50% of Americans do not pay income tax?

Did this thread cleared up the statement about 50% of people not paying taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Still unclear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just another silly thread

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EVerybody is subject to the same tax codes, folks.

Bill GATES did NOT pay taxes on the FIRST $25,000 he made either.

EVerybody is subject to the same tax codes, folks.

Bill GATES did NOT pay taxes on the FIRST $25,000 he made either.

You need to read the tax codes again. Those making less than $25,000 are subject to taxation. Many of them recieve endowments that exceed their taxes. Some of them don't. They do not "Make a profit", after having paid what they owe.

How many servicemen are part of the 50% who don't pay income tax?

Top Tax Tips for Military Personnel | Military.com

With the start to the new year behind us, it is time to once again plan ahead for tax season. With the exception of those serving in combat zones or stationed outside the U.S, most military personnel and their families must file taxes by the traditional April 15 deadline.

That didn't answer my question.

The answer is most military personell who are not stationed overseas or in a combat zone are subject to the tax codes and must file taxes. If you want quantitative answers go find them; I will not do your research for you. To what point do you ask the question?

With the start to the new year behind us, it is time to once again plan ahead for tax season. With the exception of those serving in combat zones or stationed outside the U.S, most military personnel and their families must file taxes by the traditional April 15 deadline.

The answer is most military personell who are not stationed overseas or in a combat zone are subject to the tax codes and must file taxes. If you want quantitative answers go find them; I will not do your research for you. To what point do you ask the question?

Your question implies that 50% of citizens do not pay taxes. That has not been resolved yet. That is the point of this thread; to challenge that statement.

I understand that they must file taxes but that doesn't mean they don't fall within this magic 50%.

The point of asking the question is to shine the light on exactly who makes up this 50% that so many posters here love to demonize.

The original intent of this post was to debunk the notion that 50% of people were not paying taxes. It is already evident that they do pay taxes but get endowments to exceed their taxes.

If they pay $1,000 and receive and "endowment" of $2,000, are you claiming they pay taxes?

Are endowments only things that people other than you receive from government?

I've never received an endowment from the government. I have gotten refunds from the IRS, but never more than I paid in.

I understand that they must file taxes but that doesn't mean they don't fall within this magic 50%.

The point of asking the question is to shine the light on exactly who makes up this 50% that so many posters here love to demonize.

Then I applaude you! The very idea that 50% of tax payers are freeloaders is rediculous. Many of them write a check for taxes even after doing without in other areas. The fact that IRS, volutarily gives them money in excess of their taxes and then they deduct the amount of taxes from that money does not negate the fact that they are paying taxes.

The original intent of this post was to debunk the notion that 50% of people were not paying taxes. It is already evident that they do pay taxes but get endowments to exceed their taxes.

If they pay $1,000 and receive and "endowment" of $2,000, are you claiming they pay taxes?

Yes because the endowment was not a tax credit. If it had been a tax credit, the balance would have been zero. He paid his $1000. If not he woud have recieved $3000. The governmnet "gave" him a $3000 endowmnet he only recieved $2000 he paid $1000 or he would have recieved $3000
Semantics!
"He" paid -$2.000 to the government. That money had to be taken from people who actually EARNED it.

I've never received an endowment from the government. I have gotten refunds from the IRS, but never more than I paid in.

Then you have recieved endowments. Your taxes were forgiven in some amount only because you fit a certain description of being a citizen. This was not earned money.

Yes because the endowment was not a tax credit. If it had been a tax credit, the balance would have been zero. He paid his $1000. If not he woud have recieved $3000. The governmnet "gave" him a $3000 endowmnet he only recieved $2000 he paid $1000 or he would have recieved $3000
Semantics!
"He" paid -$2.000 to the government. That money had to be taken from people who actually EARNED it.

The IRS says” Anyone meeting requirement X will receive an endowment (tax credit) or $3000
Citizen A owes no taxes and will pay no taxes
Citizen B owes $1000 in taxes and will pay $1000 in taxes
Citizen C owes $2000 in taxes and will pay $2000 in taxes

Citizen A receives $3000
Citizen B receives $2000
Citizen C receives $1000
Only citizen A paid no taxes
If you do not like the tax codes the way they are then let's change them. That fact remains that only citizen A did not pay taxes.

Semantics!

The IRS says” Anyone meeting requirement X will receive an endowment (tax credit) or $3000
Citizen A owes no taxes and will pay no taxes
Citizen B owes $1000 in taxes and will pay $1000 in taxes
Citizen C owes $2000 in taxes and will pay $2000 in taxes

Citizen A receives $3000
Citizen B receives $2000
Citizen C receives $1000
If you do not like the tax codes the way they are then let's change them. That fact remains that only citizen A did not pay taxes.

To be even more clear:
The IRS says” Anyone meeting requirement X will receive an endowment (tax credit) of $3000
Citizen A meets requirement X, owes no taxes and will pay no taxes
Citizen B meets requirement X, owes $1000 in taxes and will pay $1000 in taxes
Citizen C meets requirement X, owes $2000 in taxes and will pay $2000 in taxes
Citizen D meets requirement X, owes $4000 in taxes and will pay $4000 in taxes

Citizen A receives $3000
Citizen B receives $2000
Citizen C receives $1000
Citizen D pays $1000

edjax, they are right that you are playing a semantics game, dude.

If you use the exact term "don't pay income tax" then yes with your tongue in cheek you can say "yes, they do they pay all year they just get it all back and sometimes more but they paid" and you will be right but it's not a serious argument.

At the end of the day it if the balance sheet between you an Uncle Sam has you in the positive and him in the negative you haven't really paid anything.

Then you have recieved endowments. Your taxes were forgiven in some amount only because you fit a certain description of being a citizen. This was not earned money.
They were not "endowments" but refunds because I overpaid.
If I buy $60 worth of gas and I hand the cashier a $100 bill, I get $40 change.
That $40 is not an endowment. It is money owed to me.
If you go into the same station and purchase $60 worth of gas with a $100 bill, and the cashier gives you $160 in change, that is not an "endowment" it is stupidity.

If you go into the same station and purchase $60 worth of gas with a $100 bill, and the cashier gives you $160 in change, that is not an "endowment" it is stupidity.

If that same gas station said we are giving an endowment to anyone paying with a credit card of $60 and you went in and paid with a credit card and bought $40 worth of gas and received $20 back. That would be stupidity.
This is my point. You still bought and recieved $40 worth of gas. The gas station "endowed" you with $60.

Last edited:

If that same gas station said we are giving an endowment to anyone paying with a credit card of $60 and you went in and paid with a credit card and bought $40 worth of gas and received $20 back. That would be stupidity.
This is my point. You still bought and recieved $40 worth of gas. The gas station "endowed" you with $60.

I understand that if you overpaid your taxs you are due a refund.

edjax, they are right that you are playing a semantics game, dude.

If you use the exact term "don't pay income tax" then yes with your tongue in cheek you can say "yes, they do they pay all year they just get it all back and sometimes more but they paid" and you will be right but it's not a serious argument.

At the end of the day it if the balance sheet between you an Uncle Sam has you in the positive and him in the negative you haven't really paid anything.

you dumb common sense people :lol:

Forum List

Back