A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Evidently there's a huge pandemic of "class envy" going on as well.. Just sayin'.. You know THAT bias is pretty strong right now...
it wasn't class envy....

I think the guy trying to withdraw 13K immediately after depositing a check will probably send up red flags....

I need more information before I can say this was racially motivated.....

I know the bank person was under stress on a deposit that large, but the "calling the cops" part was racially motivated. Depends on their clientele and location whether she's displayed this behavior in the past...

How big a tantrum did he throw when they wouldn't give him $13,000 in cash for one of the checks?

We don't know.. But since I'm aware of the pressures the govt has put on the banks to do their "domestic surveillance", I PERSONALLY would be prepared to throw a tantrum if I was interrogated... And if my money wasn't available in a reasonable time..

Difference is --- I'm not a black man.. So who knows what would happen... My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

Gotta wait for a response from the bank..

My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

Well, he was a customer. His $0.52 checking account balance suggests to me that they didn't
see him very often.

They'll apologize and pay him. Cheaper to pay off the scammer than to get more bad publicity.

Third suit is the charm I guess. Hope he wins $10,001 !!!!! :113:

it wasn't class envy....

I think the guy trying to withdraw 13K immediately after depositing a check will probably send up red flags....

I know the bank person was under stress on a deposit that large, but the "calling the cops" part was racially motivated. Depends on their clientele and location whether she's displayed this behavior in the past...

How big a tantrum did he throw when they wouldn't give him $13,000 in cash for one of the checks?

We don't know.. But since I'm aware of the pressures the govt has put on the banks to do their "domestic surveillance", I PERSONALLY would be prepared to throw a tantrum if I was interrogated... And if my money wasn't available in a reasonable time..

Difference is --- I'm not a black man.. So who knows what would happen... My banks know me by name. Maybe his doesn't...

Well, he was a customer. His $0.52 checking account balance suggests to me that they didn't
see him very often.

They'll apologize and pay him. Cheaper to pay off the scammer than to get more bad publicity.

Third suit is the charm I guess. Hope he wins $10,001 !!!!! :113:

Easier than getting a job...….

Of course you're right on this event.. But the SUSPICION factor is made worse for ALL of us by Federal regulations associated with the Patriot Act.. Me and my white skin also.. ALL deposits over $10,000 are required to be reported to Homeland Security.. That triggers A BUNCH of paperwork and requires the bank to supply HISTORY on the client.. This may add additional holds on the deposits.. So you are being spied on and your information is being collected and analyzed...
Actually it's worse than that. At one time, the threshold was any transaction J over $2,500 were required to be reported to the IRS or multiple deposits/transactions of just under $2,500 to avoid triggering the reporting requirement. I believe they refer to this as structuring. Just recently an employee at one of the places I make financials transactions mentioned to me that they were required to report my activity because I had more than $2,500 in transactions in one visit. When I pointed out than my withdrawal was less than $2,500 he indicated that they apparently combined the $2,400 withdrawal with the $2,400 deposit to come up with a $4,800 single "transaction". In my opinion, that's not what the rules stipulate but I deal with this employee on a regular basis for at least a decade and trust him in the sense that he didn't have to tell me what he did.

And the only reason I know about this is because I was working on a software projection for a financial institution that required the entire team to complete compliance training and certification which was really useful when some of Wells Fargo's employees decided to try to set me up. I won't go into that here because it's very detailed but what they attempted pretty much backfired on them particularly since shortly thereafter it was revealed that they were fraudulently opening additional bank accounts for their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

I understand the financial institutions having to comply with regulations but they're not just anti-money laundering statutes, they're anti-terrorism statutes as well, or at least that's how they sell them. If you know anything at all about asset forfeiture laws then you know how horribly they've been exploited and have ruined the lives of many because their is a financial motiviation and reward inherent in detecting and enforcing violations of laws of this nature.

Evidently there's a huge pandemic of "class envy" going on as well.. Just sayin'.. You know THAT bias is pretty strong right now...
it wasn't class envy....

see him very often.

My father-in-law banks at the same bank in NJ that we bank at in Ohio. He had some money for a job my husband did for a family friend while husband was in NJ visiting my in-laws. Dad went to deposit the small amount of cash in our xxxx bank account instead of his own xxxx account, and the teller told him it smelled like money laundering!
That teller said hello to my father-in-law every day for years. He was her high school Principal.
It is ridiculous...

I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.
Some guy walks into the bank and wants to open a new savings account with $99,000 in checks. Of course it raised a big red flag.

Why wouldn't it?

90% of the time when somebody does shit like that it is fraudulent.
Hey dummy. You dont call the police. You call the issuing bank to verify.

Of course you're right on this event.. But the SUSPICION factor is made worse for ALL of us by Federal regulations associated with the Patriot Act.. Me and my white skin also.. ALL deposits over $10,000 are required to be reported to Homeland Security.. That triggers A BUNCH of paperwork and requires the bank to supply HISTORY on the client.. This may add additional holds on the deposits.. So you are being spied on and your information is being collected and analyzed...
Actually it's worse than that. At one time, the threshold was any transaction J over $2,500 were required to be reported to the IRS or multiple deposits/transactions of just under $2,500 to avoid triggering the reporting requirement. I believe they refer to this as structuring. Just recently an employee at one of the places I make financials transactions mentioned to me that they were required to report my activity because I had more than $2,500 in transactions in one visit. When I pointed out than my withdrawal was less than $2,500 he indicated that they apparently combined the $2,400 withdrawal with the $2,400 deposit to come up with a $4,800 single "transaction". In my opinion, that's not what the rules stipulate but I deal with this employee on a regular basis for at least a decade and trust him in the sense that he didn't have to tell me what he did.

