15 minute cities sound amazing

True. My concern is that if/when this urban living arrangement becomes the norm it will become infinitely more difficult to live outside those urban areas.

The company I work for is moving our corporate headquarters from a suburban to an urban environment. There will be ZERO company parking at the new location. So if you can’t or don’t want to use mass transit to get there, you will be paying $40/day or $450-500 monthly to park your car in a private garage then walk at least 3 or 4 blocks to the building.
There will be a lot of dislocation. A lot of businesses are located in areas that are wrong for them. Or have offices that are too big.
Town centres are being hollowed out and it will take some time to work out what to do with them.

When I worked in Silicon Valley, I was only 15 miles away from my home via the freeway. Commute time was over 1 hour ‘cause it was a parking lot.

My worst commute was when I was working on a project in American Canyon (in the Napa area). About a 60-70 mile drive from Sacramento.

Getting there in the morning wasn't a bad drive. Roughly an hour.

Coming home in the afternoon/evening was a nightmare. Easily three or four hours to get home, due to traffic.

More recently, I worked a couple of projects in Tracy, a similar distance in a different direction. Again, about an hour to get there in the morning. Longer to get home, but not as bad as from American Canyon.

There will be a lot of dislocation. A lot of businesses are located in areas that are wrong for them. Or have offices that are too big.
Town centres are being hollowed out and it will take some time to work out what to do with them
There has already been a lot of relocation of companies here in the US. I’m not sure it’s been a good thing or that they’ve relocated to the right places.

Our town centers are either becoming abandoned graveyards, being taken over by large businesses/colleges, or converted to upscale luxury apartments/condos that most residents can’t afford

Why are they upsetting the bedwetters so much ? You can work and live your best life near to your home..
Ive only ever had that once in my life. Most of the time I have had to commute to work.
Why should I hate this ? Its what life was like when times were more gentle.

Liar. You never worked.

There has already been a lot of relocation of companies here in the US. I’m not sure it’s been a good thing or that they’ve relocated to the right places.

Our town centers are either becoming abandoned graveyards, being taken over by large businesses/colleges, or converted to upscale luxury apartments/condos that most residents can’t afford
This 15 minute thing has just been discussed on the BBC. Apparently the idea has been tried in Florida for many years.

I live 30 minutes to a stop sign(1) and another 30 from a light(2) (works occasionally) Turn right and 45 minutes to a light.(2) 10 from there to LIR and 2 more hours to fly to Miami-stan.
But I don't bother. I've passed the stop sign maybe twice this year and a big hardware is near light #1...but they deliver, so fuggit.

Why are they upsetting the bedwetters so much ? You can work and live your best life near to your home..
Ive only ever had that once in my life. Most of the time I have had to commute to work.
Because they force poor people to live and work near your home with heavy taxation.

It is fascidst and an abomination

You do not define the best life for other people

Town centres are being hollowed out and it will take some time to work out what to do with them.
There will ba massive impoversihhment and destruction of businesses.

None of the businesses which will be drive out are in the wrong location

None of them have offices too big

Youer claims are bald faced nazi lies

I've pretty much already lived like that without government coercion

It's called living in the city

They got bigger plans for you ....well not for you ...your national health system will be looking to off your ass soon

Yes you have

You are a liar annd knee jerk reactionary who supprots any tyrannical efforts to rule over the peasants

Whichy is PRECISELY what this scheme is

It was NEVER fucking tried in florida
You provide no evidence to back up your frothing.

The "15-minute-city" has its perks and its drawbacks.

1 drawback I can think of is the similarity to certain Warsaw ghettos.

The "15-minute-city" has its perks and its drawbacks.

1 drawback I can think of is the similarity to certain Warsaw ghettos.
You mean places where Jews were forcibly herded before they were exterminated.?
That is nonsense as well as offensive.

I like rural living, I don’t want to walk and be within 15 minutes of a neighbor. Some people would like it, I a, not that person.

You mean places where Jews were forcibly herded before they were exterminated.?
That is nonsense as well as offensive.
Not nonsense, and the similarities are all there, dumbass!

Self-herding into a confined area with nowhere to go. What could go wrong? :dunno:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back