8theist

CaféAuLait;8963814 said:
One can't have Jesus Plates in many states and or anything identifying a religions...

I read the rest of the article and it says this:

Plates such as “BAD HASS,” “,” “MPEACHW,” “GOES211”and “ISNOGOD” have all been rescinded by various state DMVs after complaints were filed. Meanwhile, “AAAGH,” “K BYE” and “TIKL ME” are all fine. Americans take to vanity plates like flies to molasses, with some 10 million in circulation, meaning millions in extra revenue for the state. Ronald Reagan had his own California plate: “GIPPER.”

But in the pantheon of questionable vanity plates, the atheist question runs deeper. Litigants in Utah and Florida have successfully fought back complaints about their “ATHEIST” plates. Standards of good taste run all over the place, though. Not long ago, a Virginia woman had to return a plate that read “HAISSEM,” or “messiah” spelled backwards.

I don't get why "MERLOT" would be banned or "GOES211", what am I missing, I always have a hard time deciphering vanity plates.

Vanity plates should not be allowed. All they do is cause problems. The state needs to find another way to generate funds, a way that does not cause contention.

Yup....let's ban and censor anything you don't like.....
...Ooop...I should have said 'anything that offends you.'

Let me guess: you're a Liberal.

Do you think she has the right to have a plate that say's 8theist?

Sure she does. If telling people you're an atheist is "offensive," then why isn't telling people you're a Christian equally offensive? However, having such a plate on your car would make it a target for vandalism since many of the so-called "Christians" in this world wouldn't hesitate to express their hatred of such a view.

Did I just read what I think I read?

I'm an atheist, if that's what you're wondering.

Sure she does. If telling people you're an atheist is "offensive," then why isn't telling people you're a Christian equally offensive? However, having such a plate on your car would make it a target for vandalism since many of the so-called "Christians" in this world wouldn't hesitate to express their hatred of such a view.

I'm an atheist, if that's what you're wondering.

Nope. Not wondering any such thing. Just caught off guard by your seemingly lucid reply. Don't get that from you often.

I can understand not allowing curse words but that seems to violate the separation of church and state principle. Government shouldn't endorse or hinder religions or spiritual beliefs. Even though atheism isn't a spiritual belief it is essentially making a statement of sorts. I'm sure she would win if she ran it up the flag pole.

Several years back in south carolina, they tried to sell choose life tags. Oh the outrage, abortion supporters were even offered a tag supporting abortion, but choose death wasn't appealing.:eek:

CaféAuLait;8963814 said:
One can't have Jesus Plates in many states and or anything identifying a religions...

I read the rest of the article and it says this:

I don't get why "MERLOT" would be banned or "GOES211", what am I missing, I always have a hard time deciphering vanity plates.

Vanity plates should not be allowed. All they do is cause problems. The state needs to find another way to generate funds, a way that does not cause contention.

Yup....let's ban and censor anything you don't like.....
...Ooop...I should have said 'anything that offends you.'

Let me guess: you're a Liberal.

I think it should be a standard rule that anything that offends anyone should be banned and the guilty parties drawn and quartered, then the parts burned and the ashes flushed down the commode or dumped in an outhouse, then invite everyone to poop on them. :mad:

Good Lord. Common sense from bripat? Hell just froze over.

yeah! Did someone get access to his acct?

A New Jersey woman who says she was denied a license plate referencing atheism filed suit this week, claiming her online application was rejected because it was deemed potentially offensive.

Shannon Morgan, of Maurice Township, said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that the Motor Vehicle Commission violated her First Amendment rights when its website rejected the plate reading "8THEIST." She said she received a message stating that her vanity plate request was ineligible as it "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency."

AOL.com Article - Shannon Morgan, New Jersey woman, sues over '8THEIST' license plate

i remember the melt down when wingers thought they wouldn't be allowed to spread anti-cjhoie propaganda on their license plates.

A New Jersey woman who says she was denied a license plate referencing atheism filed suit this week, claiming her online application was rejected because it was deemed potentially offensive.

Shannon Morgan, of Maurice Township, said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that the Motor Vehicle Commission violated her First Amendment rights when its website rejected the plate reading "8THEIST." She said she received a message stating that her vanity plate request was ineligible as it "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency."

AOL.com Article - Shannon Morgan, New Jersey woman, sues over '8THEIST' license plate

i remember the melt down when wingers thought they wouldn't be allowed to spread anti-cjhoie propaganda on their license plates.

The looney leftist meltdown was worst, and in south carolina it was ruled unconstitutional. Looney liberals free speech hypocrisy.

What if she is promoting the eating of theists?

3067cc4c7f6ac3d0c44758a92be7ef4a.jpg

Last edited:

The looney leftist meltdown was worst, and in south carolina it was ruled unconstitutional. Looney liberals free speech hypocrisy.

Remember this one?

Lawsuit Claims 'In God We Trust' Indiana License Plates Are Unconstitutional | Fox News

The modern concept of separation of church and state (authored by a former KKK member) goes both ways. Welcome to the 21'st century.

How about no religious or anti-religious statements, no smut, and no political statements? For that matter, how about no personalized plates???

Could I get one that says "TRANNY" if I love my transmission?

:D

What if she is promoting the eating of theists?

3067cc4c7f6ac3d0c44758a92be7ef4a.jpg

:lol:

Technically it would be past tense, hence a confession.

No word on whether license plate confessions are admissible in court though....

I don't know -- can you get a "Choose Life" license plate in a state that has the death penalty?

:eusa_think:

Forum List

Back