151 years ago today: Democrats founded and staffed the Ku Klux Klan

On Dec. 24, 1865, Democrats in the American South formed the Ku Klux Klan as a means of keeing uppity blacks in their place. They attacked the blacks, and any white Republicans who defended or support them, lynching and killing them when possible. Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day, with theDemocrat attacking, insulting, and pillorying blacks who dared to espouse viewpoints the Democrats disagree with.

-----------------------------------------------------------

KKK founded - Dec 24, 1865 - HISTORY.com

151 years ago KKK founded
December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans convenes to form a secret society that they christen the “Ku Klux Klan.” The KKK rapidly grew from a secret social fraternity to a paramilitary force bent on reversing the federal government’s progressive Reconstruction Era-activities in the South, especially policies that elevated the rights of the local African American population.

The name of the Ku Klux Klan was derived from the Greek word kyklos, meaning “circle,” and the Scottish-Gaelic word “clan,” which was probably chosen for the sake of alliteration. Under a platform of philosophized white racial superiority, the group employed violence as a means of pushing back Reconstruction and its enfranchisement of African Americans. Former Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard; in 1869, he unsuccessfully tried to disband it after he grew critical of the Klan’s excessive violence.

Most prominent in counties where the races were relatively balanced, the KKK engaged in terrorist raids against African Americans and white Republicans at night, employing intimidation, destruction of property, assault, and murder to achieve its aims and influence upcoming elections. In a few Southern states, Republicans organized militia units to break up the Klan. In 1871, the Ku Klux Act passed Congress, authorizing President Ulysses S. Grant to use military force to suppress the KKK. The Ku Klux Act resulted in nine South Carolina counties being placed under martial law and thousands of arrests.

Your link doesn't say Democrats founded the KKK. I see YOU saying it but your link doesn't. I think I might know why.

1. Would you agree that when southern states seceded from the union they were no longer Democrats? I think it is reasonable to say that in a legal as well as a technical sense. That is the basis for my premise.

2. The KKK was formed on December 24 1865 in Tennessee. But the people forming the KKK could not have been Democrats at the time because no states of the former confederacy had been readmitted to the union until 24 July.
1866. Confederate veterans, YES, but not Democrats.

3. The integrity of the Democratic Party was kept intact by northern democrats who had, in the years preceding the war, split into two factions: the copperheads who were sympathetic to the south and the War Democrats who took the diametrically opposite stance.

So to set the record straight, at least for now. Democrats didn't start the KKK. People who were not a part of the United States of America did.
To say the Democrats founded the KKK makes about as much sense as saying the Catholics founded Nazism because Adolph Hitler was raised a Catholic.
How you figure?
Just because a person is associated with a group, Christians, Democrats, or whatever does not mean that what they did has anything to do with one of the groups they are apart of. If you can't understand that, there is no point in continuing. However, the fact is there is no evidence that the founders of the KKK were democrats. There is certainly a lot more evidence that they were Christians.

Exactly. They're imbibing in a classic Composition Fallacy. There's even more evidence that they were ex-soldiers, all six of them. Therefore we can conclude through the same Composition Fallacy route, "151 years ago 'the military' formed the KKK". Same (il)logic, only this time it's actually documented.
Or you are and we all know your fake news

How you figure?
Just because a person is associated with a group, Christians, Democrats, or whatever does not mean that what they did has anything to do with one of the groups they are apart of. If you can't understand that, there is no point in continuing. However, the fact is there is no evidence that the founders of the KKK were democrats. There is certainly a lot more evidence that they were Christians.
Except when it actually is a party like demoturds are founders kkk. Don't be ashamed truth is just the truth

So you still can't find a link. No evidence, no documentation, no quote, nothing. Six guys, no leads on a one. Nothing at all. Zero. Bupkis. Zip.

Nobody else can find one either.

That's why I keep telling y'all you're full of shit. And y'all just keep proving me right.
I'm not going to post any links here I did all that in other threads. Go look up accurate history fake prop guy!

So you still can't find a link. No evidence, no documentation, no quote, nothing. Six guys, no leads on a one. Nothing at all. Zero. Bupkis. Zip.

