if you want to know what the Republican position is on any of the enormous economic challenges facing this country, don't waste your time asking Governor Romney, Speaker Boehner or Senator McConnell. Just ask Grover."

Reid was referring to the GOP leaders -- Mitt Romney, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, House Speaker John A. Boehner and Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader.

Norquist's meeting with a gathering of House Republicans was private.

Private, huh? I wonder why.

I like Reid's sarcasm here. Funny.

Of course. In your world, the government is this wonderful organization that is so efficient and effective at what it does. To be against this "paternal" organization is to be literally against a benevolent benefactor and smacks of treason. YOU are the nameless, faceless person standing in the line doing EXACTLY as you are told, when you are told, marching to the orders of those obviously "smarter" than you for the common good. It is not how much you can achieve, instead ensuring that everyone achieves the same, because after all that is only fair.

In my world, the government is a bloated, ineffective, inefficient, over-priced, duplicate, burden on taxpayers that places inordinate amounts of restrictions on the people it is supposed to serve. Yet despite it's most desperate attempts to ensure otherwise, some of us actually do achieve a small amount of success. We do not stand in line and we do not do as we are told, striving to achieve MORE than is allowed. We look at government as nothing more than a SERVANT of the people to be reminded at every turn that they WORK FOR US.

I wonder which of us does MORE for the common good?

Get some fresh air, you're starting to channel TruthMatters...

Unlimitedly?

During the administration of Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a 92 percent marginal income tax rate for top earners in the United States remained from the previous administration of Harry S. Truman. At the time, the highest tax bracket was for income over $400,000.

This was nearly the highest tax rate for top earners in the century, just under the 94 percent rate for income over $200,000 instated during World War II under Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency.

In 1954, the 92 percent marginal rate decreased to 91 percent under Eisenhower. The maximum tax on long-term capital gains was 25 percent -- a rate that remained in place for a decade.
From Eisenhower to Obama: What the Wealthiest Americans Pay in Taxes - Yahoo! News

In July 1863, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln and Congress created the office of Commissioner of Internal Revenue and enacted a temporary income tax to pay war expenses (see Revenue Act of 1862). The position of Commissioner exists today as the head of the Internal Revenue Service.
The Revenue Act of 1862 was passed as an emergency and temporary war-time tax. It copied a relatively new British system of income taxation, instead of trade and property taxation. The first income tax was passed in 1861:

• The initial rate was 3% on income over $800, which exempted most wage-earners.
  • In 1862 the rate was 3% on income between $600 and $10,000, and 5% on income over $10,000.
  • In 1864 the rate was 5% on income between $600 and $5,000; 7.5% on income $5,000–$10,000; and 10% on income $10,000 and above.
By the end of the war, 10% of Union households had paid some form of income tax, and the Union raised 21% of its war revenue through income taxes.

Internal Revenue Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norquist meets privately with GOP to reinforce anti-tax pledge - latimes.com

And some Republicans have grown weary of the pledge -- saying they want more options in handling the nation's tough budgetary matters.

Even before Norquist, the feisty president of Americans for Tax Reform, set foot on the Hill on Thursday, a top Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, offered a prebuttal to the visit.

"All of you should know that the most powerful man in Washington will be visiting Congress this coming Thursday, and it's not Bryce Harper," Reid said earlier in the week, invoking the Washington Nationals' new star slugger, a fellow Nevadan.

"It's Grover Norquist," Reid said. "Grover Norquist is the only Republican leader who can truthfully say he has the entire Republican Party in the palm of his hand. ... So if you want to know what the Republican position is on any of the enormous economic challenges facing this country, don't waste your time asking Governor Romney, Speaker Boehner or Senator McConnell. Just ask Grover."

Reid was referring to the GOP leaders -- Mitt Romney, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, House Speaker John A. Boehner and Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader.

Norquist's meeting with a gathering of House Republicans was private.

Private, huh? I wonder why.

I like Reid's sarcasm here. Funny.

And completely true.

I wonder if there's every been a Pied Piper of Congress people before now.

Unlimitedly?

In July 1863, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln and Congress created the office of Commissioner of Internal Revenue and enacted a temporary income tax to pay war expenses (see Revenue Act of 1862). The position of Commissioner exists today as the head of the Internal Revenue Service.
The Revenue Act of 1862 was passed as an emergency and temporary war-time tax. It copied a relatively new British system of income taxation, instead of trade and property taxation. The first income tax was passed in 1861:

• The initial rate was 3% on income over $800, which exempted most wage-earners.
  • In 1862 the rate was 3% on income between $600 and $10,000, and 5% on income over $10,000.
  • In 1864 the rate was 5% on income between $600 and $5,000; 7.5% on income $5,000–$10,000; and 10% on income $10,000 and above.
By the end of the war, 10% of Union households had paid some form of income tax, and the Union raised 21% of its war revenue through income taxes.

So you want taxes abolished.

Funny the Republicans have never done that, in all their time in charge.

Give up on posting your own thoughts and opinions Boop?

One question though. Did it bother you when dems bribed each other with OUR MONEY behind closed doors during the healthcare debacle?

:eusa_whistle:

Indeed with Obama going to the Hill to sway reluctant Democrats with sweetheart deals like the Second Lousiana Purchase...Senator Landrieu to the tune of $300M?

The Cornhusker kickback? [Nebraska]...

taxes are too high. im sick of politicains wanting to raise taxes because they are addicted to spending the hard earned money of others

I have been criticized for saying that only a damned fool would vote to raise their own taxes. I might add, the same goes for voting for someone who promises to raise taxes.

Your point?

Forum List

Back