A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Supposedly their system was down and couldn't confirm the checks were "good".
Was the system really dow though? There are lots of things that can be done to verify the veracity of a check, particularly for a person who is an existing customer. Apparently, this particular banker decided to be a "c k" blocker just to be a pain in the ass to one of their customers and cause annoyance and be an impediment to his financial plans although she couldn't actually prevent them.

I for one, am very glad that if nothing else, the bank will have to answer to his attorney and/or the courts for her poor decisions.

Was the system really dow though?

Down or not, he anted $13,000 in cash.

There are lots of things that can be done to verify the veracity of a check, particularly for a person who is an existing customer.

Even if they confirmed they were good, they weren't going to give him $13,000 in cash instantly.
Even if the customer has $0.52 in his account.

It happens to whites as well. To such a degree that the banks are protected:
Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.
Banks are equal opportunity discriminators. They hate us all...
Where in that code does it mention calling the police?

It is one thing to believe someone is engaged in fraudulent behavior, erroneous as your belief may be, and therefore refuse them service. It is an entirely different matter to publically and erroneously accuse them of fraudulent behavior and then call the police on them when they haven't engaged in any criminal behavior. This applies no matter what your race is. In this case however, the thing that the bank employee said she needed to do, which was to verify the validity of the checks, once it was provided, was still not enough, apparently even with the police there.

Absolute proof that it was racial discrimination? Well anything can be argued however unless the bank can provide an example of them having denied a white customer the right to open another deposit account in that or a similar substantial amount, then yeah it looks like racial discrimination in the sense that apparently she could not conceive of any scenario in which this black man could have that much money to deposit. It's not even like he was trying to cash the checks and walk out with it. She could have opened the account and put a long enough hold on the funds until they cleared to ensure that the bank would not be out of any money if there was anything untoward occurring but no, she had to falsely accuse him of a crime, in all likelihood because he's black and call the police on him.

And that's why they're being sued.

Of course you're right on this event.. But the SUSPICION factor is made worse for ALL of us by Federal regulations associated with the Patriot Act.. Me and my white skin also.. ALL deposits over $10,000 are required to be reported to Homeland Security.. That triggers A BUNCH of paperwork and requires the bank to supply HISTORY on the client.. This may add additional holds on the deposits.. So you are being spied on and your information is being collected and analyzed...

THIS makes bank people very nervous and very suspicious BY LAW... The same way a doctor is INTIMIDATED by Fed attempts to "solve the opioid crisis" by leaning on DOCTORS and looking over THEIR shoulders. It's THEIR ASS if they don't match the guidelines for people in pain.. Or end up being conned by some addict that's doctor shopping.. There's a national registry they have to check before writing a prescription for Class I pain killers.

So banks are federally licensed.. And a mistake in failing to report large deposits correctly or supplying wrong or incomplete information could cost them their ass..

But yeah... Race mattered here...

Last edited:
I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.
and what type of hate is the stupid bitch filled with??

Hate for check depositers??

Evidently there's a huge pandemic of "class envy" going on as well.. Just sayin'.. You know THAT bias is pretty strong right now...
it wasn't class envy....

I think the guy trying to withdraw 13K immediately after depositing a check will probably send up red flags....

I need more information before I can say this was racially motivated.....

I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.

Evidently there's a huge pandemic of "class envy" going on as well.. Just sayin'.. You know THAT bias is pretty strong right now...
it wasn't class envy....

I think the guy trying to withdraw 13K immediately after depositing a check will probably send up red flags....

I know the bank person was under stress on a deposit that large, but the "calling the cops" part was racially motivated. Depends on their clientele and location whether she's displayed this behavior in the past...

it wasn't class envy....

I know the bank person was under stress on a deposit that large, but the "calling the cops" part was racially motivated. Depends on their clientele and location whether she's displayed this behavior in the past...
Maybe she was afraid he was going to get violent (like most black bucks are) -- and out of fear, she called the police...…

If blacks weren't such violent animals, maybe she wouldn't have called the police.....

Just look at the stats.....he deserved it....

151122-resnick-trump-tweet-tease_mpzb6l.jpg

it wasn't class envy....

Maybe she was afraid he was going to get violent (like most black bucks are) -- and out of fear, she called the police...…

If blacks weren't such violent animals, maybe she wouldn't have called the police.....

View attachment 303765

Like I said above, the banking laws now REQUIRE banks to "know their customer" and bring a LOT of pressure on them to turn into Private Investigators if they DON'T really know you...

Likely he was grilled a bit... Depending on his reaction to that grilling, MAYBE -- there's a chance he took it personally or wasn't TOLD about the rules...

