5th graders conspire to commit murder

Two 5th grade boys, ages 10 and 11, charged in murder conspiracy - UPI.com

"We've been told that the boys had a plan to kill an ex-girlfriend ... and harm other students," Cashion said. "There was no list, but names were given to the police."

The world has gone to hell in a handbasket, what kind of 5th graders have "ex girlfriends"???? 10 and 11 years old, they're still CHILDREN.

This is what happens when the State raises children instead of their parents. I'm sure these children have been in that babysitting program called Head Start since they were barely able to walk, all well their single mommies banged the cash registers for twelve hours a day at Wal-Mart.

I'm sure there are horror stories connected to Head Start but some good ones, too. I am inclined to assume that some type of dysfunction exists in the homes. Dangerous to assume, I know that.

This school is located in what is probably a more rural area north of Spokane. There are only 3 or 4 schools in the district. ???Rugged individualists--I don't know enough about Washington state.

As unpopular as it may be --there are some really good programs for early learning and intervention in my area.

I think I'll query my friends and acquaintances of about the same age and see if I'm way off base or not.

I'm going to resurrect this thread to report that I did, indeed, ask my friends of a certain age whether or not my remembrances were way off the mark. They weren't. In fact, they seem to be spot on.

Here's the responses I got:

"i remeber my school days as you desribe but i believe that the main ingredient that is missing from todays family are the values taught through the teachings we were rasised with ...GOD is missing in the hectic lives that have evolved --prices are so high that both parents try to work so they can give thier younguns a better life than what they had---opinion-- we did't have all the STUFF that has been invented so we didn't miss it..if you got a whopping in school u could bet on getting another at HOME ..i don't think it hurt our generation nor the ones that percieved ours....actually i believe it made us stronger." (Male-60's)

"The conditions you mentioned were ALL there when I went to school - Don't remember much about grade school happenings but definitely in junior high and high school." (Male-60's)

"First and final point-MEMORY IS PLASTIC-no one remembers the same thing the same way even twice-research (Scientific American Mag) has shown that every time we "remember" we edit that memory depending on our mood-that said, I was in govt schools all but the 1st and 2nd grades and I do remember guys had knives n there were fights but we were being taught by mostly prior military service people who expected discipline to b rigid and punishments to b levied on the military parent as well as the child. I was an Air Force brat and was taught that my behavior (as well as my mother's) would determine my father's advancement thru the ranks. We were pretty controlled in school as most of the kids were very aware of what their behavior could to to their parent." (Female-60's)

"I don't recall any guns being used or brandished at school. However, it
wasn't uncommon to see a rifle or a shotgun in a rifle rack in a pickup
truck. Having been in a few fights, most all of them, except one involved NO
weapons. The one that did involve a weapon had it taken away from him and
then was urged on to continue to fight me. I have never witnessed a teacher/
student fight because the teachers I had wouldn't take any shit. I've also
never seen a fight "encouraged" by ANY of my teachers. Generally, those
caught fighting got sent to the Principal's Office.

I do recall boys generally carrying knives. They were rarely, if ever used
in a fight. There were those few who carried an illegal switchblade.

I was never robbed. However, there were those inclined to bully. Fights &
threats, sure. The threats were more like, "I'm gonna kick your ass". I
don't know why kids are taking guns to school and killing other kids. I
could maybe grasp some of the teachers being threatened or killed. That's
pretty iffy, at best.

I DO recall my step-dad watching me get into a fight and he didn't step in.
He just let us duke it out. That kid & I went at each other for a few years.

