8theist

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
A New Jersey woman who says she was denied a license plate referencing atheism filed suit this week, claiming her online application was rejected because it was deemed potentially offensive.

Shannon Morgan, of Maurice Township, said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that the Motor Vehicle Commission violated her First Amendment rights when its website rejected the plate reading "8THEIST." She said she received a message stating that her vanity plate request was ineligible as it "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency."

AOL.com Article - Shannon Morgan, New Jersey woman, sues over '8THEIST' license plate

• Banned
Do you think she has the right to have a plate that say's 8theist?

One can't have Jesus Plates in many states and or anything identifying a religions...

I read the rest of the article and it says this:

Plates such as “BAD HASS,” “,” “MPEACHW,” “GOES211”and “ISNOGOD” have all been rescinded by various state DMVs after complaints were filed. Meanwhile, “AAAGH,” “K BYE” and “TIKL ME” are all fine. Americans take to vanity plates like flies to molasses, with some 10 million in circulation, meaning millions in extra revenue for the state. Ronald Reagan had his own California plate: “GIPPER.”

But in the pantheon of questionable vanity plates, the atheist question runs deeper. Litigants in Utah and Florida have successfully fought back complaints about their “ATHEIST” plates. Standards of good taste run all over the place, though. Not long ago, a Virginia woman had to return a plate that read “HAISSEM,” or “messiah” spelled backwards.

I don't get why "MERLOT" would be banned or "GOES211", what am I missing, I always have a hard time deciphering vanity plates.

Sure she does. If telling people you're an atheist is "offensive," then why isn't telling people you're a Christian equally offensive? However, having such a plate on your car would make it a target for vandalism since many of the so-called "Christians" in this world wouldn't hesitate to express their hatred of such a view.

CaféAuLait;8963814 said:
One can't have Jesus Plates in many states and or anything identifying a religions...

I read the rest of the article and it says this:

Plates such as “BAD HASS,” “,” “MPEACHW,” “GOES211”and “ISNOGOD” have all been rescinded by various state DMVs after complaints were filed. Meanwhile, “AAAGH,” “K BYE” and “TIKL ME” are all fine. Americans take to vanity plates like flies to molasses, with some 10 million in circulation, meaning millions in extra revenue for the state. Ronald Reagan had his own California plate: “GIPPER.”

But in the pantheon of questionable vanity plates, the atheist question runs deeper. Litigants in Utah and Florida have successfully fought back complaints about their “ATHEIST” plates. Standards of good taste run all over the place, though. Not long ago, a Virginia woman had to return a plate that read “HAISSEM,” or “messiah” spelled backwards.

I don't get why "MERLOT" would be banned or "GOES211", what am I missing, I always have a hard time deciphering vanity plates.

Vanity plates should not be allowed. All they do is cause problems. The state needs to find another way to generate funds, a way that does not cause contention.

Sure she does. If telling people you're an atheist is "offensive," then why isn't telling people you're a Christian equally offensive? However, having such a plate on your car would make it a target for vandalism since many of the so-called "Christians" in this world wouldn't hesitate to express their hatred of such a view.

Good Lord. Common sense from bripat? Hell just froze over.

If it said NOALLAH she would be blown up.
Rag on muslims. I dare you.

How about no religious or anti-religious statements, no smut, and no political statements? For that matter, how about no personalized plates???

This story is disturbing in a different manner than some may think.

The plate i was confused about was GOES211 i could not figure out why it would be an issue or rescinded. I just read the article where a man in WA complained about it because he thought it meant something to do with a penis growing to 11 inches instead of the film Spinal Tap.

Well after the DMV/DOL reviewed it they decided the guy who had the plate could keep it. The strange part is, the man who complained was made public along with his complaint and emails address.

Why would the DMV/DOL need to make that public since the guy thought it meant something else? What if the person had a plate that got by? Perhaps offensive, so they publicize the persons name and address? The person that complained about the plate may be stalked and or harassed by the person who wanted the plate.

In the case of GOES211, the committee let Cava keep his plate.

“The complaint was, pardon my pun, a stretch,” says Brad Benfield, a DOL spokesman who’s served 10 years on the committee.

Asked for comment about his complaint, Dixon emailed back, “What exactly is it that you want to know? I find it disturbing that you can access my emails to the DOL.”

Public records for this story were first obtained by governmentattic.org., with additional records requested by The Seattle Times.

Vanity plates: some take too much license | Local News | The Seattle Times

That is disturbing to me. Why his name and information was given to the media because he misunderstood a license plate meaning he perceived to be vulgar?

Women complainants names were released as well, what if some guy got ticked because his plate was rescinded and he found her and took it out in her? I see no reason to release that to anyone.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8964032 said:
This story is disturbing in a different manner than some may think.

The plate i was confused about was GOES211 i could not figure out why it would be an issue or rescinded. I just read the article where a man in WA complained about it because he thought it meant something to do with a penis growing to 11 inches instead of the film Spinal Tap.

Well after the DMV/DOL reviewed it they decided the guy who had the plate could keep it. The strange part is, the man who complained was made public along with his complaint and emails address.

Why would the DMV/DOL need to make that public since the guy thought it meant something else? What if the person had a plate that got by and was offensive and they publicized the persons name and address and the person complained about stalked and or harassed the person who complained.

In the case of GOES211, the committee let Cava keep his plate.

“The complaint was, pardon my pun, a stretch,” says Brad Benfield, a DOL spokesman who’s served 10 years on the committee.

Asked for comment about his complaint, Dixon emailed back, “What exactly is it that you want to know? I find it disturbing that you can access my emails to the DOL.”

Public records for this story were first obtained by governmentattic.org., with additional records requested by The Seattle Times.

Vanity plates: some take too much license | Local News | The Seattle Times

That is disturbing to me. Why his name and information was given to the media because he misunderstood a license plate meaning he perceived to be vulgar?

Women complainants names were released as well, what if some guy got ticked because his plate was rescinded and he found her and took it out in her? I see no reason to release that to anyone.

Yes, it makes no sense. The DMV, who apparently published this information, was being very stupid. I wonder if they were reprimanded by the State. If I were the person whose personal information was released, I'd probably sue. This should not have happened! However, suing would probably make it even more public.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8964054 said:
I can read that one S.J. :eek:
Somebody at DMV caught it because it was denied. I didn't know they had anybody that smart working there. lol

Did I just read what I think I read?

IMO if anyone is stupid enough to voluntarily pay extras to the fucking government for vanity plate the n the fucking government should take their money and let them put whatever they want on the plate.

If it said NOALLAH she would be blown up.
Rag on muslims. I dare you.

Some threads really bring the roaches out from under their rocks.

=============

Should be the same rules for all.

Forum List

Back