Zone1 4th of July vs Juneteenth

I'll only raise a glass if they stop bitching about reparations from us whites who arrived here after the civil war, admit they were enslaved by blacks who sold them to whites most of whom fought to free them and stop calling whites racist.
Nah. I want my reparations. Pay up.

Of course they would. Slavery was already getting too expensive to maintain.

The Fourth of July celebrates the shot heard around the world. Juneteenth is a day on which absolutely nothing happened. A small group of former slaves in Texas was told that the civil war had ended some time ago. It's the "I heard it through the grapevine day".
The Confederates were willing to DIE to keep Blacks enslaved. That doesn't sound like slavery was "getting too expensive to maintain".

Without July 4th there would be no Juneteenth.
Given that England abandoned slavery in the early 1800s, slaves would have likely been freed sooner under English rule

That's true. Because if the USA had never been created, there would have been no enslaved Africans. Thus, no need for a Juneteenth.
Nonsense, African tribes enslaved other tribes and sold slaves all around the world. The American indians also enslaved other tribes. Today, China enslaves the Uyghurs. Slavery was not relegated to America only however, America recognized the immorality of it and did something to curb its practice.

Last edited:
Juneteeth celebrates the independence of a portion of the population.
The 4th of July celebrates the independence of an entire country.
July 4th celebrates the independence of a portion of the population.

Blacks were not free and the First Nations still aren't free.

People like you need to stop conflating white with all of America.

Given that England abandoned slavery in the early 1800s, slaves would have likely been freed sooner under English rule
Not so cut and dry though....The East India Company was excepted. Also slave owners were compensated under the Slave Compensation Act of 1837. Interesting: The Slavery Abolition Act was repealed in it's entirety in 1998.

Nonsense, African tribes enslaved other tribes and sold slaves all around the world. The American indians also enslaved other tribes. Today, China enslaves the Uyghurs. Slavery was not relegated to America only however, it is only America that recognized the immorality of it.
Actually what turquoise said is true. Africans did not sell slaves all around the world. Africa did not take ships to Europe and South America to sell slaves. Slavery was made legal here by this government. Whites like you brag about how great this country is, but when shown the truth, you want to blame other countries. This is about what the United States government has done.

Haiti was the first country to end slavery. Haitians were the first to recognize the immorality. The United States not only faked an end to slavery, but right now slavery is legal in this country if you are convicted of a crime.

Last edited:
Not so cut and dry though....The East India Company was excepted. Also slave owners were compensated under the Slave Compensation Act of 1837. Interesting: The Slavery Abolition Act was repealed in it's entirety in 1998.

I think if we were still under English rule slavery would have been abandoned in its colonies
Southern slave owners would have been compensated. There may have been some arrangement for slaves to work off their freedom. After the Civil War, they received nothing

I think if we were still under English rule slavery would have been abandoned in its colonies
Southern slave owners would have been compensated. After the Civil War, they received nothing
Hard to say, England was enjoying the fruits of the East India Company and most likely would have let the practice continue in the Colonies. Remember, slavery was an economic institution and was responsible for keeping the economy on an even keel.

Yup, we had to fight a war to get you to give up your slaves.
No "we" didn't. The United States did not fight to end slavery. The United States fought to put the union back together. The Confederacy was a separate nation and they fought for the preservation of slavery. Since the confederacy lost, the United States could set the terms, so slavery ending was one of them. Again, the confederacy was an entirely different country so trying to attach them to any American political party is inaccurate.

Southern slave owners would have been compensated. There may have been some arrangement for slaves to work off their freedom. After the Civil War, they received nothing
Working off freedom would not have been sufficient or right.

Hard to say, England was enjoying the fruits of the East India Company and most likely would have let the practice continue in the Colonies. Remember, slavery was an economic institution and was responsible for keeping the economy on an even keel.
It really didn't matter because the United States implemented the slave breeding business.

Forum List

Back