So maybe I'll backtrack a bit here and WAIT for the bank to make a statement about "calling the police".. If his sources of the funds was ANYTHING LEGAL -- other than a Civil Rights settlement ---

I wouldn't be suspicious about his ATTITUDE and reaction to the neccessary, govt mandated grilling... :2up: But since there's a history of finding racism here -- MAYBE I need to hear the bank's side of the events....

:5_1_12024:

it wasn't class envy....

Laws have to be changed Bill. All of those protests mean nothing in cities if the criminal code keeps expanding and more and more money that the governments receive come from them. Those Prog mayors have put lip gloss on the criminal code pig.

Would be pretty ironic if this guy wins TWO back to back, Civil Rights violation awards... Wouldn't it?? :badgrin:

If it's that easy to stumble into $99,000 discrimination case checks ---- who the hell needs reparations??? :D

it wasn't class envy....

Laws have to be changed Bill. All of those protests mean nothing in cities if the criminal code keeps expanding and more and more money that the governments receive come from them. Those Prog mayors have put lip gloss on the criminal code pig.
If those laws inconvenience decent Americans -- then they should be changed for decent Americans and only targeted against the blacks and other savage thugs for whom these laws are better suited for....

This is where we need a revised Jim Crow set of laws that targets these groups with surgical precision, that way real Americans are not caught up in it...

I am all for big government when it comes to going after black scum.....just look at the stats....

I have talked to many black conservatives and they don't mind being targeted in this way -- because they know they will be treated fairly once authorities realize they are conservatives

it wasn't class envy....

If those laws inconvenience decent Americans -- then they should be changed for decent Americans and only targeted against the blacks and other savage thugs for whom these laws are better suited for....

This is where we need a revised Jim Crow set of laws that targets these groups with surgical precision, that way real Americans are not caught up in it...

I am all for big government when it comes to going after black scum.....just look at the stats....

I have talked to many black conservatives and they don't mind being targeted in this way -- because they know they will be treated fairly once authorities realize they are conservatives
Those laws should be removed. And do African Americans want a police presence in their neighborhoods?

Didn't need to go there. Plenty of illegal money being washed by other colors than black... But they DO inconvienence all of us -- INCLUDING the low level staff at the bank who are turned into snitches by the govt...

Biff_Poindexter writes,

You write with unwarranted prejudice here....., I know that a lot of Black people are not violent, I see that reality everyday.

The Bank Manager stated she should NOT have called the Police at all, which is what caused so much trouble. The same Back Manager also stated that the checks couldn't be verified at the time, which is why they were so reluctant make a NEW Savings account to put the UNverified checks into. This is normal Bank behavior, don't accept very large $$$ sized unverified checks by making a new account for them. They definitely don't give you cash until the checks are cleared first, a normal bank practice.

I see that Flacaltenn made an interesting observation:

"....Me and my white skin also.. ALL deposits over $10,000 are required to be reported to Homeland Security.. That triggers A BUNCH of paperwork and requires the bank to supply HISTORY on the client.. This may add additional holds on the deposits...."

I can't be sure whether is was full racism or not, since I wasn't there, the article doesn't provide enough evidence either way for it either, let the lawsuit decide on it.

In any case the Bank did a poor job handling it, if we can accept the slender information from the article.

=====
With all the appropriate documents and cards in 2005, I tried to ADD my lawfully documented immigrant wife to my 20 year old savings account, it was refused because of the Patriot Act. This despite that I had the Department Of Homeland card, The Department of Immigration card and her Right to work Card from the Department of Labor, it didn't matter that she also had a valid Social Security card to show.

I was angry, considered a lawsuit but dropped it. Moved to a nearby town four years later that had the same Bank name as the other place, there it was easy to add my wife to the SAME 20 year old savings account. Not long afterwards the Supervisor BITCH who said no in the other town in 2005 was in the second Bank while my wife was taking out some money, stood there in surprise, but did nothing.

My wife is dark skinned, wonder if that was the true reason why that white BITCH said no?

The first bank is 100% White, the second bank had several brown skinned tellers, gee I wonder why it was so easy to enroll her there........

it wasn't class envy....

How big a tantrum did he throw when they wouldn't give him $13,000 in cash for one of the checks?

If there is the fact that it is legitimately your money, who the hell are the banks with the collusion of government think they are? The banks are controlled and/or owned by globalists. They want to know where you are spending and taking your money. They use drugs as a reason for being nosy. In time there will probably be very little cash and we will have a cashless society. That will make things much easier for them to control us all. Eliminate the black market /andor underground work unless it is barter. Plus they can hide inflation better as we notice less purchasing power more when we use cash.