That's why I keep telling y'all you're full of shit. And y'all just keep proving me right.
Done in other threads not repeating for fools like you history is history bubkis

Except when it actually is a party like demoturds are founders kkk. Don't be ashamed truth is just the truth

I'm not going to post any links here I did all that in other threads. Go look up accurate history fake prop guy!

And you're a liar too. You posted no such links in any other threads. I already know they don't exist.
Done in other threads not repeating for fools like you history is history bubkis

NOT done in other threads, anywhere, any time. Because there's no such thing. I already know that.

So again --- you're a liar. A liar with by the way ---- no links.

Prove me wrong, wimpy.

Post after post right wingers are working overtime to make some tiny point. It seems what they desperately want to suggest, beyond all contrary evidence is that the diverse party of Democrats are the racists while the 90% white party of Republicans is really and secretly the diverse party. Of course that's laughable. So the right wing is working overtime. And part of that haul is to completely ignore the "BIG PICTURE".

This is how it goes so far. The South was mostly Democrat, and the north Republican. The Civil War happened and the Republicans in the north won. Since that time, the south is mostly Republican and the north mostly Democrat. So how did that happen? How did the northern Republicans move south and the southern Democrats move North? And how did the KKK, the Alt Right, the Confederates and the Aryan Nation end up part of the Republican Party?

During the Civil War, the North was mainly the Republican Party. Now, today, the South is the center of the Republican Party. It was in the North. And now it's in the south. How did that happen?

And once you explain that, why does the Alt Right, the KKK, and the American Nazi Party claim to support the Republican President elect? And why have they supported him from nearly the beginning? Those are the questions you need to answer.

But number one? Democrats used to be the majority in the South, now they are the majority in the north. Republicans used to be the majority in the north, now they are the majority in the south. How did that happen?

ADAH: Alabama Moments (The Ku Klux Klan During Reconstruction--Quick Summary)
The Ku Klux Klan
During Reconstruction

bullet.gif
Original Klan born in law offices of six young men in Pulaski, Tennessee in fall 1866.

bullet.gif
Social and fraternal club origins of KKK soon give way to political terrorism of blacks and southern Republicans.

bullet.gif
Klan enjoys tremendous popularity in southern states. North and west Alabama become particular strongholds. White supremacy is upheld in Black Belt and south Alabama by kindred organizations such as the Knights of the White Camelia, the Men of Peace, and the White Brotherhood.

bullet.gif
In April 1867 ex-Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest agrees to serve as Imperial Wizard of the Invisible Empire. Other southern generals follow in leadership roles.

bullet.gif
Alabama Klan targets carpetbaggers, scalawags, and "uppity" blacks. At least 109 documented Klan killings occur in Alabama during Reconstruction. Countless other acts of terrorism and brutality occur. Conservative-Democratic party supports KKK as do sympathetic editors; becomes difficult to tell where Bourbon party ends and Klan begins.

bullet.gif
Federal civil rights legislation, including a Ku Klux Klan Act, South Carolina's suspension of habeas corpus, and subsequent arrest of hundreds of Klansmen discourage continuation of secret order, but 1874 "redemption" of state establishes no further need for para-military, terrorist wing of Conservative-Democratic party.

bullet.gif
Late nineteenth-/early twentieth-century "Dunning School" of Southern historiography celebrates role KKK played in redeeming South from nightmare rule of "ignorant, lustful, and brutish" blacks and "scoundrelly" carpetbaggers and scalawags.

bullet.gif
Original Klan born in law offices of six young men in Pulaski, Tennessee in fall 1866.

Place and personnel correct. Date incorrect. Correct date would be December 25, 1865.

Under "Details" sublink of same page:
>> Six restless young men formed the Ku Klux Klan in a Pulaski, Tennessee law office in the fall of 1866. Originally formed as a social club, early Klansmen raised fear and anxiety by riding about the countryside at night, dressed in sheets and hoods, frightening rural blacks. Reconstruction Southerners, depressed over military defeat and angry at the military occupation of the Union Army, quickly populated the Klan as it spread throughout the former Confederate states. Alabama's northern and western counties became particularly strong Klan areas, but the group appeared as far south as Mobile. Black Belt whites, though, preferred to entrust the preservation of white supremacy to Klan-like groups such as the Knights of the White Camelia, the White Brotherhood, the White League, and the Men of Peace. <<​

bullet.gif
Social and fraternal club origins of KKK soon give way to political terrorism of blacks and southern Republicans.

