4 year old exercises his second amendment rights

No he doesn't, but his mother does. It's her job, not the gov'ts, to act responsibly when owning a gun.

I grew up in a living room with a gun rack that had at least 7 guns in it, the largest a 30-30. Amazingly, I never shot anyone, was never shot at, and grew up hunting and fishing with my dad. I was given a brand new 20 gauge for my 13th birthday. I loved that gun and still do. The only thing to meet its demise at the business end of that little Winchester was a few nuisance beaver and nutria.

But his mother has shown herself incapable of doing that job. Does the child not have the right to protection from his parents inadequacy ?

Yes. That is why we have social services to investigate claims.
Thats a bit reactive. The child could have shot himself yesterday. Would it not be better for all gun owners to receive training on how to keep their guns safe from children ?

Yes it would....but it cannot be mandated...that would be a violation of a Right. You in Britain persecuted people in foreign countries...our democrats here persecuted blacks once they were free. .....to keep the newly freed blacks from voting the democrats created a "Literacy" test...because almost all of the newly freed blacks were unable to read...so requiring that voters be able to read kept blacks from voting.

I am all for good training.....but too many anti gunners here will use it to deny the poor the right to bear arms.....

"I am all for good training.....but too many anti gunners here will use it to deny the poor the right to bear arms"
Best line ever. That should end all arguments with the gun grabbing Liberals.

If guns stop 1,500,000 crimes a year that equates to 4100 a day.

Gunguy always posts up when this happens but it amounts to 1 or 2 a week.

I make that a couple of hundred a year at best.

Where are all of these other events taking place ?

Most of the cases of gun self defense are simply warning the attacker that you are armed and ready to defend yourself...then the attacker runs away ....to find an unarmed victim.....the victim does not file a police report on an attack that did not happen...because the gun stopped it.

The next level is where the criminal is held at gun point for police....not always sexy for the t.v. news unless there is dramatic video....

the next level....attacker shot but not killed....and only for t.v. with video....

The smallest number of times an attacker is too stupid to stop or run away and they press the attack...and get killed....this usually will make local news...but not national news.....

And the press over here doesn't like to cover victims fighting off criminals....goes against their anti gun bias...the story has to be pretty good to make national news......

I kind of like the pink one for sissy. It looks great next to her Barbie doll!

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA
I got that beat, by miles:
ShootingKitty1.jpg

And it matches her Hello Kitty panties...

I don't think this girl likes pink guns.....

Even if its only a couple hundred that's still a number of people who didn't get beaten, raped, robed or murdered. care to explain how that's a bad thing,

Look at it this way a new a widget is invented that if used correctly would save 200 people a year from being maimed or killed, 200 sounds like a lot now doesn't it.

And here is a look at the media....

KORWIN: The Undetectable Gun Myth & If Self Defense Was Common News Would Report It To You Myth

If-Self-Defense-Was-Common-It-Would-Be-In-The-News-More Myth:

“It’s easy to prove that guns serve no valid purpose, because if they really stopped crime and worked for self defense you’d see it more in the news! Hah!”

Case in point: The Fabricius Case is about an ASU professor who, with his high-school-student son, counted local crime stories, decided self defense is rare, and declared it a scientific study. The community paper (now defunct), and a medical journal (from Canada), ran the “conclusion” as if it meant something. They took heat, but let it stand (juicy details at the link).

The media deliberately suppresses stories about self defense and highlights stories about misuse of guns, “for reasons that were unclear at press time.”

Actually, the reasons are well known—mainstream reporters are generally left-leaning gun-hating liberals. Studies constantly show it suits them, fits their bias, and matches their world view to hide truth on this issue. That’s what they do, they can’t see it, won’t admit it. I follow it closely, confront them about it all the time, it’s like they’re brain dead. Google the subject and be stunned.

An Associated Press bureau reporter once told me his bureau chief wouldn’t let a self-defense story run because it might encourage copy cats. I report on it frequently here, and here. The CBS-TV ratio of anti-rights to pro-rights stories recently was 22 to 1 against. Their ethical standards? They have none.

