A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.
No excuse for the bank to treat people this way.

Which way?
Calling the police for depositing a check. If he had credentials to prove who he was, which most likely he did, why call the police?

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

No excuse for the bank to treat people this way.

Which way?
Calling the police for depositing a check. If he had credentials to prove who he was, which most likely he did, why call the police?

Calling the police for depositing a check.

They didn't call the police for depositing a check.

If he had credentials to prove who he was, which most likely he did, why call the police?

It sounds like he wanted to make a deposit and get cash. It sounds like he didn't have a sufficient balance
to immediately withdraw the cash he wanted.
Supposedly their system was down and couldn't confirm the checks were "good".
Even if they were good, banks typically hold the funds for a day or two. He probably threw a tantrum
and when he wouldn't leave, they called the police.

I see another check in his future.

And rightly so.

When you find a scam that works, work it......

Up yours. Maybe there you'll find a brain and then wonder what or how you would feel if you were treated in this manner.

Why would I try to immediately get cash from a large check deposit?
If you tried, would you be surprised when they didn't instantly hand you a stack of $100s?

And rightly so.

Up yours. Maybe there you'll find a brain and then wonder what or how you would feel if you were treated in this manner.

If you tried, would you be surprised when they didn't instantly hand you a stack of $100s?

If I had proper ID, which I did, and the trust document from my dad's estate along with the death certificate, which I had with me, the Wells Fargo Bank tried to put me off, since the funds in his WF account were in the low six figures. I'm white, and I'm assertive and I demanded a written note from the bank manager listing the reason(s) for the delay.

In five minutes I had a cashier's check.

And rightly so.

If I had proper ID, which I did, and the trust document from my dad's estate along with the death certificate, which I had with me, the Wells Fargo Bank tried to put me off, since the funds in his WF account were in the low six figures. I'm white, and I'm assertive and I demanded a written note from the bank manager listing the reason(s) for the delay.

the Wells Fargo Bank tried to put me off, since the funds in his WF account were in the low six figures.

Funds in your dad's account are good funds. Nothing waiting to clear.
Unlike the 3 checks the guy in the OP presented.

If you went in with $99,000 in checks and demanded $13,000 in cash, without sufficient funds in your existing account, would your assertive whiteness be successful?

And rightly so.

the Wells Fargo Bank tried to put me off, since the funds in his WF account were in the low six figures.

If you went in with $99,000 in checks and demanded $13,000 in cash, without sufficient funds in your existing account, would your assertive whiteness be successful?

I'd be a fool to even ask to walk out with $13k in my pocket.

That or a pimp.

According to Wennerberg, Thomas wanted to deposit the two larger checks in his bank account, which, Wennerberg said, had only 52 cents in it. And he wanted to cash the $13,000 check, he said, adding the bank told him that those funds would be on hold for two business days, and that Thomas said "fine." Thomas also wanted a new debit card because, he told the bank, his old one wasn't working, he said, adding that request sounded unusual as well.

Detroit man settles race discrimination lawsuit, then bank won't cash his check

This thread is ignorant and stupid. Apparently you can never call the police on a black guy for any reason at any time or else youre a racist. The OP should just shut his stupid punkass mouth. People are sock and tired of this race-baiting bullshit.

This reminds me of when Trump called that piece of shit Maxine Waters stupid and everyone called him a racist. Guess what: Trump called that piece of shit Maxine Waters stupid because she IS stupid, not because she's black.

I have a suggestion for the OP: Print this thread out, wad the paper into a ball and shove it up your stupid ass.
This thread is ignorant and stupid. Apparently you can never call the police on a black guy for any reason at any time or else youre a racist. The OP should just shut his stupid punkass mouth. People are sock and tired of this race-baiting bullshit.

This reminds me of when Trump called that piece of shit Maxine Waters stupid and everyone called him a racist. Guess what: Trump called that piece of shit Maxine Waters stupid because she IS stupid, not because she's black.

I have a suggestion for the OP: Print this thread out, wad the paper into a ball and shove it up your stupid ass.
Who let the skank in?
, why call the police?
if you see something say something- isn't that what our fearless leaders want?
And this is what you get when people are ignorant of the laws, and/or racist/bigoted, a bunch of fucking amateurs.

And the occasional skank.

Supposedly their system was down and couldn't confirm the checks were "good".
Was the system really dow though? There are lots of things that can be done to verify the veracity of a check, particularly for a person who is an existing customer. Apparently, this particular banker decided to be a "c k" blocker just to be a pain in the ass to one of their customers and cause annoyance and be an impediment to his financial plans although she couldn't actually prevent them.

I for one, am very glad that if nothing else, the bank will have to answer to his attorney and/or the courts for her poor decisions.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back