Correct, as well as Union Leagues and general lawbreakers such as unfaithful or abusive husbands, debt-owers and the like.

All of the above I already posted.

The rest is irrelevant.

Did LBJ Say 'I'll Have Those N*****s Voting Democratic for 200 Years'?
There's no question that Lyndon Johnson, despite championing the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 and signing it into law, was also a sometime racist and notorious vulgarian who rarely shied away from using the N-word in private. For example, he reportedly referred to the Civil Rights Act of 1957 as the "****** bill" in more than one private phone conversation with Senate colleagues. And he reportedly said upon appointing African-American judge Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, "Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he's a ******."

According to historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, he also uttered this cynical-sounding statement, which sometimes circulates in tandem with the "voting Democratic" remark:

These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again.

"As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, ******, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture."

All of which is to acknowledge that, without question, Lyndon Johnson used the N-word in private conversations. All of which is to acknowledge that, without question, Lyndon Johnson used the N-word in private conversations. What is in question is whether Johnson in fact uttered this particular instance of it: "I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for 200 years."

Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist.

The City Square: LBJ vs. the Civil Rights Act of 1957
Everyone knew that the critical fight on the civil rights bill would be in the Senate. . . . In that body, the key figure was Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson, who represented the [former] Confederate state of Texas and had been installed in his position by Southern Democrats precisely in order to block civil rights legislation. Until the 1950s, Johnson's record of opposition to all civil rights legislation was spotless. But he was ambitious and wanted to be president. . . .

After dragging his feet on the civil rights bill throughout much of 1957, Johnson finally came to the conclusion that the tide had turned in favor of civil rights and he needed to be on the right side of the issue if he hoped to become president. . . .

At the same time, the Senate's master tactician and principal opponent of the civil rights bill, Democrat Richard B. Russell of Georgia, saw the same handwriting on the wall but came to a different conclusion. He realized that the support was no longer there for an old-fashioned Democrat filibuster. . . . So Russell adopted a different strategy this time of trying to amend the civil rights bill so as to minimize its impact. Behind the scenes, Johnson went along with Russell's strategy of not killing the civil rights bill, but trying to neuter it as much as possible. . . .

Eisenhower was disappointed at not being able to produce a better piece of legislation. "I wanted a much stronger civil rights bill in '57 than I could get," he later lamented. "But the Democrats . . . wouldn't let me have it."

Liberals criticized Eisenhower for getting such a modest bill at the end of the day. But Johnson argued that it was historically important because it was the first civil rights bill to pass Congress since 1875. "Once you break virginity," he said, "it'll be easier next time."To put it mildly, LBJ was not a consistent advocate of racial equality. Bartlett (both in his book and in this article) quotes LBJ's explanation of why he backed the Civil Rights Act of 1957:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again."

LBJ's record on civil rights-
Civil Wrongs: Lyndon B. Johnson
It was the Republicans who fought for and were responsible for the passage of civil rights laws, not LBJ. Revisionist history, taught by Liberal dogma saturated educators, has propagated lies about the civil rights movement for almost 50 years!Lyndon Johnson remarking on civil rights in 1957:
“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”And concerning LBJ’s civil rights record:Lyndon Johnson, who represented the [former] Confederate state of Texas and had been installed in his position by Southern Democrats precisely in order to block civil rights legislation. Until the 1950s, Johnson’s record of opposition to all civil rights legislation was spotless. But he was ambitious and wanted to be president. . . .After dragging his feet on the civil rights bill throughout much of 1957, Johnson finally came to the conclusion that the tide had turned in favor of civil rights and he needed to be on the right side of the issue if he hoped to become president. . . .

