6 beautiful homes that run on solar power

If it was cheap, sensible and reliable, people would be flocking to use it. End of story.
U.S. solar power grew by 6.2 gigawatts in 2014, a 30 percent increase over the previous year and representing nearly $18 billion in new investment, according to data released this morning by the Solar Energy Industries Association and GTM Research.

The new power systems, comprising tens of thousands of photovoltaic (PV) arrays for homes, schools, businesses and utilities, as well as a handful of large concentrated solar power facilities in places like the Mojave Desert, raised the United States' profile as one of the world's leading adopters of solar power, officials said.
.............................................................................................
Yet, even with those caveats, industry officials and analysts forecast a continued boom in U.S. solar markets over the near term, with a projected 31 percent growth target for 2015. The growth will be fueled by falling costs for solar panels and modules, business model innovation that allows for more flexibility in ownership, favorable political and regulatory environments, and increased access to low-cost capital.

Solar Power Sees Unprecedented Boom in U.S.

31% growth in a year. But you say that people are not flocking to solar? I think that you are being willfully ignorant.

lol..........solar power wouldn't even exist in most states but for the $7,000 - $10,000 tax credit you get. C'mon now.........we need to at least try to keep it somewhat real in here. And in New York, even with the credit, a handful of each 100 homes sports a solar panel roof in any given neighborhood. Still a fringe energy source..........and will be for decades. Sobering for some.........I get it, but it is what it is.:bigbed:

lol..........solar power wouldn't even exist in most states but for the $7,000 - $10,000 tax credit you get. C'mon now.........we need to at least try to keep it somewhat real in here. And in New York, even with the credit, a handful of each 100 homes sports a solar panel roof in any given neighborhood. Still a fringe energy source..........and will be for decades. Sobering for some.........I get it, but it is what it is.:bigbed:

Not sobering at all. Those who can afford it and wish a degree of independence from the grid can do so. That is does not provide the majority of power for the majority of homes does not change that.

For those who insist solar won't work. People who spent $millions on these homes are not so stupid.

I think the estimate is that enough sunlight strikes the surface of the Earth every day to power all of humanity's energy needs for 500 years. Why anyone would be against capturing unlimited free energy that creates no problems, pollution, or wars.

The fossil fuel industry has spent billions to fool as many people as possible that their product is the only way.They are dinosaurs, time for that industry's dirt nap. They could easily have invested in and perfected solar and captured that market a decade or more ago but there is no day other than today for them. Now the Chinese are the trail blazers in solar and wind and the US is quickly turning into a backwater of old men clinging to old ways and old power.

There was a day when it was the other way around, the US was the trail blazer. The current Republican party though is mired in the 1857 brain.

Last edited:
For those who insist solar won't work. People who spent $millions on these homes are not so stupid.

Wow, that’s great. Now anybody who can spend millions on a house or be willing to live underground can have a solar house.
Are you really that stupid?

Well why don’t you just tell me how many panels are in the solar array on your house?

Not sobering at all. Those who can afford it and wish a degree of independence from the grid can do so. That is does not provide the majority of power for the majority of homes does not change that.
It doesn't change the fact that it will never replace fossile fuels either.

I think the estimate is that enough sunlight strikes the surface of the Earth every day to power all of humanity's energy needs for 500 years. Why anyone would be against capturing unlimited free energy that creates no problems, pollution, or wars.

The fossil fuel industry has spent billions to fool as many people as possible that their product is the only way.They are dinosaurs, time for that industry's dirt nap. They could easily have invested in and perfected solar and captured that market a decade or more ago but there is no day other than today for them. Now the Chinese are the trail blazers in solar and wind and the US is quickly turning into a backwater of old men clinging to old ways and old power.

There was a day when it was the other way around, the US was the trail blazer. The current Republican party though is mired in the 1857 brain.

The fossil fuel industry hasn't spent a dime trying to convince anyone that fossil fuels are better than your so-called green energy. Simple economics does that. Just consider the cost of a natural gas fired heater - maybe $1,500. The cost of a solar power system with battery backup? $50,000. Who needs propaganda for anyone to make that decision? To top it all off the later system can't even be depended upon to power your home if there is more than a day or two without sunshine.

The fossil fuel industry hasn't spent a dime trying to convince anyone that fossil fuels are better than your so-called green energy. Simple economics does that. Just consider the cost of a natural gas fired heater - maybe $1,500. The cost of a solar power system with battery backup? $50,000. Who needs propaganda for anyone to make that decision? To top it all off the later system can't even be depended upon to power your home if there is more than a day or two without sunshine.
^^ BS

^^ BS

What's "BS" about it?

IDK......call me the asshole here but if I'm a big solar guy, THIS is sobering indeed >>>

http://naturalgasnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/eia-aeo2014-forecast-512x384.png

IDK......call me the asshole here but if I'm a big solar guy, THIS is sobering indeed >>>

http://naturalgasnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/eia-aeo2014-forecast-512x384.png

So a handful more houses in each neighborhood get solar panels in the next 2-3 decades..........still fringe by anybody's definition. But who knows.......maybe in my old age, Ive just become a glass half empty guy!!:bye1:

Wow, that’s great. Now anybody who can spend millions on a house or be willing to live underground can have a solar house.
Are you really that stupid?

