🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2nd reddest state in US (OK) puts child murderer to death despite "mental illness" claim

From what I read in that article only, the appeal did not argue that his mental illness made him not guilty by reason of insanity for killing his daughter. They cited the cruel and unusual clause and said that the death penalty is cruel and unusual if applied to a mentally ill person.

I don't really have an opinion about that, I see merit on both sides of that issue.

Here's my take: The law and order types who want society to be made safer from murderers by executing them, might go along with a lifetime of confinement in a mental facility for those who commit crimes while insane. The problem is that those facilities will "cure" the insane person and release them, as they did John Hinckley.

1666459409018.png

Hinckley shot President Reagan, a secret service officer, a police officer and press secretary James Brady, who later bizarrely blamed the gun for his permanent disability.

He's out with his twitter business. Why not? He's not guilty of anything . . .

From what I read in that article only, the appeal did not argue that his mental illness made him not guilty by reason of insanity for killing his daughter. They cited the cruel and unusual clause and said that the death penalty is cruel and unusual if applied to a mentally ill person.

I don't really have an opinion about that, I see merit on both sides of that issue.

Here's my take: The law and order types who want society to be made safer from murderers by executing them, might go along with a lifetime of confinement in a mental facility for those who commit crimes while insane. The problem is that those facilities will "cure" the insane person and release them, as they did John Hinckley.

Hinckley shot President Reagan, a secret service officer, a police officer and press secretary James Brady, who later bizarrely blamed the gun for his permanent disability.

He's out with his twitter business. Why not? He's not guilty of anything . . .

and so what? The two crazy women who tried to shoot Jerry Ford in the 1970's also got released. So assuming that they hadn't found Hinkley insane, he'd probably still be out by now. It wasn't like he killed anyone.

and so what? The two crazy women who tried to shoot Jerry Ford in the 1970's also got released. So assuming that they hadn't found Hinkley insane, he'd probably still be out by now. It wasn't like he killed anyone.
As I read that, the theme from Twilight Zone started playing in my head.

again, we should only execute serial murderers, cop killers and those who sell out our country in time of actual (not cold) war.

Why should the murder of a law enforcement officer be treated as any worse than the murder of any other human being, especially of an innocent child?

As far as am concerned, death should be the default penalty for any murder of any innocent human being, in the absence of significant mitigating circumstances.

Locking a subhuman criminal up “for life” doesn't guarantee that some left wrong-wing piece-of-shit governor or judge won't find some excuse to turn it loose to kill again.

But yet we have example after example after example of murderers never getting released.

The guy was a piece of shit, they should have bent him over in a hyd press and pushed the button.

Why should the murder of a law enforcement officer be treated as any worse than the murder of any other human being, especially of an innocent child?

As far as am concerned, death should be the default penalty for any murder of any innocent human being, in the absence of significant mitigating circumstances.

Mormon Bob getting his Blood Atonement Murder Chubby.

The problem with the Death penalty is you will INEVITABLY put innocent people to death. We probably already have in this country.

185 people have been released from Death Row because they were exonerated.

We just aren't good enough at this justice thing to have an irreversible penalty.

Did I need to use smaller words, Corky?

People who commit ACTUAL murder get less time than Hinkley got.
He tried to murder ACTUAL president and three government officials. Only by lack of knowledge of guns did he fail. The fact that actual murders get out of prison is observed.

But that doesn't make letting an attempted murderer get away with no prison time any better. If he tried to kill four people because he was insane, why isn't he just going to try to kill more people now? Please say because he's cured so I can have a good laugh

What if the guy regreted it? What if it happend in the heat of the moment and he didn't intend to kill her? I doubt that is the case but what if?

We don't even have that information or I haven't found it anyhow..

It is a seroius thing to take anyone's life.. God is the only who can create life and HE should be the ONLY one to take it (except in certain specified situations where innocent people need to be protected...)

He forcibly bent her backward, breaking her spine and tearing her aorta. That's not something someone does in the heat of the moment.

What if the guy regreted it? What if it happend in the heat of the moment and he didn't intend to kill her? I doubt that is the case but what if?

It is a seroius thing to take anyone's life.. God is the only who can create life and HE should be the ONLY one to take it (except in certain specified situations where innocent people need to be protected...)
"Heat of the moment" usually means 2nd degree murder, for which you don't the death penalty.

thanks for reminding me of the other reason I am against the death penalty except for convicted (and upheld on appeal) serial murderers, etc...

a lot of innocent people have been put to death. DNA has exonerated the ones who were not executed b4 the new evidence came to light (but would have been w/ o that evidence)
Actually very few innocent people have been put to death, maybe a couple dozen since 1900.

On the other hand, how many convicted murderers have gone on to kill again? Quite a few, I imagine.

Doesn't the Bible also say an eye for an eye?
Punish the Criminality, Not the Crime a Thug Finally Gets Caught Doing

Actually, it should be "an eye for a tooth." Someone who goes around knocking people's teeth out should at least be disabled from his thugness.
Although mistakenly used by those tough on crime, the lex talionis is not realistic. It logically follows from this fake toughness that if someone robs a bank, all he has to do is give the money back and all will be forgiven.

God gave man the death penalty, read Leviticus. Even for homosexuality.

Forum List

Back