15 minute cities sound amazing

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Why are they upsetting the bedwetters so much ? You can work and live your best life near to your home..
Ive only ever had that once in my life. Most of the time I have had to commute to work.
Why should I hate this ? Its what life was like when times were more gentle.

Why are they upsetting the bedwetters so much ? You can work and live your best life near to your home..
Ive only ever had that once in my life. Most of the time I have had to commute to work.
You have some really weird people over there.

No they don't.

you might think being crammed in cheek to jowl is a good way to live after all your little island which is about the size of the state of Michigan has 70 million people crammed into it.

We Americans like our open spaces and 10 acre yards

No they don't.

you might think being crammed in cheek to jowl is a good way to live after all your little island which is about the size of the state of Michigan has 70 million people crammed into it.

You dont have to live there. You know that dont you ?

Why should I hate this ? Its what life was like when times were more gentle
At least here in the USA our smaller towns had a central core “single stoplight” town center, bust most people lived out away from the core. You had the business center and some folks lived there but most of the population lived away from the town center. My grandparents made ONE trip “into town” a week, did all their shopping on thst trip, then went home for the week.
You dont have to live there. You know that dont you ?
The concern is that if this becomes an accepted norm, it will be exported to the suburbs and then become the only acceptable lifestyle.

At least here in the USA our smaller towns had a central core “single stoplight” town center, bust most people lived out away from the core. You had the business center and some folks lived there but most of the population lived away from the town center. My grandparents made ONE trip “into town” a week, did all their shopping on thst trip, then went home for the week.

The concern is that if this becomes an accepted norm, it will be exported to the suburbs and then become the only acceptable lifestyle.
It will only happen if people want it and are able to do it Developers arent going to build homes that nobody wants.

Working from home is going to change a lot of lives

Have fun.

It will only happen if people want it and are able to do it Developers arent going to build homes that nobody wants
No. It will happen if the developers and politicians want it. If you HAVE TO go to the urban center for food, medical care, services, etc… eventually the population will begin to congregate there. Why build 5 name-brand pharmacies around the county when you can build one, in the urban hub, and save all that money.
Yes it will. It’s allowed me to move even further AWAY from urban centers and people in general. I’d go further if I could but my hybrid work model and medical needs prevent that.

No. It will happen if the developers and politicians want it. If you HAVE TO go to the urban center for food, medical care, services, etc… eventually the population will begin to congregate there. Why build 5 name-brand pharmacies around the county when you can build one, in the urban hub, and save all that money.

Yes it will. It’s allowed me to move even further AWAY from urban centers and people in general. I’d go further if I could but my hybrid work model and medical needs prevent that.
When estate agents advertise homes they stress the convenient nature of the location, schools,shoos,doctors and stations. A developer offering that will be swamped by offers. Its what mpost people want.

Where I live is great apart from work. I used to travel for over an hour every day by train. I would give anything to get that time back. But I wasnt going to uproot the family to make my commute shorter.

No they don't.

I'd never heard of the concept until this thread. I live in a big city, where between size and traffic, it can easily take a hour to get from one place to another in a car. I can definitely see the appeal of having everything that I needed much closer, and much easier and faster to get to.

But It doesn't seem workable. Fifteen minutes is a quarter of an hour. Assuming a walking speed of 3 MPH, that gives roughly a four-thousand-foot radius.

That's an awfully small area to try to fit in all the various businesses that I routinely access. I can see how it would be possible, if there are no single-floor buildings, only tall multi-story buildings, but it would sure make for very cramped conditions. Can you imagine doing your grocery shopping in a supermarket that spans several floors near the top of a dozen-or-so-floor building? Using stairs, elevators, escalators to carry what you already have from floor to floor, and finally, to take all your purchases to the ground to load into your car? For this sort of scheme, do they even wants to allow us to have cars?

On its face, this sounds like a very unpleasant, dystopian, and not terribly workable way to live.

I'd never heard of the concept until this thread. I live in a big city, where between size and traffic, it can easily take a hour to get from one place to another in a car. I can definitely see the appeal of having everything that I needed much closer, and much easier and faster to get to.

But It doesn't seem workable. Fifteen minutes is a quarter of an hour. Assuming a walking speed of 3 MPH, that gives roughly a four-thousand-foot radius.

That's an awfully small area to try to fit in all the various businesses that I routinely access. I can see how it would be possible, if there are no single-floor buildings, only tall multi-story buildings, but it would sure make for very cramped conditions. Can you imagine doing your grocery shopping in a supermarket that spans several floors near the top of a dozen-or-so-floor building? Using stairs, elevators, escalators to carry what you already have from floor to floor, and finally, to take all your purchases to the ground to load into your car? For this sort of scheme, do they even wants to allow us to have cars?

On its face, this sounds like a very unpleasant, dystopian, and not terribly workable way to live.
Its 15 minutes walking or cycling.There would be busses as well. as mass transit.

What would you know about working? Have you ever done an honest day of work in your entire life?

Well Bob if you were academically gifted ,or even applied yourself in school, you would have a better job with better working conditions.

And what makes a worthless welfare parasite such as yourself delusionally imagine that you are in any position to look down on me on the basis of my profession?

When estate agents advertise homes they stress the convenient nature of the location, schools,shoos,doctors and stations. A developer offering that will be swamped by offers. Its what most people want
It’s what the sheeple want. The ones who know they cannot take care of themselves. The ones who have no independence or individuality. It should work perfectly fine in Europe and the UK, but not here in the USA.
Where I live is great apart from work. I used to travel for over an hour every day by train. I would give anything to get that time back. But I wasnt going to uproot the family to make my commute shorter
I used to drive upwards of an hour to work and back 5 days a week, and often on Saturdays. More recently I did 45 minutes each way 4 days a week. I now drive 65-70 minutes once a week and work from home 3/4 other days.

You could not get me to live in an urban environment. Between the politics and the gross population I’d lose my mind in a week.

When I worked in Silicon Valley, I was only 15 miles away from my home via the freeway. Commute time was over 1 hour ‘cause it was a parking lot.

It’s what the sheeple want. The ones who know they cannot take care of themselves. The ones who have no independence or individuality. It should work perfectly fine in Europe and the UK, but not here in the USA.

I used to drive upwards of an hour to work and back 5 days a week, and often on Saturdays. More recently I did 45 minutes each way 4 days a week. I now drive 65-70 minutes once a week and work from home 3/4 other days.

You could not get me to live in an urban environment. Between the politics and the gross population I’d lose my mind in a week.
You give your perspective which is valid. Other people have a different perspective, just as valid.

You give your perspective which is valid. Other people have a different perspective, just as valid
True. My concern is that if/when this urban living arrangement becomes the norm it will become infinitely more difficult to live outside those urban areas.

The company I work for is moving our corporate headquarters from a suburban to an urban environment. There will be ZERO company parking at the new location. So if you can’t or don’t want to use mass transit to get there, you will be paying $40/day or $450-500 monthly to park your car in a private garage then walk at least 3 or 4 blocks to the building.

Forum List

Back