Well why don’t you just tell me how many panels are in the solar array on your house?

That is a great question.

So we can assume YOU are currently using solar to power your home? Yes or no.

If it was cheap, sensible and reliable, people would be flocking to use it. End of story.
U.S. solar power grew by 6.2 gigawatts in 2014, a 30 percent increase over the previous year and representing nearly $18 billion in new investment, according to data released this morning by the Solar Energy Industries Association and GTM Research.

The new power systems, comprising tens of thousands of photovoltaic (PV) arrays for homes, schools, businesses and utilities, as well as a handful of large concentrated solar power facilities in places like the Mojave Desert, raised the United States' profile as one of the world's leading adopters of solar power, officials said.
.............................................................................................
Yet, even with those caveats, industry officials and analysts forecast a continued boom in U.S. solar markets over the near term, with a projected 31 percent growth target for 2015. The growth will be fueled by falling costs for solar panels and modules, business model innovation that allows for more flexibility in ownership, favorable political and regulatory environments, and increased access to low-cost capital.

Solar Power Sees Unprecedented Boom in U.S.

31% growth in a year. But you say that people are not flocking to solar? I think that you are being willfully ignorant.

Are you using solar panels to power your home?

I did a little bit (just a quick cursory search), and I found this. You are telling me that solar power is affordable, yet my search says something else entirely.

So . . . like I said earlier, it is not CHEAP ENOUGH for people to want it. If you want a successful alternative energy source, it HAS to be cheap.

Another problem that I just read about is that there is no way to store energy when using solar panels, and that is kind of important if you live in an area where you don't have sunshine every day.

Problems With Solar Energy

What is hampering solar power has everything to do with cost. It is five to eleven times more expensive to produce electricity from the sun than it is from coal, hydro or nuclear sources. The first problem is with the cost of the technology:

• Solar panels use expensive semiconductor material to generate electricity directly from sunlight. Semiconductor factories need 'clean' manufacturing environments and are expensive to build & maintain.

• The efficiency of solar cells currently ranges from around 20% up to a top range of around 40%, although this continues to improve. The rest of the sunlight that strikes the panel is wasted as heat. More efficient photovoltaic cells have been discovered (up to 43% efficient - see How efficient is solar energy? - but these are still in relatively new and are expensive to manufacture).

So libs, why do you lie about things? It isn't even difficult to show that you are lying. Then you expect people to trust you and believe you when you will blatantly LIE about things. This is a HUGE part of your problem and you can expect people to not trust you when you are dishonest all the time even about something like THIS subject.

This is why I tell you guys that you don't consider things before you jump into something. You NEED to consider things from other people's perspectives! Most people cannot afford solar power and that is why it is not a "boom" to the energy industry. If it was cheap and reliable, then people WOULD be using it. Everyone wants to save money. Nobody "likes" their utility companies. :)

I did a little bit (just a quick cursory search), and I found this. You are telling me that solar power is affordable, yet my search says something else entirely.

So . . . like I said earlier, it is not CHEAP ENOUGH for people to want it. If you want a successful alternative energy source, it HAS to be cheap.

Another problem that I just read about is that there is no way to store energy when using solar panels, and that is kind of important if you live in an area where you don't have sunshine every day.

Problems With Solar Energy

What is hampering solar power has everything to do with cost. It is five to eleven times more expensive to produce electricity from the sun than it is from coal, hydro or nuclear sources. The first problem is with the cost of the technology:

• Solar panels use expensive semiconductor material to generate electricity directly from sunlight. Semiconductor factories need 'clean' manufacturing environments and are expensive to build & maintain.

• The efficiency of solar cells currently ranges from around 20% up to a top range of around 40%, although this continues to improve. The rest of the sunlight that strikes the panel is wasted as heat. More efficient photovoltaic cells have been discovered (up to 43% efficient - see How efficient is solar energy? - but these are still in relatively new and are expensive to manufacture).

You'll note a lot of fake news on this site related to solar energy......the k00ks consistently say its far cheaper than coal etc.........

Its a total load of shit........these phonies never add the cost of things like transmission line installation as if it wasn't part of the cost. Anybody who does a little research finds out that contruction of transmission lines is mega-expensive. The figures presented by the k00ks are always consistent in leaving this costs out of the end price and how ghey is that? They also NEVER talk to the laughable depreciation rates.......after 15-18 years, this equipment is in need of total replacement. Oh...but not at all important to the true believing k00ks.

Ahhhh........but it is indeed important to government entities who project the future of renewable energy. They factor in the considerations that are immaterial to the k00ks.......government entities, by the way, like the Obama administration Energy Information Agency which just a year ago, projected renewables out to 2040 >>>

:abgg2q.jpg:EIA’s Annual Energy Outlook 2015 - IER:abgg2q.jpg:

If you are a climate crusader k00k............not looking too good for you!!:cul2:

Forum List

Back