Everett M. Dirksen: Everett Dirksen on the Issues > An Early Advocate for Civil Rights
Who really worked to pass the civil rights act?
Republican Everett McKinley Dirksen enjoys a well-deserved reputation for his effectiveness in passing civil rights legislation. He led Senate Republicans in the successful effort to enact President Dwight Eisenhower’s civil rights program in 1957. Dirksen provided crucial support for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His leadership proved indispensable in passing the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The Senate Minority Leader’s presence loomed large on the national stage.Over a 35-year career in the House and Senate, the Republican senator from Pekin, Illinois, proposed more than 140 bills to eliminate discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Dirksen himself pointed repeatedly to his civil rights record, claiming that he was “no Johnny-come-lately” to the issue.Less well known, however, is Dirksen’s performance in a smaller theater of civil rights politics where progress came incrementally, often only for the benefit of a few.The senator’s efforts on behalf of the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs in the mid-1950s to establish a National Negro History Week, to obtain a national charter for the organization, and to exempt it from a variety of taxes demonstrate his doggedness in supporting the NACWC’s civil rights agenda. He was motivated primarily by three factors: (1) the president of the organization was a constituent and a Republican active in the black community in Chicago; (2) Dirksen believed the organization should be treated in the same manner as other non-profit organizations in the matter of taxation; and (3) the senator acted in a manner consistent with his career-long commitment to advancing civil rights.

Epilogue
In 1964, following the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, NACWC awarded Dirksen its Distinguished Service Award for his “untiring efforts in the fight for human rights and dignity for all Americans.”88

You need to find some credible sources, "dear". That "uppity" quote is undocumented internet mythology.

Last edited:
Post after post right wingers are working overtime to make some tiny point. It seems what they desperately want to suggest, beyond all contrary evidence is that the diverse party of Democrats are the racists while the 90% white party of Republicans is really and secretly the diverse party. Of course that's laughable. So the right wing is working overtime. And part of that haul is to completely ignore the "BIG PICTURE".

This is how it goes so far. The South was mostly Democrat, and the north Republican. The Civil War happened and the Republicans in the north won. Since that time, the south is mostly Republican and the north mostly Democrat. So how did that happen? How did the northern Republicans move south and the southern Democrats move North? And how did the KKK, the Alt Right, the Confederates and the Aryan Nation end up part of the Republican Party?

During the Civil War, the North was mainly the Republican Party. Now, today, the South is the center of the Republican Party. It was in the North. And now it's in the south. How did that happen?

And once you explain that, why does the Alt Right, the KKK, and the American Nazi Party claim to support the Republican President elect? And why have they supported him from nearly the beginning? Those are the questions you need to answer.

But number one? Democrats used to be the majority in the South, now they are the majority in the north. Republicans used to be the majority in the north, now they are the majority in the south. How did that happen?

Still ignoring the big picture. Why doesn't that surprise me?

We could raise them from the dead and you would still deny their proclamations because it hurts your party.

bullet.gif

Place and personnel correct. Date incorrect. Correct date would be December 25, 1865.

>> Six restless young men formed the Ku Klux Klan in a Pulaski, Tennessee law office in the fall of 1866. Originally formed as a social club, early Klansmen raised fear and anxiety by riding about the countryside at night, dressed in sheets and hoods, frightening rural blacks. Reconstruction Southerners, depressed over military defeat and angry at the military occupation of the Union Army, quickly populated the Klan as it spread throughout the former Confederate states. Alabama's northern and western counties became particularly strong Klan areas, but the group appeared as far south as Mobile. Black Belt whites, though, preferred to entrust the preservation of white supremacy to Klan-like groups such as the Knights of the White Camelia, the White Brotherhood, the White League, and the Men of Peace. <<​

bullet.gif

Correct, as well as Union Leagues and general lawbreakers such as unfaithful or abusive husbands, debt-owers and the like.

The rest is irrelevant.

