151 years ago today: Democrats founded and staffed the Ku Klux Klan

On Dec. 24, 1865, Democrats in the American South formed the Ku Klux Klan as a means of keeing uppity blacks in their place. They attacked the blacks, and any white Republicans who defended or support them, lynching and killing them when possible. Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day, with theDemocrat attacking, insulting, and pillorying blacks who dared to espouse viewpoints the Democrats disagree with.

-----------------------------------------------------------

KKK founded - Dec 24, 1865 - HISTORY.com

151 years ago KKK founded
December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans convenes to form a secret society that they christen the “Ku Klux Klan.” The KKK rapidly grew from a secret social fraternity to a paramilitary force bent on reversing the federal government’s progressive Reconstruction Era-activities in the South, especially policies that elevated the rights of the local African American population.

The name of the Ku Klux Klan was derived from the Greek word kyklos, meaning “circle,” and the Scottish-Gaelic word “clan,” which was probably chosen for the sake of alliteration. Under a platform of philosophized white racial superiority, the group employed violence as a means of pushing back Reconstruction and its enfranchisement of African Americans. Former Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard; in 1869, he unsuccessfully tried to disband it after he grew critical of the Klan’s excessive violence.

Most prominent in counties where the races were relatively balanced, the KKK engaged in terrorist raids against African Americans and white Republicans at night, employing intimidation, destruction of property, assault, and murder to achieve its aims and influence upcoming elections. In a few Southern states, Republicans organized militia units to break up the Klan. In 1871, the Ku Klux Act passed Congress, authorizing President Ulysses S. Grant to use military force to suppress the KKK. The Ku Klux Act resulted in nine South Carolina counties being placed under martial law and thousands of arrests.
the South has been looking for their lost clue and their lost Cause, ever since the "polarity shift" in political parties.

Conservative southerns angry about reconstruction after the civil war. Of course, I don't expect you republicans to understand basic political history.

"At the time of Ulysses S. Grant's election to the presidency, white supremacists were conducting a reign of terror throughout the South. In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power.

The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans."

WGBH American Experience . U.S. Grant: Warrior | PBS

Where's your evidence of your assertion that it Conservative Republicans founded the KKK? Or is just another of the Democrats attempts at historical revisionism?

I have shown you mine, now show me yours.
Stop your lying, Derelict. The vigilante KKK was a hard right ultra conservative terrorist organization.

What, Jake? Are you calling ultra-left NPR a liar?

You may be correct that, at the time, Democrats were considered conservative. What you are failing to acknowledge is that they were still Democrats and on the left.

As I have said to others before, present credible evidence of your assertion. Or are you just attempting to rewrite history?

You may be correct that, at the time,Democrats were considered conservative. What you are failing to acknowledge is that they were still Democrats. As I have said to others before, present credible evidence of your assertion. Or are you just attempting to rewrite history?
If this is a post about history, it's in the wrong forum. Linking post-Civil War Democrats with today's Democrats is what's not credible in the 'Politics' forum.

Conservative southerns angry about reconstruction after the civil war. Of course, I don't expect you republicans to understand basic political history.

"At the time of Ulysses S. Grant's election to the presidency, white supremacists were conducting a reign of terror throughout the South. In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power.

The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans."

Where's your evidence of your assertion that it Conservative Republicans founded the KKK? Or is just another of the Democrats attempts at historical revisionism?

Stop your lying, Derelict. The vigilante KKK was a hard right ultra conservative terrorist organization.

You may be correct that, at the time, Democrats were considered conservative. What you are failing to acknowledge is that they were still Democrats and on the left.

As I have said to others before, present credible evidence of your assertion. Or are you just attempting to rewrite history?
The NPR never said the Dems organized the KKK. That's a lie. The rest of your nonsense is nonsense. In the second wave of the KKK in the 1920s, from Washington State to Indiania and Ohio, many were Republican. You make a bad argument, kiddo, when you leave out all the info.

indeed by far

You know it! Those Democrats hate negroes and those negroes are so damned stupid that they always vote for them anyway!
What choice do they have?

Yes...but....what have they got to lose?
A lot. There is a lot of poverty in America and the Republicans have a history of being cruel to poor people.

Negros were Republican up until the 1930's and the Depression. At the time, many of them lived in abject poverty, and FDR and the New Deal promised them a way out.

By the 1960's, a full 2/3rds of blacks were Democrats, and 1/3 remained Republican. When LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 another 30% moved over to the Democrat Party.

Why Did Black Voters Flee The Republican Party In The 1960s?
Since that time, Democrat's revisionist history convinced blacks that Republican were responsible for slavery, and therefore the racists in society.