Dr. John Lott surveyed the media, the numbers are impossibly upside down. In one year, USA Today ran 6,000 words on gun-related crime and zero on the good that guns enable. A book is available (Armed) outlining 13 scholarly studies showing between 700,000 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses every year. Bloomfield Press pays to put self-defense stories in USA Today, as ads, so at least some news gets out. Excellent write up about it here.

Media excuses for suppressing self defense are myths unto themselves: they certainly wouldn’t want: to promote “vigilantism” (which is a criminal act and not self defense); frontier justice and taking the law into your own hands (which has nothing to do with self defense against assault); a dangerously armed public with everyone “packing heat” (a derogatory slur reporters love and use constantly); individual responsibility (OMG!) supplanting big-brother government safety (which everyone sees doesn’t work); stand-your-ground “shoot-first” Wild-West scenarios (silliness reflecting neither law nor common sense)—reporting on this is as mythical as virtually everything else you see about guns, if it’s on TV or in a “news” paper.

Even if its only a couple hundred that's still a number of people who didn't get beaten, raped, robed or murdered. care to explain how that's a bad thing,

Look at it this way a new a widget is invented that if used correctly would save 200 people a year from being maimed or killed, 200 sounds like a lot now doesn't it.

They don't care about saving lives.....if they actually did they would insist on Firearm Safety Education in public Schools...notice how they fight that.......

They only care about the deaths they can use to push their gun control laws....they need dead kids by guns.....they are gold for propaganda against guns.....

I guess the funny part is how disingenuous liberals really are.

They are quick to point out every instance where a gun accidentally is used to kill someone, but absolutely ignore:

35000 car deaths a year and vehicles being the number one killer of innocent children
500000 deaths caused by heart disease yearly (ban the Whopper)
3482 people dying in swimming pools yearly
2500 children being backed over in their own driveways by vehicles every year, (that's 50 PER WEEK)

Backovers | KidsAndCars.org

If liberals were honest, they would go after things that ACTUALLY KILL LARGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE. But they don't. They're slimy. They use their liberal agenda to single out one thing, way at the bottom of the list, to push their anti-gun agenda.

It's one thing to just not care about people, but it's totally different to pretend that you do.

So until all other possible forms of death are eliminated, we should not be concerned with a 4 year old shooting his mother

Nope....that is why we would like to have gun safety education taught in public schools.....to save the lives of children if they are exposed to guns......you anti gun nuts fight to keep those lessons from happening.....because a dead kid is propaganda gold for the anti gun movement........

You want to put the blame on schools because a 4 year old had access to guns

Training should be directed at the gun owner. Not just how to pull a trigger but how a gun should be stored and how to keep them away from children

This kid was exposed to guns...his mother bragged about it

So was Adam Lanza

And so are millions of other kids who don't shoot other people...far more than those that do.......

Tell that to the 1,500,000 Americans each year who use guns to stop violent criminal attack...according to bill clinton and barak obama.......they sort of think guns were necessary......

You mean tell it to a math problem? Cause that 1.5 does not represent real people. Just a poorly done survey with bad math.

Not according to bill clinton and barak obama...their Department of Justice and the CDC support that number.

Lying again. The CDC did not calculate dgu. That DOJ study is ancient and debunked.

The CDC looked at all of the research.....let me repeat that for you since you are kind of slow....

The CDC looked at all of the actual research.....and the 1,500,000 comes in the middle of all of the gun self defense research....and that Department of Justice study was created by two gun grabbers trying to prove defensive gun use was really low......and came up with 1,500,000 defensive gun uses each year.

* The CDC report made no effort to reconcile the differing estimates of DGUs, except to note that the estimate provided by the Kleck group was larger by an order of magnitude than the estimate arising from the NCVS. The CDC report noted that the estimate of DGU provided by the Kleck group is twice again as large as the estimate of the Dept. of Justice that there are 1.3 million crimes committed with a gun in the USA every year.

And to help out.....here are all the gun studies...including the CDC and the bill clinton gun study........