Remember when:
FP: Tell us a bit about the Democrats’ dark past when it comes to race, especially in regards to Woodrow Wilson, FDR, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon Johnson.
Bartlett: I grew up in New Jersey, where Wilson had been governor, so I thought I knew quite a bit about him. When I learned what a terrible racist he was I was taken aback. For example, one of the very first actions he took after becoming president in 1913 was to segregate the entire federal civil service. Where it was not possible to put blacks into separate buildings or offices, room dividers were installed to keep blacks and whites separated. Later, Wilson sponsored a showing at the White House of the racist film, “The Birth of a Nation.” Indeed, the author of the book upon which the movie was based, Thomas Dixon, was a close friend of Wilson’s and a very outspoken racist.
Franklin Roosevelt was someone who really didn’t care about black people one way or another.
While assistant secretary of the Navy in 1913, he signed the order creating separate washrooms for blacks and whites in what is now known as the Old Executive Office Building next to the White House. When he established the Warm Springs facility in Georgia to treat polio victims in the 1920s, it was for whites only. And when Roosevelt had his first opportunity to appoint a member of the Supreme Court in 1937, he chose Hugo Black, a life member of the Ku Klux Klan from Alabama. Later Roosevelt appointed another outspoken racist, James F. Byrnes of South Carolina, to the Supreme Court as well. After leaving the Court, Byrnes ran for governor of his home state for the express purpose of blocking school desegregation.

Bruce Bartlett: The racist history the Democratic Party wants you to forget (Interview)

Remember when:

Several segregationist councils threatened to hold protests at Central High and physically block the black students from entering the school. Governor Orval Faubus (Democrat) deployed the Arkansas National Guard to support the segregationists on September 4, 1957. The sight of a line of soldiers blocking out the students made national headlines and polarized the nation. Regarding the accompanying crowd, one of the nine students, Elizabeth Eckford, recalled:

They moved closer and closer. ... Somebody started yelling. ... I tried to see a friendly face somewhere in the crowd—someone who maybe could help. I looked into the face of an old woman and it seemed a kind face, but when I looked at her again, she spat on me.[6]

On September 9, the Little Rock School District issued a statement condemning the governor's deployment of soldiers to the school, and called for a citywide prayer service on September 12. Even President Dwight Eisenhower attempted to de-escalate the situation by summoning Faubus for a meeting, warning him not to defy the Supreme Court's ruling.[7]

Remember when:

Facing federalized Alabama National Guard troops, Alabama Governor George Wallace (Democrat) ends his blockade of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and allows two African American students to enroll.

George Wallace, one of the most controversial politicians in U.S. history, was elected governor of Alabama in 1962 under an ultra-segregationist platform. In his 1963 inaugural address, he promised his white followers: “Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!” When African American students attempted to desegregate the University of Alabama in June 1963, Alabama’s new governor, flanked by state troopers, literally blocked the door of the enrollment office. The U.S. Supreme Court, however, had declared segregation unconstitutional in 1954’s Brown v. Board of Education, and the executive branch undertook aggressive tactics to enforce the ruling.

We could raise them from the dead and you would still deny their proclamations because it hurts your party.

bullet.gif

bullet.gif

The rest is irrelevant.

Actually I've already posted their "proclamations" both way earlier in this thread and in the past in other threads. And nowhere do any of them say anything about politics.

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes
By Mike Allen
Thursday, July 14, 2005

-

RNC Chair Michael Steele Confesses to Race-Based Southern Strategy
by Tommy Christopher | 3:23 pm, April 23rd, 2010

-

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

RNC Chair Michael Steele Confesses to Race-Based Southern Strategy

You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can’t say “******”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******.”

Now, the same indefatigable researcher who brought us Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” remarks, James Carter IV, has dug up the entire forty-two-minute interview from which that quote derives. Here, The Nation publishes it in its entirety for the very first time.

Listen to the full forty-two-minute conversation with Atwater: Exclusive: Lee Atwater’s Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy

