🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2014 World Cup Thread

Can anyone tell me how a team that finished 1-2-1 is worthy from a call from the President of the United States?

I mean sure they advanced to the first elimination game but 1-2-1? What the hell would have happened had they beat Belgium? The President declare a National Holiday?
Not about the result. It's about how well they represented their country.

Can anyone tell me how a team that finished 1-2-1 is worthy from a call from the President of the United States?

I mean sure they advanced to the first elimination game but 1-2-1? What the hell would have happened had they beat Belgium? The President declare a National Holiday?

Since when does one have to be 'worthy' of a call from Obama?

And presidents call WC teams often. I know Bush called the 02 team. TBH, my feeling is that presidents have plenty of time to do stuff like this. The puppet masters are the ones with less time for leisure.

Because the US team had never progressed that far in the World Cup.

Fuck that. A loss is a loss. We shouldn't award mediocrity.

Wrong, they went to the Quarterfinals in 2002.

Wrong, they went to the Quarterfinals in 2002.

They went to a semi and finished in third place in 1930.

Think this goes back to Americans having a very hard time accepting that we just aren't top dogs in the soccer world. I think that instead of meeting that revelation with indifference because the USMNT has rarely been up to snuff, as we've done for so many years in the past, people are actively getting behind the team to do whatever it takes to change that and this WC was massive step in that direction. They didn't go out with a whimper, they went out like warriors.

It's for that reason that this was deserving of a call from the President imo.

The very great majority of Americans couldn't give less of a shit that we aren't "top dogs" in soccer because the very great majority of Americans couldn't give less of a shit about soccer in general. This, of course, is why we aren't "top dogs" in soccer. This, of course, makes the very small minority of soccer fans among US citizens frustrated, defensive, and generally bananas. This, of course, makes it very fun and easy to wind them up and watch them 'perform.' Such performances are much more interesting than soccer ever will be to the very great majority of Americans.

Anyway, I understand our women's team is pretty good.

As for the President's phone call, it is much more in keeping with obama's plans and philosophy to see the US lose than for us to dominate - in any venue, so of course he'd congratulate such an outcome.

Argentina is through, with a very professional 1-0 victory over Belgium. Similar to Germany's victory, Argentina went ahead early. But unlike the French, Belgium looked like they could have leveled it.

The very great majority of Americans couldn't give less of a shit that we aren't "top dogs" in soccer because the very great majority of Americans couldn't give less of a shit about soccer in general. This, of course, is why we aren't "top dogs" in soccer. This, of course, makes the very small minority of soccer fans among US citizens frustrated, defensive, and generally bananas. This, of course, makes it very fun and easy to wind them up and watch them 'perform.' Such performances are much more interesting than soccer ever will be to the very great majority of Americans.

All you had to say was "I don't know shit about soccer, but I'm gonna hate on it anyway".

That would been way more accurate than what you actually posted lol

Argentina is through, with a very professional 1-0 victory over Belgium. Similar to Germany's victory, Argentina went ahead early. But unlike the French, Belgium looked like they could have leveled it.

Argentina did what the US team should have done- they won!!

Next up...the Ticos! Go Costa Rica!!!

US would have won if Wondo would've make the simple tap pass to Dempsey. I'm still mad that I didn't get to see the US vs Messi quarterfinal.

All you had to say was "I don't know shit about soccer, but I'm gonna hate on it anyway".

Ah yes, the endless mantra of the frustrated soccer fan: "You just don't get it, man! It's beeeaaauuuuutiful!"

You know, all the die-hard golf fans I know realize that a lot of people just don't find golf interesting. They don't care and they don't take it personally. Same goes for baseball fans. But soccer fans cannot help but get their panties in a bunch over a sport most Americans find boring as hell at best. If the teeming masses in other countries want to burn their cities to the ground and engage in murder and cannibalism over some fop pretending to be on death's doorstep because some other tinker-bell came within three feet of him, by which histrionics he managed to secure a rousing 'tie' then by all means let them. Americans, by and large, just don't give a shit about soccer. 90% of those who were pretending to care when the US was still in this competition have already forgotten about it. Another 9% will forget it a day or two after this World Cup is over. That leaves 1% at best who really do like and follow the sport. Good for them. Let them enjoy their minority interest, but accept the fact that the vast majority of Americans just don't care.

Ah yes, the endless mantra of the frustrated soccer fan: "You just don't get it, man! It's beeeaaauuuuutiful!"

You know, all the die-hard golf fans I know realize that a lot of people just don't find golf interesting. They don't care and they don't take it personally. Same goes for baseball fans. But soccer fans cannot help but get their panties in a bunch over a sport most Americans find boring as hell at best. If the teeming masses in other countries want to burn their cities to the ground and engage in murder and cannibalism over some fop pretending to be on death's doorstep because some other tinker-bell came within three feet of him, by which histrionics he managed to secure a rousing 'tie' then by all means let them. Americans, by and large, just don't give a shit about soccer. 90% of those who were pretending to care when the US was still in this competition have already forgotten about it. Another 9% will forget it a day or two after this World Cup is over. That leaves 1% at best who really do like and follow the sport. Good for them. Let them enjoy their minority interest, but accept the fact that the vast majority of Americans just don't care.
Wah-wah-wah-wah-I don't care-wah-wah-wah-soccer sucks-wah-wah-wah

Again, that's the extent of your long-winded bloviating.

Just accept the fact that Americans don't care about soccer. To the extent that they are aware of it at all, most actively dislike it. You like it? Fine, enjoy, but put on some non-twist panties if you want to talk about it.

US would have won if Wondo would've make the simple tap pass to Dempsey. I'm still mad that I didn't get to see the US vs Messi quarterfinal.

It was a WIDE OPEN net too.....so close!!

Personally, I don't care if you like the sport or not, Unk. Nor do I care that you like sumo wrestling. That's your business.

But the reason why soccer fans get "their panties in a knot" is because the haters drone on and on and on and on about how boring soccer is unlike no other sport. My advice is always to ignore the haters. Their continued whining that soccer is boring IS boring. It's the ultimate cliche when some American fan whines that soccer is boring.

As for the numbers and the argument that most people don't care, well that's true of ALL sports in America. Most people don't care. Roughly 5% of Americans watched the World Series, the NBA Championship or Monday Night Football. That means the other 95% of Americans don't watch and don't care a whole lot. Even the granddaddy of American Sports, two-thirds of Americans won't watch the Super Bowl.

So live and let live. The incessant whining that Americans don't like soccer is old.

Forum List

Back