2 year old taken by alligator at Disney

Moral to the story. Don't come to Florida. We have gators. Go to Disney in Calufornia.

That is correct gator is a common place here in Florida signs all over the place. You would think Florida should know better but look at the chart last year alone one fatality and 9 bites.
Also signs...... *No Swimming* but you can still play in the shallow water or at the edge of the water. Not good enough. This tragedy happened inside Disney property. They are very aware that there are gators in their ponds. Regularly they removed gators inside Disney properties. And as far as I remember there was a boy that got bitten by gator inside Disney property but forgot what year.
IMHO........ It's not the gator fault but Disney is responsible for this tragedy.

How often do alligator attacks happen in Florida?

20,000,000 people live in Florida and last year a total of ONE person died from a gator, and 9 total bites (including that death).

So 9 out of 20,000,000 people were bit by gators? It's more dangerous to cross the street at a crosswalk-should they have signs there warning you that you could get hit by a car-signs typically only tell you when it's safe or unsafe to cross (provided drivers are following the law)?

Also according to your post 2015 was the first fatality since 2007. That's 8 years without a fatality.

So in EIGHT years ONE person was killed by an alligator...

Pygmys are much more dangerous-should they have signs warning about them at Disney, or do pygmys actively choose not to go onto Disney property?

I go fishing around gators constantly-and they're of no concern to me. I'm talking about I literally sit in a kayak/canoe and fish in the same river(s) that gators actively live in. Granted I'm not foolish enough to go near their nests and I give them their space when necessary. It's the water moccasins that I'm worried about.

I'm safe because I respect the gators and their territory. If you don't (and these parents did NOT), you might pay for it (and they did). They were warned-they chose to ignore warnings and went in anyway. I feel bad for the child-but that's life, that's nature. The world is an unforgiving place and stupid decisions (yes they made a stupid decisions) can be life or death-that's the world we live in.

Last edited:
That is correct gator is a common place here in Florida signs all over the place. You would think Florida should know better but look at the chart last year alone one fatality and 9 bites.
Also signs...... *No Swimming* but you can still play in the shallow water or at the edge of the water. Not good enough. This tragedy happened inside Disney property. They are very aware that there are gators in their ponds. Regularly they removed gators inside Disney properties. And as far as I remember there was a boy that got bitten by gator inside Disney property but forgot what year.
IMHO........ It's not the gator fault but Disney is responsible for this tragedy.

20,000,000 people live in Florida and last year a total of ONE person died from a gator, and 9 total bites (including that death).

So 9 out of 20,000,000 people were bit by gators? It's more dangerous to cross the street at a crosswalk-should they have signs there warning you that you could get hit by a car-signs typically only tell you when it's safe or unsafe to cross (provided drivers are following the law)?

Also according to your post 2015 was the first fatality since 2007. That's 8 years without a fatality.

Pygmys are much more dangerous-should they have signs warning about them at Disney, or do pygmys actively choose not to go onto Disney property?

I go fishing around gators constantly-and they're of no concern to me. I'm talking about I literally sit in a kayak/canoe and fish in the same river(s) that gators actively live in. Granted I'm not foolish enough to go near their nests and I give them their space when necessary. It's the water moccasins that I'm worried about.

I'm safe because I respect the gators and their territory. If you don't (and these parents did NOT), you might pay for it (and they did). They were warned-they chose to ignore warnings and went in anyway. I feel bad for the child-but that's life, that's nature. The world is an unforgiving place and stupid decisions (yes they made a stupid decisions) can be life or death-that's the world we live in.

That's mighty of you to compare yourself to the world.
1. Sign *No Swimming* is not good enough as a warning sign. Have you seen the set up or been there? I can still go play by the edge of the water or shallow part. As long as I do NOT go swimming. That is Disney fault not the guest. Why not just a make SSS (simple stupid sign)? Like picture of a gator.
Are you aware that there are people that never go swimming?
2. Comparing 1 fatality and 9 bites last year.......... Don't you think that's too many considering these are Florida residents? Don't you think they should know better?
I'm like you...... I go fishing, kayaking and respect the nature. But I also go hunting, sky jump, rock climbing, dancing, beach volley ball, basket ball, golf........... But I will never dare to compare my einsteinism to the rest of the world.
3. There are part of this world that there are no gator or crocodiles. There are part of this country that there are no gators. And yes millions of people are not aware that gators exist in Florida.