Remember when:
FP: Tell us a bit about the Democrats’ dark past when it comes to race, especially in regards to Woodrow Wilson, FDR, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon Johnson.
Bartlett: I grew up in New Jersey, where Wilson had been governor, so I thought I knew quite a bit about him. When I learned what a terrible racist he was I was taken aback. For example, one of the very first actions he took after becoming president in 1913 was to segregate the entire federal civil service. Where it was not possible to put blacks into separate buildings or offices, room dividers were installed to keep blacks and whites separated. Later, Wilson sponsored a showing at the White House of the racist film, “The Birth of a Nation.” Indeed, the author of the book upon which the movie was based, Thomas Dixon, was a close friend of Wilson’s and a very outspoken racist.
Franklin Roosevelt was someone who really didn’t care about black people one way or another.
While assistant secretary of the Navy in 1913, he signed the order creating separate washrooms for blacks and whites in what is now known as the Old Executive Office Building next to the White House. When he established the Warm Springs facility in Georgia to treat polio victims in the 1920s, it was for whites only. And when Roosevelt had his first opportunity to appoint a member of the Supreme Court in 1937, he chose Hugo Black, a life member of the Ku Klux Klan from Alabama. Later Roosevelt appointed another outspoken racist, James F. Byrnes of South Carolina, to the Supreme Court as well. After leaving the Court, Byrnes ran for governor of his home state for the express purpose of blocking school desegregation.

Bruce Bartlett: The racist history the Democratic Party wants you to forget (Interview)

Wilson was a racist asshole. But no he didn't 'sponsor' the screening of Birth of a Nation. That's bullshit.

FDR among other things used an EO to prohibit racial discrimination in war industries.

None of this is related to the topic anyway.

Remember when:

Several segregationist councils threatened to hold protests at Central High and physically block the black students from entering the school. Governor Orval Faubus (Democrat) deployed the Arkansas National Guard to support the segregationists on September 4, 1957. The sight of a line of soldiers blocking out the students made national headlines and polarized the nation. Regarding the accompanying crowd, one of the nine students, Elizabeth Eckford, recalled:

They moved closer and closer. ... Somebody started yelling. ... I tried to see a friendly face somewhere in the crowd—someone who maybe could help. I looked into the face of an old woman and it seemed a kind face, but when I looked at her again, she spat on me.[6]

On September 9, the Little Rock School District issued a statement condemning the governor's deployment of soldiers to the school, and called for a citywide prayer service on September 12. Even President Dwight Eisenhower attempted to de-escalate the situation by summoning Faubus for a meeting, warning him not to defy the Supreme Court's ruling.[7]

Again ----- totally off topic.

Remember when:

Facing federalized Alabama National Guard troops, Alabama Governor George Wallace (Democrat) ends his blockade of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and allows two African American students to enroll.

George Wallace, one of the most controversial politicians in U.S. history, was elected governor of Alabama in 1962 under an ultra-segregationist platform. In his 1963 inaugural address, he promised his white followers: “Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!” When African American students attempted to desegregate the University of Alabama in June 1963, Alabama’s new governor, flanked by state troopers, literally blocked the door of the enrollment office. The U.S. Supreme Court, however, had declared segregation unconstitutional in 1954’s Brown v. Board of Education, and the executive branch undertook aggressive tactics to enforce the ruling.

Yet again --- completely off topic.
George Wallace Jr., fun fact, is one of those Democrats who switched to Republican.

It was all about slavery. And once again Southerners were duped by the greedy idiot rich, the slave owners/plantation owners...
It had nothing to do with slavery until Lincoln decided to free the slaves as a war measure.
It had to do with the fears of southern aristocrats and their dupes. The usual conservative bigot operation.
You must be missing the part where they weren't conservatives, but Democrats that were keeping slaves. Hence your party being the one that filled the KKK and passed the Jim Crow laws~

The South has always been conservative throughout. You can't have slaves and not be conservative. It demands a hierarchical view of humans. You're perhaps too young to have seen enough of the world to know this but trust me. I grew up a child of parents from each side of the Mason Dixon line. I was immersed in both from an early age. White Southerners, while as a group conservatives, weren't Democrats because they were conservative but in spite of it. To get this you have to grasp something of the emotional history.

When the Civil War began there was no Republican Party in the South. Lincoln's name didn't even appear on ballots there in either election he ran in. The party was only six years old and concentrated its efforts in the North and Midwest, where it knew its support would be. Consequently in 1861 there were no Republicans in the South.

