A couple questions about DC statehood

I think the corrupt bought and paid for DC area already has over the top representation within the Federal government so NO on making it a state.

They only get to vote for President

The Constitution gives Congress full authority over DC, yet residents don’t get to vote for anyone in Congress
I thought someone said they have a Rep in the House?
that made me look it up!

District of Columbia

The District of Columbia (DC) is the nation’s capital district. Although DC has a larger population than some states, the District is not one of the fifty states and so has no senators and its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens
It all comes down to they have no voice in selecting those who are given complete control over their city.

Why should any Senator or Congressman care about what happens in DC?

Like to help ya son, but you’re too young to vote.
Ain’t no cure for the Summertime Blues

I think the corrupt bought and paid for DC area already has over the top representation within the Federal government so NO on making it a state.

The Constitution gives Congress full authority over DC, yet residents don’t get to vote for anyone in Congress
I thought someone said they have a Rep in the House?
that made me look it up!

District of Columbia

The District of Columbia (DC) is the nation’s capital district. Although DC has a larger population than some states, the District is not one of the fifty states and so has no senators and its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens
It all comes down to they have no voice in selecting those who are given complete control over their city.

Why should any Senator or Congressman care about what happens in DC?

Like to help ya son, but you’re too young to vote.
Ain’t no cure for the Summertime Blues
The Eddie Cochran version or the 1970 version?

They knew that going in, if they don't like it they can move their ass out.

1. Article 4 section 3 states a new state can't be made from the territory of an existing state without the state's permission.
2. Article 1 section 8 clause 17 states that the federal capitol is a federal district. So does that mean DC would be a "federal state?" Or would the Capitol have to be moved?

IMO an amendment is needed. Its so obvious it slaps you in the face.

I think we should move the Capital to Mar A Lago and have DC absorbed by Maryland
Well I'm all for splitting Washington up and scattering it around the nation so they can't get up to so much mischief, then flushing DC down the toilet.

Washington D.C. will eventually be a state. Its larger than some other states in population and the citizens of D.C. deserve representation in the House Of Representatives and the Senate.

Washington D.C. will eventually be a state. Its larger than some other states in population and the citizens of D.C. deserve representation in the House Of Representatives and the Senate.

No they don't they are a US territory, ceded form two States, if the citizens don't like their status they can move to a State.

Lib please much of that corrupt mess has spilled over into Virginia where they took over a whole state. Those scum they commute in to DC daily.

Ok. An amendment is all you need. Good luck

They knew that going in, if they don't like it they can move their ass out.

Typical Love it or Leave It response

People have a right to use the system to resolve injustice

Lib please much of that corrupt mess has spilled over into Virginia where they took over a whole state. Those scum they commute in to DC daily.

People in Virginia have representation in Congress

No they don't they are a US territory, ceded form two States, if the citizens don't like their status they can move to a State.

Puerto Rico is a US territory

They do not get to vote either. But they are exempt from Federal taxes.

Should DC be treated the same?

They don't "deserve" dick!

Best case, relocated the government to Mar A Lago, hand DC back to Maryland

1. Article 4 section 3 states a new state can't be made from the territory of an existing state without the state's permission.
2. Article 1 section 8 clause 17 states that the federal capitol is a federal district. So does that mean DC would be a "federal state?" Or would the Capitol have to be moved?

If the District of Columbia were to be given statehood, I think it would be critical to move the capital out of there.

Having a state with so many of its residents involved as bureaucrats with their own agendas is a problem.

Moving the capital into the interior of the nation would be more of a strategic move as well for providing fortifications and protecting the President and the government.

Since D.C. is a is a federal district, not a state, it doesn't need permission from a state because it isn't part of a state. At least that's how I read it. I don't see why they don't just ask to get taken into VA or MD though. Why go to all the effort to create a state, a state legislature, a state constitution, the whole apparatus when it's nothing but a city. It already has a city government, although Congress can override it if it feels it must. If it becomes a state, Congress couldn't do that, either. It would be on state ground.

Interesting. How did the vote go?
DC is a territory inside Maryland, isnt it? Didnt maryland gove DC to the federal govt for a capitol and not a state? Idk maybe I need to read the agreement.
Im sure it passed in the House, if they voted yet. Idk.
Its a pure partisan issue. No doubt it will pass in house and fail in senate.
Is this all about wanting two more Dem senators?
Yes

If the District of Columbia were to be given statehood, I think it would be critical to move the capital out of there.

Having a state with so many of its residents involved as bureaucrats with their own agendas is a problem.

Moving the capital into the interior of the nation would be more of a strategic move as well for providing fortifications and protecting the President and the government.

I would move the Capitol to one of those red states if they lose their congressmen too

The House approved of DC Statehood today

What a waste of time, really.

There is no chance that the Senate will put it up for a vote

Isn't there something useful they could have done instead of just making a pointless political gesture?

First time it has ever been up for a vote and passed
Wont be the last.

Let Republicans keep blocking it with no other than political reasons.

The District of Columbia has no representatives to stand up for their interests.

What if a Senator were to say they didn’t want to fund DC because there are too many black people in DC?

Forum List

Back