And the only reason I know about this is because I was working on a software projection for a financial institution that required the entire team to complete compliance training and certification which was really useful when some of Wells Fargo's employees decided to try to set me up. I won't go into that here because it's very detailed but what they attempted pretty much backfired on them particularly since shortly thereafter it was revealed that they were fraudulently opening additional bank accounts for their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

I understand the financial institutions having to comply with regulations but they're not just anti-money laundering statutes, they're anti-terrorism statutes as well, or at least that's how they sell them. If you know anything at all about asset forfeiture laws then you know how horribly they've been exploited and have ruined the lives of many because their is a financial motiviation and reward inherent in detecting and enforcing violations of laws of this nature.

I'm thrilled you understand the nuances on this.. It's worse than reporting to the IRS tho under the Patriotic act. The entire might of the Federal Govt is involved in the "Know Your Customer" edict to the banks.. That includes Homeland Security, and the Intel agencies. The next bank inspection by Federal auditors could close that bank down if all the forms and paperwork and "intelligence gathering" isn't done right...

FORTUNATELY. the trigger threshold for the Patriot Act spying on financial transactions is $10,000 not just $2500 for the old IRS reporting.. I WANT to understand the call to the police. But the fact the money in question was from a "racial bias" payout and the SPEED to which this guy leaped to suing makes me suspicious of HIS actions in the matter...

I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.
Some guy walks into the bank and wants to open a new savings account with $99,000 in checks. Of course it raised a big red flag.

Why wouldn't it?

And what do you do if the person tosses a tantrum and loses it because you cannot BY LAW just give them back 13% of the Patriotic Act impounded checks?? Especially if he's screaming racism and the poor teller is worried about the NSA and Homeland Security??

Why wouldn't it?

They don't do that anymore. They verify checks via computer. And it just so happens that the computer program that verifies the checks was down on the very same day that some dude comes into the bank wanting to deposit a very large and inordinate amount of money into a new savings account.

Any bank manager in their right mind would just say " Fuck you, that's not a coincidence, I'm calling the FBI.

Why wouldn't it?

And what do you do if the person tosses a tantrum and loses it because you cannot BY LAW just give them back 13% of the Patriotic Act impounded checks?? Especially if he's screaming racism and the poor teller is worried about the NSA and Homeland Security??
Then you call the police. I find if you simply say you're going to verify something then someone committing fraud will disappear.

Why wouldn't it?

They don't do that anymore. They verify checks via computer. And it just so happens that the computer program that verifies the checks was down on the very same day that some dude comes into the bank wanting to deposit a very large and inordinate amount of money into a new savings account.

Any bank manager in their right mind would just say " Fuck you, that's not a coincidence, I'm calling the FBI.
Wrong. They do still do that. Had a bank do that to me last year.

I'm thrilled you understand the nuances on this.. It's worse than reporting to the IRS tho under the Patriotic act. The entire might of the Federal Govt is involved in the "Know Your Customer" edict to the banks.. That includes Homeland Security, and the Intel agencies. The next bank inspection by Federal auditors could close that bank down if all the forms and paperwork and "intelligence gathering" isn't done right...

FORTUNATELY. the trigger threshold for the Patriot Act spying on financial transactions is $10,000 not just $2500 for the old IRS reporting.. I WANT to understand the call to the police. But the fact the money in question was from a "racial bias" payout and the SPEED to which this guy leaped to suing makes me suspicious of HIS actions in the matter...
What would you think and what would you do, if practically every time you attempted to conduct regular every day business with your bank, or insurance company or whatever, there was ALWAYS a problem?

I ask because this was happening to me on a regular basis and I was highly suspicious of what was going on but the activity could always be "justified" by referring to some regulation, rule, law or whatever. Basically refusal or service, subpar service or always screwing up your requests or orders? And I mean just going about your life on a daily basis, doing the same things that everyone does or is required to do except in your case there is always problem or hassle of some sort.

What you would think and what would you do?

What would you think and what would you do, if practically every time you attempted to conduct regular every day business with your bank, or insurance company or whatever, there was ALWAYS a problem?

I ask because this was happening to me on a regular basis and I was highly suspicious of what was going on but the activity could always be "justified" by referring to some regulation, rule, law or whatever. Basically refusal or service, subpar service or always screwing up your requests or orders? And I mean just going about your life on a daily basis, doing the same things that everyone does or is required to do except in your case there is always problem or hassle of some sort.

What you would think and what would you do?
EminentFewCopperhead-size_restricted.gif

Why wouldn't it?

According to the article in the OP, this bank verifies checks via an online computer system, so fuck off, DAN.

Your semi-simian logic fails.

Why wouldn't it?

According to the article in the OP, this bank verifies checks via an online computer system, so fuck off DAN.

You fucking idiot. Banks always employ several methods of verifying funds. They're in the business of taking your money.

Why wouldn't it?

According to the article in the OP, this bank verifies checks via an online computer system, so fuck off DAN.

You fucking idiot. Banks always employ several methods of verifying funds. They're in the business of taking your money.
The method that particular bank was using failed. So fuck off, DAN.

Forum List

Back