80 Years Ago On This Day Operation Market Garden

Deadstick

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2023
Lancashire England
On this day 80 years ago thousands of allied airborne forces dropped in the Arnhem area by parachute and Glider to try and take the Bridges over the lower Rhine it was known as operation Market Garden it became a Bridge too far, i have visited the area many times over the years but when i was there last September was probably my last visit very few vets alive now who i enjoyed meeting, but i have a live stream from Dutch TV so will be watching events from Arnhem live.

On this day 80 years ago thousands of allied airborne forces dropped in the Arnhem area by parachute and Glider to try and take the Bridges over the lower Rhine it was known as operation Market Garden it became a Bridge too far, i have visited the area many times over the years but when i was there last September was probably my last visit very few vets alive now who i enjoyed meeting, but i have a live stream from Dutch TV so will be watching events from Arnhem live.

a bridge too far.

Operation Market Garden was the brain child of British Field Marshal Montgomery.
Allied Supreme Commander Eisenhower and his staff were against Montgomery's plan and thought it was reckless and unworkable.
But Gen. Montgomery was a political animal and had Churchill and other high ranking British officials backing his plan.
So finally Gen. Eisenhower, under intense political pressure, caved and gave Gen. Montgomery the go ahead to implement Operation Market Garden.
Which turned out to be a total disaster.
...............................................................................................................................

Operation Market Garden was the brain child of British Field Marshal Montgomery.
Allied Supreme Commander Eisenhower and his staff were against Montgomery's plan and thought it was reckless and unworkable.
But Gen. Montgomery was a political animal and had Churchill and other high ranking British officials backing his plan.
So finally Gen. Eisenhower, under intense political pressure, caved and gave Gen. Montgomery the go ahead to implement Operation Market Garden.
Which turned out to be a complete disaster.

The problem with the plan was that it “could” work if executed exactly. Meaning every bridge
But it had no margin for error and error would be catastrophic

That was Montgomerys plan
Yes it was, on paper it was brilliant problem was the ground operation spearheaded by the Guards Armoured Div just one main highway they were to advance on from Belgium, the British also ignored intelligence from the Dutch underground that there were two SS divisions in the area, the rest is history.

Forum List

Back