When the War was over the Republicans were seen culturally as the heavy hand of federal gummint (they were after all largely Whigs) and most deeply as the "party of Lincoln", the man who had defeated and humiliated it. Consequently it became unthinkable for white Southerners, who very much saw themselves as playing defense, to be a Republican, for a long long time. 99 years to be exact. As a result of that, the South was in effect a one-party State. You wanted to run for office, your choices were: (1) run as a Democrat, or (2) lose. That had to do much more with tradition than with any ideology. Tradition and the emotional baggage of Lincoln's name.

But that conservatism was always at odds with the rest of the Democratic Party's base, which was to its shame trying to be all things to all people to amass votes (which is after all what a political party exists for). Case in point, George Wallace in the 1960s constantly railing against "Liberals" -- he's talking about the other side of his own bipolar party. Case in point, the Dixiecrats who walked out of the Democratic convention in 1948 and ran their own candidates --- even got Harry Truman pulled off the ballot in at least one state. They did that because they were hearing way too much Liberalism from Truman and from then-Minneapolis Mayor Hubert Humphrey who made an impassioned speech for civil rights.

This bipolar tension was always there, even back to 1860 when Southerners also walked out of that year's convention and again ran their own ticket.

The short version --- "conservative" doesn't necessarily mean "Republican", even when Republicans became conservatives.

That all didn't change until 1964 (there's your 99 years) when Strom Thurmnd did the unthinkable and became a Republican. And he did that because the Democrats just weren't conservative enough and he couldn't hack it any more. It was a big step at the time because it was a huge break with tradition.

(Thurmond was a bit of a maverick though --- after he endorsed Eisenhower in 1952 the state Democrats kicked him off the ballot and he had to run as a write-in ..... which he won.)

The last part of your post ---- no, the Klan wasn't founded by or comprised of "Democrats" except to the point where they may have been coincidental. But it required no political party. Were some of the Klan also Democrats? Almost certainly. If you were white and registered with a party at all, you were usually a Democrat, whether you were a racist or not. Just as in Maine (the largest chapter outside the South) if you were a Klanner you were probably a Republican, again simply because they dominated Maine for the same hundred year period (1855-1955). But that doesn't make either party a causation.

You're wrong, name the Democrats who became Republicans from the 11 Confederate states who switched parties as you claim from 1861 to 2016...
All of them

Remember when:

In 1955, Reverend George Lee, vice president of the Regional Council of Negro Leadership and NAACP worker, was shot in the face and killed for urging blacks in the Mississippi Delta to vote. Although eyewitnesses saw a carload of whites drive by and shoot into Lee's automobile, the authorities failed to charge anyone. Governor Hugh White refused requests to send investigators to Belzoni, Mississippi, where the murder occurred.

In August 1955, Lamar Smith, sixty-three-year-old farmer and World War II veteran, was shot in cold blood on the crowded courthouse lawn in Brookhaven, Mississippi, for urging blacks to vote. In Local People, John Dittmer writes “although the sheriff saw a white man leaving the scene 'with blood all over him' no one admitted to having witnessed the shooting” and “the killer went free.”...

Perhaps the most notable episode of violence came in Freedom Summer of 1964, when civil rights activists James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner left their base in Meridian, Mississippi, to investigate one of a number of church burnings in the eastern part of the state. The Ku Klux Klan had burned Mount Zion Church because the minister had allowed it to be used as a meeting place for civil rights activists. After the three young men had gone into Neshoba County to investigate, they were subsequently stopped and arrested by Neshoba County Deputy Sheriff Cecil Price. After several hours, Price finally released them only to arrest them again shortly after 10 p.m. He then turned the civil rights workers over to his fellow Klansmen. The group took the activists to a remote area, beat them, and then shot them to death. Dittmer suggests that because Schwerner and Goodman were white the federal government responded by establishing an FBI office in Jackson and calling out the Mississippi National Guard and U. S. Navy to help search for the three men. Of course this was the response the Freedom Summer organizers had hoped for when they asked for white volunteers.

After several weeks of searching and recovering more than a dozen other bodies, the authorities finally found the civil rights workers buried under an earthen dam. Seven Klansmen, including Price, were arrested and tried for the brutal killings. A jury of sympathizers found them all not guilty. Some time later, the federal government charged the murderers with violating the civil rights of Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney. This time the Klansmen were convicted and served sentences ranging from two to ten years.

Forum List

Back