I don't think it is even that. I honestly doubt she was hate filled... I think she really believed this was fraud.

Stupid maybe. I would have called in the check first, and then called police if the check didn't clear. Perhaps she was poorly trained, and actually didn't know how to call in a check.

But here's the problem.... large checks like that are questioned all the time. I've had a check questioned.

And if you do a quick search on google... there are many examples where people have the police called, because they suspect check fraud. The difference is, those were white people, and so there isn't a race angle. Thus no one cares, and it doesn't make the national news.

The real problem here is simply the massive amounts of fraud across the entire country.

We need to have the death penalty for fraud, and then no one will do it, and then no one will be suspected of it.

it wasn't class envy....

How big a tantrum did he throw when they wouldn't give him $13,000 in cash for one of the checks?

We don't know.. But since I'm aware of the pressures the govt has put on the banks to do their "domestic surveillance", I PERSONALLY would be prepared to throw a tantrum if I was interrogated... And if my money wasn't available in a reasonable time..

Difference is --- I'm not a black man.. So who knows what would happen... My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

Gotta wait for a response from the bank..

it wasn't class envy....

We don't know.. But since I'm aware of the pressures the govt has put on the banks to do their "domestic surveillance", I PERSONALLY would be prepared to throw a tantrum if I was interrogated... And if my money wasn't available in a reasonable time..

Difference is --- I'm not a black man.. So who knows what would happen... My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

Well, he was a customer. His $0.52 checking account balance suggests to me that they didn't
see him very often.

They'll apologize and pay him. Cheaper to pay off the scammer than to get more bad publicity.

Biff_Poindexter writes,

You write with unwarranted prejudice here....., I know that a lot of Black people are not violent, I see that reality everyday.

The Bank Manager stated she should NOT have called the Police at all, which is what caused so much trouble. The same Back Manager also stated that the checks couldn't be verified at the time, which is why they were so reluctant make a NEW Savings account to put the UNverified checks into. This is normal Bank behavior, don't accept very large $$$ sized unverified checks by making a new account for them. They definitely don't give you cash until the checks are cleared first, a normal bank practice.

I see that Flacaltenn made an interesting observation:

"....Me and my white skin also.. ALL deposits over $10,000 are required to be reported to Homeland Security.. That triggers A BUNCH of paperwork and requires the bank to supply HISTORY on the client.. This may add additional holds on the deposits...."

I can't be sure whether is was full racism or not, since I wasn't there, the article doesn't provide enough evidence either way for it either, let the lawsuit decide on it.

In any case the Bank did a poor job handling it, if we can accept the slender information from the article.

=====
With all the appropriate documents and cards in 2005, I tried to ADD my lawfully documented immigrant wife to my 20 year old savings account, it was refused because of the Patriot Act. This despite that I had the Department Of Homeland card, The Department of Immigration card and her Right to work Card from the Department of Labor, it didn't matter that she also had a valid Social Security card to show.

I was angry, considered a lawsuit but dropped it. Moved to a nearby town four years later that had the same Bank name as the other place, there it was easy to add my wife to the SAME 20 year old savings account. Not long afterwards the Supervisor BITCH who said no in the other town in 2005 was in the second Bank while my wife was taking out some money, stood there in surprise, but did nothing.

My wife is dark skinned, wonder if that was the true reason why that white BITCH said no?

The first bank is 100% White, the second bank had several brown skinned tellers, gee I wonder why it was so easy to enroll her there........

There's a time--out on the field.. This play is under further review... :coffee:

I kinda lept to the racism explanation at first.. But after reading a couple articles here, I think this is gonna turn out to be a serial race bias litigator..

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Bank spokesman Tom Wennerberg told the Detroit Free Press that the branch manager is African American and that Thomas' race was not a factor.

The bank also told the news outlet in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

Now I dont blame Mr Thomas for filing a NEW discrimination suit because a bank wouldn't immediately deposit and cash back $13,000 from his LAST discrimination suit winnings.. He probably doesn't KNOW why the bank was interrogating him and not immediately cashing out 13% of that deposit..

APPARENTLY --- neither does NBC News or the AP or 2 or 4 other sources that didn't EXPLAIN TO THE PUBLIC why the banks have a real issue with large new deposits into new accounts. So if you don't KNOW "how things work" -- it's EASY to jump to racism as the answer.

Think I explained already why most EVERYONE gets interrogated under those conditions.. But if you're black and just received $99,000 for a racial bias case, you're probably looking for zebras every time you hear hoof beats coming..

Forum List

Back