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--
------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

A child run over by a car, drowning in a pool, those don't matter to liberals. Their numbers don't help push their anti-gun political agenda so they're nothing to them.

We have car safety seats in cars, fences around pools....all in the name of safety

But we can't keep a four year old away from a gun...he has second amendment rights

And guns are the safest they have ever been.....and with 74.2 million kids in the country...how many are accidentally killed with guns....in 2013...69....

killed in cars...thousands....

A child run over by a car, drowning in a pool, those don't matter to liberals. Their numbers don't help push their anti-gun political agenda so they're nothing to them.

We have car safety seats in cars, fences around pools....all in the name of safety

But we can't keep a four year old away from a gun...he has second amendment rights

And here are the stats.......you should worry more about those other means........guns kill fewer kids....

74.2 million kids in the country..........

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Kids murdered by guns....

under 1: 12
age 1-4: 39

age 5-14: 142

total gun murder of children.....193

Kids murdered by other means...

under 1: 270
age 1-4: 298
age 5-14: 135

murder of children by other means.....703
Now, if even if you include gun accidents into the total.....

you are still wrong....

Accidental death by gun for children....

under 1: 3
age 1-4: 27
age 5-14: 39

Total accidental gun death for kids 2013....69

Many laws have been passed regarding guns. So simply passing a law means the issue has been taken care of? Ok, noted. We need no more gun laws.

Ok Brain, got a study to refute it? Just calling it a poorly done study without any proof to back up YOUR claim negates YOUR claim, not his.

Yes the NCVS is the only study of significant size and arrives at 108k.

And it doesn't ask any questions....at all.....about using a gun for self defense.........so of course you use it......truth, facts and reality are not your friend.

It asks:
“Was there anything you did or tried to do about the incident while it was going on?”

That would clearly include any DGU.

And again....it is not a study designed to research gun self defense....in fact....it can't even study crime accurately......

We’ve Been Measuring Rape All Wrong

And another reason to not use the NCVS...they can't even count those things they are actually studying correctly, let alone something like guns that they aren't actually studying...

National Crime Victimization Survey A new report finds that the Justice Department has been undercounting instances of rape and sexual assault.

How helpful, then, that the Justice Department asked the National Research Council (part of the National Academies, which also includes the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine) to study how successfully the federal government measures rape. The answer has just arrived, in a report out Tuesday with the headline from the press release: “The National Crime Victimization Survey Is Likely Undercounting Rape and Sexual Assault.” We’re not talking about small fractions—we’re talking about the kind of potentially massive underestimate that the military and the Justice Department have warned about for years—and that could be throwing a wrench into the effort to do the most effective type of rape prevention.....

But here are the flaws that call the nice-sounding stats into doubt: The NCVS is designed to measure all kinds of crime victimization. The questions it poses about sexual violence are embedded among questions that ask about lots of other types of crime. For example:

So......the NCVS can't get an accurate account of what it is researching....how do we know this...the numbers are off...

There is, in fact, an existing survey that has many of the attributes the NCVS currently lacks. It’s administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it’s called the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. (NISVS is the acronym. Apologies for the alphabet soup.)

NISVS “represents the public health perspective,” as Tuesday’s report puts it, and it asks questions about specific behavior, including whether the survey-taker was unable to consent to sex because he or she had been drinking or taking drugs.

NISVS was first conducted in 2010, so it doesn’t go back in time the way the NCVS numbers do. But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault. And the FBI, which collects its data from local law enforcement, and so only counts rapes and attempted rapes that have been reported as crimes, totaled only 85,593 for 2010.

So no....the NCVS is not a tool to understand the use of guns for self defense..........

And the most obvious point.......they undercount rape and sexual assault by a vast number compared to an actual study that researches rape and sexual assault....using the same method the anti gunners claim for the number of gun defenses....

But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault.

That implies strangers. That's not the case, in most cases.

chalkboard.jpg

Yeah....you know....the Friday night Date who doesn't take "NO" for an answer...will take a .45 as an answer just like a stranger.........what is it with you guys and your childish...12 year old way of thinking..........