I know. Those blacks didn't have any legitimate historians among them so they just listened to whatever the DNC said and held there hand out for more of our tax dollars. The Democrats are the real racists.

On Dec. 24, 1865, Democrats in the American South formed the Ku Klux Klan as a means of keeing uppity blacks in their place. They attacked the blacks, and any white Republicans who defended or support them, lynching and killing them when possible. Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day, with theDemocrat attacking, insulting, and pillorying blacks who dared to espouse viewpoints the Democrats disagree with.

December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans convenes to form a secret society that they christen the “Ku Klux Klan.” The KKK rapidly grew from a secret social fraternity to a paramilitary force bent on reversing the federal government’s progressive Reconstruction Era-activities in the South, especially policies that elevated the rights of the local African American population.

The name of the Ku Klux Klan was derived from the Greek word kyklos, meaning “circle,” and the Scottish-Gaelic word “clan,” which was probably chosen for the sake of alliteration. Under a platform of philosophized white racial superiority, the group employed violence as a means of pushing back Reconstruction and its enfranchisement of African Americans. Former Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard; in 1869, he unsuccessfully tried to disband it after he grew critical of the Klan’s excessive violence.

Most prominent in counties where the races were relatively balanced, the KKK engaged in terrorist raids against African Americans and white Republicans at night, employing intimidation, destruction of property, assault, and murder to achieve its aims and influence upcoming elections. In a few Southern states, Republicans organized militia units to break up the Klan. In 1871, the Ku Klux Act passed Congress, authorizing President Ulysses S. Grant to use military force to suppress the KKK. The Ku Klux Act resulted in nine South Carolina counties being placed under martial law and thousands of arrests.
the South has been looking for their lost clue and their lost Cause, ever since the "polarity shift" in political parties.
The democrat kkk is the democrat kkk....

The NPR never said the Dems organized the KKK. That's a lie. The rest of your nonsense is nonsense. In the second wave of the KKK in the 1920s, from Washington State to Indiania and Ohio, many were Republican. You make a bad argument, kiddo, when you leave out all the info.
Democrats created the kkk....and you are a democrat....

There really isn't much more to say about you....

December 24, 2016

151 years ago today. Living in the 19th century, are you?

Slavery is something I've never been able to understand.
I guess I have a different mind set.
Rounding people up and putting them in chains and shipping them 4000 miles away is something I couldn't think up let alone try .
It was all about the $$$$.

Well a lot has changed since then. Republicans wanted to end slavery back then. Now they think they think it was a good thing.

Republicans and Democrats of today are very different then they were in the 1800s.

Well a lot has changed since then. Republicans wanted to end slavery back then. Now they think they think it was a good thing.

Republicans and Democrats of today are very different then they were in the 1800s.

Now that is funny, really funny. I assume that is YOUR opinion; and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Therefore, don't get angry when you are over ruled by most of the rest of America.

150 years ago......The "Democrat" party was the party of choice for the klan

Today, it is solidly Republican

December 24, 2016

151 years ago today. Living in the 19th century, are you?

So, what you're saying is that since history doesn't jive with your narrative, it's not relevant?

“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”
George Orwell

Last edited:

Now that is funny, really funny. I assume that is YOUR opinion; and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Therefore, don't get angry when you are over ruled by most of the rest of America.

You really believe republicans and democrats are the same as they were 151 years ago? Both parties have changed a lot. One being that republicans were progressive and democrats were conservative. That definitely isn't the case now.

You may be correct that, at the time,Democrats were considered conservative. What you are failing to acknowledge is that they were still Democrats. As I have said to others before, present credible evidence of your assertion. Or are you just attempting to rewrite history?
If this is a post about history, it's in the wrong forum. Linking post-Civil War Democrats with today's Democrats is what's not credible in the 'Politics' forum.
You democrats are what you are....klansmen....

You really believe republicans and democrats are the same as they were 151 years ago? Both parties have changed a lot. One being that republicans were progressive and democrats were conservative. That definitely isn't the case now.
We freed your slaves....sadness on you....

So, what you're saying is that since history doesn't jive with your narrative, it's not relevant? “The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” George Orwell
The point is, if you want to talk about history, post to the 'History' forum. Pretending that the Democratic Party is the same as it was in the post-Civil War era is a lie.

So, what you're saying is that since history doesn't jive with your narrative, it's not relevant? “The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” George Orwell
The point is, if you want to talk about history, post to the 'History' forum. Pretending that the Democratic Party is the same as it was in the post-Civil War era is a lie.
Your propaganda demonstrates clearly why the thread is in this forum.....

Forum List

Back