A couple questions about DC statehood

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
1. Article 4 section 3 states a new state can't be made from the territory of an existing state without the state's permission.
2. Article 1 section 8 clause 17 states that the federal capitol is a federal district. So does that mean DC would be a "federal state?" Or would the Capitol have to be moved?

IMO an amendment is needed. Its so obvious it slaps you in the face.

1. Article 4 section 3 states a new state can't be made from the territory of an existing state without the state's permission.
2. Article 1 section 8 clause 17 states that the federal capitol is a federal district. So does that mean DC would be a "federal state?" Or would the Capitol have to be moved?

Since D.C. is a is a federal district, not a state, it doesn't need permission from a state because it isn't part of a state. At least that's how I read it. I don't see why they don't just ask to get taken into VA or MD though. Why go to all the effort to create a state, a state legislature, a state constitution, the whole apparatus when it's nothing but a city. It already has a city government, although Congress can override it if it feels it must. If it becomes a state, Congress couldn't do that, either. It would be on state ground.

Interesting. How did the vote go?

DC is separate from any state.

There may be a way to exclude Federal property from the state of DC. Federal entities currently operate in every state.

I think we should move the Capital to Mar A Lago and have DC absorbed by Maryland

Since D.C. is a is a federal district, not a state, it doesn't need permission from a state because it isn't part of a state. At least that's how I read it. I don't see why they don't just ask to get taken into VA or MD though. Why go to all the effort to create a state, a state legislature, a state constitution, the whole apparatus when it's nothing but a city. It already has a city government, although Congress can override it if it feels it must. If it becomes a state, Congress couldn't do that, either. It would be on state ground.

DC is a territory inside Maryland, isnt it? Didnt maryland gove DC to the federal govt for a capitol and not a state? Idk maybe I need to read the agreement.
Im sure it passed in the House, if they voted yet. Idk.
Its a pure partisan issue. No doubt it will pass in house and fail in senate.

The left wants two senators ...

DC is a territory inside Maryland, isnt it? Didnt maryland gove DC to the federal govt for a capitol and not a state? Idk maybe I need to read the agreement.
Is this all about wanting two more Dem senators?

The left wants two senators ...
I just figured that out.

Yep. And thats why they wont do an amendment. It will never happen. They tried before and it expired.

Yep. And thats why they wont do an amendment. It will never happen. They tried before and it expired.

Nixion gave them a house rep, I think it's sufficient.

Without senators, the DC citizens have no representation when it comes to judges, the president's cabinet pics, trade agreements, and treaties etc...

cutting out of the D.C. 10 BY 10 MILE TERRITORY, the area where the public lives... and giving it to Mayland would be easiest...

That way the federal government area can still be autonomous.... NOT ANSWER to a State...

And the DC citizens get senate representation thru Maryland.

Okay, so some Dem will probably slam me for this, but I wish the Dems would stop playing partisan games like investigating the same stuff the Mueller report covered (in a creative attempt to get Donald's bank records) and cooking up a scheme to get themselves two extra Senate seats. Both involve a lot of time and energy they should be spending on useful legislation and figuring out a way to get it passed. Like the infrastructure and immigration stuff that truly needs to be done.

And they can back off Susan Collins, too. Dems are campaigning against her all over the country, the fuckers. Ain't their business.

Without senators, the DC citizens have no representation when it comes to judges, the president's cabinet pics, trade agreements, and treaties etc...

cutting out of the D.C. 10 BY 10 MILE TERRITORY, the area where the public lives... and giving it to Mayland would be easiest...

That way the federal government area can still be autonomous.... NOT ANSWER to a State...

That makes more sense.

That sounds way too easy. Would they not need an amendment for that?

Okay, so some Dem will probably slam me for this, but I wish the Dems would stop playing partisan games like investigating the same stuff the Mueller report covered (in a creative attempt to get Donald's bank records) and cooking up a scheme to get themselves two extra Senate seats. Both involve a lot of time and energy they should be spending on useful legislation and figuring out a way to get it passed. Like the infrastructure and immigration stuff that truly needs to be done.

And they can back off Susan Collins, too. Dems are campaigning against her all over the country, the fuckers. Ain't their business.
If the partisan games stopped, the duopoly would stop. Tis a pipe dream, my dear

That sounds way too easy. Would they not need an amendment for that?
Not in my opinion. Just recede all but the ten square miles back to maryland. No ammendment needed.
However, I doubt they would do that. It isnt about those peoples representation, its about power.

Forum List

Back