As far as pregnant girls, I don't remember too many, if any at all. Most of
them dropped out of school for a while and then returned after having their
baby. I don't remember sex in the bathrooms, but there were plenty of cars
rocking & rolling. ;)" (Male-50's)

"You hit the nail on the head on this one, yes we did have a lot of violence in all schools way back when. whenever someone got into a fight with another, we settled our differences and went on. No one pulled a gun or a knife on anyone way back when. We always had diciplene back then to, I think the worst part was being sent to the superindents office for some sort of disiplene,(heck can't spell it right,) I can'[t recall any fights between students and teachers. I do know a couple of male teachers had sex with some of the senior girls after school, and some of the guys would sneak off with thier girl friends during class and find a secluded spot. One time a teacher was banging this gal, and her boyfriend and another gal sneaked off and found them in a closet under the stairs. Talk about instant oops." (Male-60's)

"MY school's also had the ingrediants of a self-righteous,dissorderly manner. Things haven't changed all that much! I cut a boy's shirt with my pocket knife------------my younger sister was caught with several bottles of vodka in her locker." (Male-60's)

"Fights were pretty common, most male students had rifles and/or shotguns in racks on the rear window of their pickups.

Sex was where ever you could talk her into. Many students in Grade School brought some type of gun for show-and--tell.

When I was in high school, you had a designated smoking area for students, and before, after, between classes, and during lunch, drugs were available for purchase, from pot, ludes, white-crosses, coke, valium, por acid.

Many students brought alcohol to school or school functions. In Ninth Grade we had several students OD, and start dropping like flies at lunch, to be taken by ambulance to the hospital to have their stomached pumped.

We had a few students commit suicide by ODing or shooting themselves. Several died in auto accidents. We had married students, unwed mothers, and lots of pregnancy.

I am married to the Love of my Life, she is 4 years younger than me. We married 4 days after her 16th birthday in August of 1984, and my son was born in December of the same year. I'm not proud of the mistakes we made, but I would not undo them if I could.

I believe we were raised in a more violent time than the latest generation, you just didn't hear about all the other violence in the US, or the World. Tough love was expected, and even encouraged. If you we're caught doing something you shouldn't have been doing, the person that caught you would whip you, then you got it again when you got home, and everyone did and expected the same for their kids." (Male-50's)

Not to rain on this parade of nostalgia but with all due respect, these same statements were being made by the older generation when we were kids. And by their older generation when they were kids, and on and on. This fantasy of "our world is going to hell in a handbasket" (or however one expresses it) has renewed itself with every generation since humans began, and will continue to.

So it's hard to take these ethereal impressions that recur with every succeeding generation as anything quantifiable, once we realize we're hearing them over and over through time.

Yeah, that's what progressives say when faced with the facts...

There is more crime, people are dumber, schools are a nightmare, children are a mess.....so when people take note they just pretend...

it's not true. "Are you going to believe your own eyes, or what I tell you?" sort of thing.

Kids are really nothing more than strong, smart animals...if they have no guidance. I'm not sure a 10 year old has the capability to feel remorse for something they haven't actually done....I think remorse is an adult emotion.

I disagree. They actually did conspire to kill.

I don't want to search for the article I found again. Maybe they didn't use the term 'remorse'. Whatever it said left me with the impression that these kids were already 'hard'--maybe dead inside.

They stole the gun from a grandfather or someone in the family. I think they knew that was wrong and the rest of what they did was wrong.

Yes, I think many parents are capable of teaching right and wrong from toddlerhood and I am fairly certain that there are educational theories that indicate the concept of morality is well-developed around 4th grade.

http://www.education.com/reference/article/kohlbergs-moral-reasoning/

Last edited:
4th grade is right around 9-10 years old. And kids develop at different rates.

I didnt' say that parents don't have an obligation to teach right and wrong. But children have a limited understanding of mortality, and a limited capacity to feel *remorse*. They can be very sorry they got caught...but as far as feeling remorse for something they didn't actually do (they didn't kill anyone..they just planned it) no, I don't think that part of their psyche is fully developed.

I say this after working years with kids in juvenile, and watching my own kids grow up. I've just never heard kids at ten say "I feel so badly that I thought of doing this thing...." Sometimes, maybe, they can feel bad about actually doing something....if someone is actually hurt.

But not before.

