1901 Colt SAA in .32-20

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I did a deal on a 1901 4.50" barreled Colt SSA (1st gen) in .32-20 this morning.

I traded one of my (post-war) M1 Carbines for it.

The weird thing about this one is that it started life as a .38-40, was sent back to Colt at some point and they did the conversion to .32-20 and a refinish. No idea when as Colt refuses to give rebuild info when asked even with a factory letter.

ct 003 (2).JPG

ct 002 (2).JPG

ct 013 (2).JPG

I did a deal on a 1901 4.50" barreled Colt SSA (1st gen) in .32-20 this morning.

The weird thing about this one is that it started life as a .38-40, was sent back to Colt at some point and they did the conversion to .32-20 and a refinish. No idea when as Colt refuses to give rebuild info when asked even with a factory letter.

View attachment 715929

View attachment 715928

View attachment 715930

It could also have been rebarreled in Kansas City. There was a pretty well known gunsmith based there from 1885 till the 1920's, damned if I can remember his name though, he did a LOT of work on Colts. I have two that he rebarreled, one a .38-40 from a .25-20, and the other was a replacement 44-40.

It could also have been rebarreled in Kansas City. There was a pretty well known gunsmith based there from 1885 till the 1920's, damned if I can remember his name though, he did a LOT of work on Colts. I have two that he rebarreled, one a .38-40 from a .25-20, and the other was a replacement 44-40.
I posted it up on the Colt Forum and so far I've found out that it's definitely a Colt factory refinish but the jury is still out on if it was ever in .38-40 to start with.....There is a thought that the letter might be wrong as to caliber.

To be honest I'd lean that way myself but for the reworked recoil plate.

The guy in KS city, do you remember if he did the work then sent them off to Colt for a refinish?

I posted it up on the Colt Forum and so far I've found out that it's definitely a Colt factory refinish but the jury is still out on if it was ever in .38-40 to start with.....There is a thought that the letter might be wrong as to caliber.

To be honest I'd lean that way myself but for the reworked recoil plate.

The guy in KS city, do you remember if he did the work then sent them off to Colt for a refinish?

He did everything in house to the best of my knowledge. The problem with old Colts is they generally were USED! So it is not uncommon that they have had a lot of work done to them.

He did everything in house to the best of my knowledge. The problem with old Colts is they generally were USED! So it is not uncommon that they have had a lot of work done to them.
I think I'm going to call Colt Archive tomorrow and see if they could have made a mistake.....Meh, nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

But yeah, it was well used even after the refinish.....Nice bore still though.

I think I'm going to call Colt Archive tomorrow and see if they could have made a mistake.....Meh, nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

But yeah, it was well used even after the refinish.....Nice bore still though.

.32-20's in my experience, usually do. Same as .25-20's, I think they didn't get as much use.

View attachment 715929

View attachment 715928

View attachment 715930
Now that is sweet looking!

.32-20's in my experience, usually do. Same as .25-20's, I think they didn't get as much use.
Happy Days!

I just got off the phone with Joe from Colt Archives Properties and indeed the letter was wrong as to caliber. It left the factory as a .32-20.....Everything else was correct. :)

It just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake.....They are going to send me a updated letter free of charge and put it in my name.

I call that excellent customer service!

Happy Days!

I just got off the phone with Joe from Colt Archives Properties and indeed the letter was wrong as to caliber. It left the factory as a .32-20.....Everything else was correct. :)

It just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake.....They are going to send me a updated letter free of charge and put it in my name.

I call that excellent customer service!

Yeah, they are pretty good about that.

I tried to get a letter for my TSMG but she said, no, sorry...those records we don't have.

Bummer. It would be awesome to have a Colt letter with it!

Yeah, they are pretty good about that.

I tried to get a letter for my TSMG but she said, no, sorry...those records we don't have.

Bummer. It would be awesome to have a Colt letter with it!
They are odd with letters sometimes.....I bought a Colt Lighting rifle in .32-20 that was said to have a "Annie Oakley connection" but when the owner tried to get a letter he made the mistake of mentioning it and they wanted to charge him $300.00 for a letter.

He passed and I bought it from his widow (No shits given about the AO story) and had it lettered but I did not mention any historical connection......They charged the regular price and it confirmed some of the story as to where and when it was sold.....Still just a story though.

a_003__2__JPG-1926828.JPG

They are odd with letters sometimes.....I bought a Colt Lighting rifle in .32-20 that was said to have a "Annie Oakley connection" but when the owner tried to get a letter he made the mistake of mentioning it and they wanted to charge him $300.00 for a letter.

He passed and I bought it from his widow (No shits given about the AO story) and had it lettered but I did not mention any historical connection......They charged the regular price and it confirmed some of the story as to where and when it was sold.....Still just a story though.

a_003__2__JPG-1926828.JPG

In general they charge 300.00 for letters that are of a certain age. And I think it is 350.00 I lettered a Colt Model 1851 Navy and that was 350.00 because it was pre Civil War.

Forum List

Back