-Gators wont come out of the water to attack you, they don't feel safe out of the water. They'll come out to sun bathe and that's about it
That is not true. People like you are somewhat responsible for people getting attacked by gators.

First, some mad man gunned down pop singer Christina Grimmie. Then, that Islamic attacker did his jihad at the nightclub, producing the deadliest attack on American soil since 9/11.

Now, an alligator gobbled up a boy at a Disney World hotel.

Alligator drags child in lake at Disney resort, deputies say

We don't need to ban Muslims. We just shouldn't give them access to guns. Same way we shouldn't ban alligators from Florida. We just shouldn't give them access to our children.

When it comes to the signs at crosswalks, how many still cross the street despite the "person" symbol being read meaning don't walk? A better question is how many that crossed when the sign was don't walk would blame the driver of the car that hit them?

-Gators wont come out of the water to attack you, they don't feel safe out of the water. They'll come out to sun bathe and that's about it
That is not true. People like you are somewhat responsible for people getting attacked by gators.
Stupid. Ravi. You are stupid.
Ha! I'm a lot smarter than that asshole.
Nope! Sorry.
Yep. First he goes on and on about a human not being able to out run a gator, they he insists they only come on land to sun themselves.

:lmao:

He's probably a Trump supporter.

Nope! Sorry.
Yep. First he goes on and on about a human not being able to out run a gator, they he insists they only come on land to sun themselves.

When was the last time you saw a gator chasing someone down the street?

Nope! Sorry.

Are you saying the morning cartoon shows some of these people are raised on asa primary information source don't portray animals and wildlife realistically? They not only chase people, they wear hats and sing songs!!!

1. Sign *No Swimming* is not good enough as a warning sign. Have you seen the set up or been there? I can still go play by the edge of the water or shallow part. As long as I do NOT go swimming. That is Disney fault not the guest. Why not just a make SSS (simple stupid sign)? Like picture of a gator.
2. Comparing 1 fatality and 9 bites last year.......... Don't you think that's too many considering these are Florida residents? Don't you think they should know better?
I'm like you...... I go fishing, kayaking and respect the nature. But I also go hunting, sky jump, rock climbing, dancing, beach volley ball, basket ball, golf........... But I will never dare to compare my einsteinism to the rest of the world.
3. There are part of this world that there are no gator or crocodiles. There are part of this country that there are no gators. And yes millions of people are not aware that gators exist in Florida.

1) Actually I have been there before, it's where my sister got married. guess how many kids in attendance went into the water? ZERO.

2) Disney clearly told people NOT to go into the water. They don't need to tell you all of the riskes. If there's a picture of an alligator and they get bitten by a water mocassin is that Disney's fault?

3) You're right there are, but not in Florida.

4) I'm not suggesting that I'm a genius-I'm suggesting that if there's a sign that tell me NOT to go swimming....that I probably shouldn't bring a 2-year old into the water with me into the water.

Actually it is. Have you had interactions with gators before? Do you even live in a place that's populated with gators. I had gators in the pond outside of my house for 16 years, and the only time I ever saw them out of the water was to sunbathe (which gators do do, because they are reptiles and are cold blooded). I have plenty of times out on the river(s). Do you know what they do when they feel threatened? They dive into the water for protection-because that's where they feel safe (the first time they do this can be intimidating if you're on a smaller boat).

Unless you approach a gator that's already outside of the water-they will not approach you. Even if you do, unless they're protecting their nest they will almost certainly run.

It's people like you who are uninformed (yet seem to think that they are) that are the problem.

Here's the real question:

It's dark outside, there are signs say no swimming, you're in an unfamiliar setting in a place you're unfamiliar with...why would you bring a 2 year old child into that water? It's a STUPID decision. I get that people would rather go after a corporation than a family that lived through everybody's worst nightmare, but give me a break. There has to be some sort of personal responsibility for parents and their actions. Being a parent does not exempt you from poor decision making.