Not all rapes are date rape......and guns are the best method to stop a rape...stranger or otherwise......twits.

Most rapes aren't defensable with a gun. The girl who is completely drunk isn't going to use a gun. The girl who is already naked and then says no cant use a gun. Many victims are under 18 and can't have a gun.

You mean tell it to a math problem? Cause that 1.5 does not represent real people. Just a poorly done survey with bad math.

Not according to bill clinton and barak obama...their Department of Justice and the CDC support that number.

Lying again. The CDC did not calculate dgu. That DOJ study is ancient and debunked.

The CDC looked at all of the research.....let me repeat that for you since you are kind of slow....

The CDC looked at all of the actual research.....and the 1,500,000 comes in the middle of all of the gun self defense research....and that Department of Justice study was created by two gun grabbers trying to prove defensive gun use was really low......and came up with 1,500,000 defensive gun uses each year.

* The CDC report made no effort to reconcile the differing estimates of DGUs, except to note that the estimate provided by the Kleck group was larger by an order of magnitude than the estimate arising from the NCVS. The CDC report noted that the estimate of DGU provided by the Kleck group is twice again as large as the estimate of the Dept. of Justice that there are 1.3 million crimes committed with a gun in the USA every year.

And to help out.....here are all the gun studies...including the CDC and the bill clinton gun study........

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

--
------------------

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Yes a list of studies that never happened or you know nothing about.

--
------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Why do you leave off every study with believable numbers?

Writing in the December 1994 issue of the American Journal of Public Health, principal investigator David McDowall, PhD and co-author Brian Wiersema used data from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) to estimate DGUs. They described the need and the purpose of the study in this way: "We were interested in the incidence of defense and the situations in which it occurs." They examined data from the years 1987 through 1990. They reported that during the years under examination, there were 143.9 million incidents of crime. During that period, there were 258,460 incidents of firearm resistance to crime, for an average of 64,615 DGUs every year. They reported that victims of crimes used guns defensively in 0.18% of all crimes, and in 0.83% of violent crimes. The study counted 50,262 self-defense gun uses by police in the line of duty during the study period. Removing these police DGU drops the yearly estimate of civilian DGUs to 51,959. McDowall concluded that DGU is rare in the USA. Dr. McDowall published a follow-up study in 1998 using data from the 1992 and 1994 waves of the NCVS, in which the estimate of yearly DGU was adjusted upwards to 116,000 (McDowall, D., C. Loftin, and B. Wiersema. Estimates of the Frequency of Firearm Self-Defense from the Redesigned National Crime Victimization Survey. Violence Research Group Discussion Paper 20; 1998. (unpublished report)).

30000 people are killed by guns every year. Thats a more compelling figure.

No he doesn't, but his mother does. It's her job, not the gov'ts, to act responsibly when owning a gun.

I grew up in a living room with a gun rack that had at least 7 guns in it, the largest a 30-30. Amazingly, I never shot anyone, was never shot at, and grew up hunting and fishing with my dad. I was given a brand new 20 gauge for my 13th birthday. I loved that gun and still do. The only thing to meet its demise at the business end of that little Winchester was a few nuisance beaver and nutria.

But his mother has shown herself incapable of doing that job. Does the child not have the right to protection from his parents inadequacy ?

Yes. That is why we have social services to investigate claims.
Thats a bit reactive. The child could have shot himself yesterday. Would it not be better for all gun owners to receive training on how to keep their guns safe from children ?

Yes it would....but it cannot be mandated...that would be a violation of a Right. You in Britain persecuted people in foreign countries...our democrats here persecuted blacks once they were free. .....to keep the newly freed blacks from voting the democrats created a "Literacy" test...because almost all of the newly freed blacks were unable to read...so requiring that voters be able to read kept blacks from voting.

I am all for good training.....but too many anti gunners here will use it to deny the poor the right to bear arms.....
If the poor are too dumb to be trained then should they be allowed to own guns ?

Forum List

Back