4th grade is right around 9-10 years old. And kids develop at different rates.

I didnt' say that parents don't have an obligation to teach right and wrong. But children have a limited understanding of mortality, and a limited capacity to feel *remorse*. They can be very sorry they got caught...but as far as feeling remorse for something they didn't actually do (they didn't kill anyone..they just planned it) no, I don't think that part of their psyche is fully developed.

I say this after working years with kids in juvenile, and watching my own kids grow up. I've just never heard kids at ten say "I feel so badly that I thought of doing this thing...." Sometimes, maybe, they can feel bad about actually doing something....if someone is actually hurt.

But not before.

I taught--primarily 4th/5th grade--they knew right from wrong.

What can be said--'some' parents make it a priority--my particular family did. Others perhaps have different priorities.

I couldn't find the link I saw a few days ago--here's another one. A school official--administrator or psychologist commented that he hadn't seen anything like this in 30 years.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lville-Elementary-School-attack-6-others.html

eta:
Not included here is how the children got the gun. The older child's brother stole it from their grandfather and the 11 year old stole it from his brother (who kept it in a locked box but the younger knew where the key was kept.) The lawyer is an idiot. Shooting at passing cars with a BB gun is illegal and will get a kid time in jeuvie in almost every jurisdiction in the country. Hitting random people with sticks will get a kid counseling. Setting fire to a cat is considered sociopathic/ psychotic behavior and will get a kid committed. The community needs to look at repealing his appointment. He doesn't represent the kids, he represents the state and he holds these ideas? As to the $80, they either saved their birthday/ Christmas money and supplemented it from Mom's purse or they just took it from her purse, altogether. These two children are seriously ill. They targeted SEVEN people. It was only their age and their fellow student's good sense that stopped them.

In WA state the law presumes that a minor is 'unable' to reason at this level. There will be a hearing on Feb. 20. If they tell a judge --'Yes, I wanted to kill the girl and the person that told on me'---I think the consequences will be severe. Who knows?

Last edited:
This is what happens when the State raises children instead of their parents. I'm sure these children have been in that babysitting program called Head Start since they were barely able to walk, all well their single mommies banged the cash registers for twelve hours a day at Wal-Mart.

Mommy has to provide for her family. Would you rather just give her welfare money to stay home?

Not to rain on this parade of nostalgia but with all due respect, these same statements were being made by the older generation when we were kids. And by their older generation when they were kids, and on and on. This fantasy of "our world is going to hell in a handbasket" (or however one expresses it) has renewed itself with every generation since humans began, and will continue to.

So it's hard to take these ethereal impressions that recur with every succeeding generation as anything quantifiable, once we realize we're hearing them over and over through time.

That's the whole point of my posts in this thread. Too many think the problems with kids and schools is brand new and somehow indicative of a modern-day failing (usually the fault of the other political ideology), but it's not.

It's too bad locals don't have a say in what's taught in their schools, that they don't have the ability to elect officials, opt out of sex Ed classes, or even send their children to a different school all together.

Oh wait.

They do.

In this district if you want to send your kid to a different school, they make you pay a fee, and you only get to send your kid to that school if there is actually an opening.

Ok?

So move. Or send your child to a private school. Or become more active in the school board.
Now there's a thought. Parents getting involved in their children's education. Almost unheard of these days. Unfortunately the only time parents take an interest in what the school is doing is when they feel their kids are being wronged somehow.

It's too bad locals don't have a say in what's taught in their schools, that they don't have the ability to elect officials, opt out of sex Ed classes, or even send their children to a different school all together.

Oh wait.

They do.

In this district if you want to send your kid to a different school, they make you pay a fee, and you only get to send your kid to that school if there is actually an opening.

So...you only want control of your child's education enough if it's on the cheap. Gotcha.

Mommy has to provide for her family. Would you rather just give her welfare money to stay home?

Do we know that any of that imaginary scenario is factual? If not, why entertain strawmen?

Forum List

Back