. Are you trying to suggest that all circumstances surrounding an individual event are the same as every other event ? In each event you have specifics that tell about each event and it's unique circumstances that led up to, and then caused the event to take place. Disney is named in the chain of events, and so it will be determined as to what role it had in the event, and as to whether or not their responsibility was met when it came to having a protocol, a prevention program, and a safety program in the entertainment of their guest while on Disney's property. The fact that these guest were somewhat ignorant to how gators react while being in their natural habitat, and that they feed at night as predators do, puts the onus on Disney to educate their guest upon arrival about such things as that. It could have been done in an orientation or something, and that would have helped big time. Them being a corporation, and not knowing these things or practicing them is stunning to say the least.

1) Actually I have been there before, it's where my sister got married. guess how many kids in attendance went into the water? ZERO.

2) Disney clearly told people NOT to go into the water. They don't need to tell you all of the riskes. If there's a picture of an alligator and they get bitten by a water mocassin is that Disney's fault?

3) You're right there are, but not in Florida.

4) I'm not suggesting that I'm a genius-I'm suggesting that if there's a sign that tell me NOT to go swimming....that I probably shouldn't bring a 2-year old into the water with me into the water.

2. Maybe Disney told people not to go to the water but are they there 24 hours warning guest? The sign *No Swimming Please* will not stop anybody from going to the edge of the water or playing at the edge. As long as they don't go swimming.................. they met the warning guidelines. If there is a picture of alligator yes that will help a lot and it's self explanatory. The tragedy happened inside Disney's property. Disney is responsible for any accident or any fatalities inside their property. The incident did not happen in IS 75 or 95.
4. Why would a sign....... No Swimming Please....... will stop you from going to the water? Read number 4.

See link below regarding sign problem at Disney world.

Should Disney Have Done More to Warn People About Alligators? Resort Criticized for Not Having Signs Like Neighboring Hotel

When it comes to the signs at crosswalks, how many still cross the street despite the "person" symbol being read meaning don't walk? A better question is how many that crossed when the sign was don't walk would blame the driver of the car that hit them?
. Matters not, because Disney entices it's guest to party and play by the waters edge where gators lerk, and that sucks for Disney in this specific case. No one is enticing people to play in traffic, and at least the traffic warning signs were specific.

. Matters not, because Disney entices it's guest to party and play by the waters edge where gators lerk, and that sucks for Disney in this specific case. No one is enticing people to play in traffic, and at least the traffic warning signs were specific.

When is tempting someone illegal?

Actually it is. Have you had interactions with gators before? Do you even live in a place that's populated with gators. I had gators in the pond outside of my house for 16 years, and the only time I ever saw them out of the water was to sunbathe (which gators do do, because they are reptiles and are cold blooded). I have plenty of times out on the river(s). Do you know what they do when they feel threatened? They dive into the water for protection-because that's where they feel safe (the first time they do this can be intimidating if you're on a smaller boat).

Unless you approach a gator that's already outside of the water-they will not approach you. Even if you do, unless they're protecting their nest they will almost certainly run.

It's people like you who are uninformed (yet seem to think that they are) that are the problem.

Here's the real question:

It's dark outside, there are signs say no swimming, you're in an unfamiliar setting in a place you're unfamiliar with...why would you bring a 2 year old child into that water? It's a STUPID decision. I get that people would rather go after a corporation than a family that lived through everybody's worst nightmare, but give me a break. There has to be some sort of personal responsibility for parents and thsseir actions. Being a parent does not exempt you from poor decision making.
Yeah, asshole, I go hiking in the Everglades on a regular basis. Gators do not just come out to sunbathe. Your disbelief that no one could out run a gator collides with your assertion that no one needs to.

Nope! Sorry.

. We as in my line crew were riding across a swamp once, and the road and bridges are level with this swamp. It is filled with snakes and gators. We know about gators here, but when I stopped the line truck one day, a worker who thinks he can talk to the animals (Dr. Dolittle type), got out and approached a gator that was laying in the grass. As he got close, the gator turned quickly and puffed up making a puffing noise. He quickly turned and got away from the gator. He said on his arrival back to the truck, "I must be lost my mind or something, because them critters can out run me in their habitat, and what if I would have fallen down when running away he said" ? I told him, well with you knowing all of that, it makes me think that you did have a serious lax in judgement when did what you did. I'm glad nothing happened, because my boss would have said, "what were you doing stopping there in the first place ? Hey a feller has to kick a tire sometimes (i.e. go number one/take a wizz).

Forum List

Back