1984 wasn't supposed to be a how to Manual-Wikipedia Shuts down edits on "Recession"

“Wall Street is collapsing, we are in a recession” - Mayor of NY

“we are in financial crisis,like you can never imagine” he added

Some dems are seeing reality and calling a spade a spade even with Xiden’s lies

I know! And you still got it wrong.

“The NBER uses key monthly indicators of economic output, including employment, industrial production, real personal income, and wholesale and retail sales - to determine when economic growth has turned negative, rather than relying solely on two quarterly declines in GDP.
yeah they said they look at additional factors to determine how long a prior recession started

i think you can….we were likely in a recession well before these last gdp numbers came out…

yeah they said they look at additional factors to determine how long a prior recession started

i think you can….we were likely in a recession well before these last gdp numbers came out…
That’s not what they said at all.

yes m…do you understand the words?
Q: The financial press often states the definition of a recession as two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. How does that relate to the NBER's recession dates?

A: Most of the recessions identified by our procedures do consist of two or more consecutive quarters of declining real GDP, but not all of them. In 2001, for example, the recession did not include two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. In the recession from the peak in December 2007 to the trough in June 2009, real GDP declined in the first, third, and fourth quarters of 2008 and in the first and second quarters of 2009. Real GDI declined for the final three quarters of 2001 and for five of the six quarters in the 2007–2009 recession.

Q: Why doesn't the committee accept the two-quarter definition?

A: There are several reasons. First, we do not identify economic activity solely with real GDP, but consider a range of indicators. Second, we consider the depth of the decline in economic activity. The NBER definition includes the phrase, “a significant decline in economic activity." Thus real GDP could decline by relatively small amounts in two consecutive quarters without warranting the determination that a peak had occurred. Third, our main focus is on the monthly chronology, which requires consideration of monthly indicators. Fourth, in examining the behavior of production on a quarterly basis, where real GDP data are available, we give equal weight to real GDI. The difference between GDP and GDI—called the “statistical discrepancy”—was particularly important in the recessions of 2001 and 2007–2009.

Q: The financial press often states the definition of a recession as two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. How does that relate to the NBER's recession dates?

A: Most of the recessions identified by our procedures do consist of two or more consecutive quarters of declining real GDP, but not all of them. In 2001, for example, the recession did not include two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. In the recession from the peak in December 2007 to the trough in June 2009, real GDP declined in the first, third, and fourth quarters of 2008 and in the first and second quarters of 2009. Real GDI declined for the final three quarters of 2001 and for five of the six quarters in the 2007–2009 recession.

Q: Why doesn't the committee accept the two-quarter definition?

A: There are several reasons. First, we do not identify economic activity solely with real GDP, but consider a range of indicators. Second, we consider the depth of the decline in economic activity. The NBER definition includes the phrase, “a significant decline in economic activity." Thus real GDP could decline by relatively small amounts in two consecutive quarters without warranting the determination that a peak had occurred. Third, our main focus is on the monthly chronology, which requires consideration of monthly indicators. Fourth, in examining the behavior of production on a quarterly basis, where real GDP data are available, we give equal weight to real GDI. The difference between GDP and GDI—called the “statistical discrepancy”—was particularly important in the recessions of 2001 and 2007–2009.
ok…you can post it and post it, but that’s not going to help you understand it. read each word

actually we have likely been in a recession much longer then just last week…likely months now

ok…you can post it and post it, but that’s not going to help you understand it. read each word
The NBER does not define a recession as two quarters of negative GDP growth.

Fact.

If you think they do, prove it.

The NBER does not define a recession as two quarters of negative GDP growth.

Fact.

If you think they do, prove it.
i didn’t say they did….there are other factors they look at as well.
frankly we have been in a recession much longer then just when the GDP numbers came out

i didn’t say they did….there are other factors they look at as well.
frankly we have been in a recession much longer then just when the GDP numbers came out
Yes. There are other factors. Why do you only focus on one?

Meaning just because GDP went down a little, doesn’t mean we are in a recession. That’s why there’s no official declaration of a recession.

Yes. There are other factors. Why do you only focus on one?

Meaning just because GDP went down a little, doesn’t mean we are in a recession. That’s why there’s no official declaration of a recession.
i’m not…i’ve said we were in a recession weeks ago…the gdp just pushed us over the edge

inflation, misery index, interest rates, slowing demand, and now well the gdp…it’s pretty clear we are in one ans it’s not going to get better anytime soon

i’m not…i’ve said we were in a recession weeks ago…the gdp just pushed us over the edge

inflation, misery index, interest rates, slowing demand, and now well the gdp…it’s pretty clear we are in one ans it’s not going to get better anytime soon
Oh I get it. You think you get to declare a recession and not the actual experts. Pretty ballsy.

Interest rates and inflation are not signs of a recession.

Demand has not slowed. PCE is up. GDI is even up. Employment is up.

GDP did go down but based primarily on inventories. No one would call 0.9% drop a deep recession.

Oh I get it. You think you get to declare a recession and not the actual experts. Pretty ballsy.

Interest rates and inflation are not signs of a recession.

Demand has not slowed. PCE is up. GDI is even up. Employment is up.

GDP did go down but based primarily on inventories. No one would call 0.9% drop a deep recession.
demand is down…hence the gas prices going down a little and why gdp continues to be negative

there a numerous things to consider…at least according to your link

it’s pretty clear we are in a recession many experts have made that clear…

demand is down…hence the gas prices going down a little and why gdp continues to be negative

there a numerous things to consider…at least according to your link

it’s pretty clear we are in a recession many experts have made that clear…
Where’s your data?

Forum List

Back