A&E just caved. No more Phil suspension.

Then why doesn't he?
I dunno. I left my Ability-to-Explain-the-Universe powers in my other coat.
I didn't. There is no God. Never was. Problems are only going to get solved when we decide to solve them.
You may be right.

You may be wrong.

I dunno.

Must be nice, being as certain as you are, about the existence of a God.

I'm a little more humble and uncertain on that particular subject.

But that's stuff best left for the Religion forum, I'm sure.

I didn't. There is no God. Never was. Problems are only going to get solved when we decide to solve them.
You may be right.

You may be wrong.

I dunno.

Why?

You may be right.

You may be wrong.

I dunno.

I would normally agree, but two points.

When you have someone who rationalizes his homophobia and racism on the existence of a Sky Pixie, one should challenge if that Sky Pixie exists.

Secondly, whether or not there is a God, I refuse to believe the universe is so badly designed the Bible God is the Creator.

Joe, I see your remarks as disrespectful and downright hostile towards People of Faith, and their beliefs. I'm not gonna go there with you; at least not in this forum. Instead, I will merely state that I fully support Phil's legal and spiritual right to formulate and express such opinions about homosexuality based upon the venerable and time-honored teachings and religious beliefs of his Judeo-Christian ancestors and present-day positions of that belief-system.

Last edited:
I feel unsafe in my home too. Scared some pervert will break in and shoot me and kidnap my kids to molest. 90% of male perverts are child molesters. The priest scandal proved that.

Joe, I see your remarks as disrespectful and downright hostile towards People of Faith, and their beliefs. I'm not gonna go there with you; at least not in this forum. Instead, I will merely state that I fully support Phil's legal and spiritual right to formulate and express such opinions about homosexuality based upon the venerable and time-honored teachings and religious beliefs of his Judeo-Christian ancestors and present-day positions of that belief-system.

Okay, let's suppose Phil was burning witches, and realize how ridiculous what you just said sounds. Let's pretend that Phil is Cotton Mather.

"Instead, I will merely state that I fully support Cotton's legal and spiritual right to formulate and express such opinions about witch-burning based upon the venerable and time-honored teachings and religious beliefs of his Judeo-Christian ancestors and present-day positions of that belief-system."

Okay, see how absurd it sounds now?

Okay, let's suppose Phil was burning witches, and realize how ridiculous what you just said sounds. Let's pretend that Phil is Cotton Mather.

"Instead, I will merely state that I fully support Cotton's legal and spiritual right to formulate and express such opinions about witch-burning based upon the venerable and time-honored teachings and religious beliefs of his Judeo-Christian ancestors and present-day positions of that belief-system."

Okay, see how absurd it sounds now?
The Church stopped trying and executing Witches because it had erroneously killed thousands of people - due to its inability to prove such a status.

The Church has no such problem of identification with respect to homosexuals.

And the detrimental and negative macro-level effects of homosexuality upon society are just as legitimately real and dangerous today as they were 3000 or 4000 years ago.

In your example, you serve-up a questionable and non-demonstrable status (witch) and impact (harmful effects of witchcraft), and I, too, would join alongside those who question, and would not utter such rationalizations.

In Phil's example, he served-up a traditional and still largely-dominant condemnation of aberrant sexual practices and lifestyle which may be associated with a variety of licentious and degenerate aftereffects and impacts upon society at large.

It's an apples-and-oranges situation.

Even if it were not - and it is - I would joyfully play the 'Cafeteria Centrist' and cherry-pick-and-choose the situations for which such scrutiny should apply and those for which such scrutiny should be jettisoned. There's a touch of hypocrisy in that, but we all have a touch of that within us someplace, on some issue or another, and I'm just fine with that.

Last edited:
As you read further into the article, the kid admits he was raised by a man just like Phil and told him his boyfriend would never be welcomed at his house. He also admits sitting in the pew at his church and hearing his preacher say homosexuals didn't deserve the same joy of raising a family due to their depravity. And the kid has the audacity to call that persecution. From where I sit I call that preaching and telling the truth. So to sum it up...the kid has known from a very early age his "lifestyle" is wrong. And now he's trying to blame Phil for his problems

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson 'made me feel unsafe' gay Louisiana student says in open letter | Mail Online

A closeted gay student living in West Monroe, Louisiana has written a powerful essay, criticizing the town's most famous residents - Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson.

Robertson made headlines after issuing homophobic comments in a GQ article, at one point comparing gay sex to bestiality, which got him put on suspension by the A&E network. But the network announced yesterday that they would be reinstating Robertson to the show, who so far has remained unapologetic about the comments.

In an essay posted on Times-Picuyne columnist Robert Mann's blog, the communications student writes that Robertson probably didn't mean to hurt anyone with his statements, he nonetheless created a hostile environment.

'He encouraged - hopefully unintentionally - a two-week-long "fag bashing" in Monroe and around the world. He made me feel unsafe in my own home. I can't count how many times I heard "faggot" over the Christmas visit home.'

more in link

Here's the blog itself. Bravo to that young man! :smiliehug:

A&E didn't cave. It was a publicity stunt to get viewers. Of course they were never going to permanently suspend the guy and fully alienate their core viewers. And since their core viewers are morons that are too stupid to hold a grudge and not watch; they'll get away with it.

As you read further into the article, the kid admits he was raised by a man just like Phil and told him his boyfriend would never be welcomed at his house. He also admits sitting in the pew at his church and hearing his preacher say homosexuals didn't deserve the same joy of raising a family due to their depravity. And the kid has the audacity to call that persecution.
Looks like the kid is calling it as it is. You simply think the persecution is justified.

A&E didn't cave. It was a publicity stunt to get viewers. Of course they were never going to permanently suspend the guy and fully alienate their core viewers. And since their core viewers are morons that are too stupid to hold a grudge and not watch; they'll get away with it.

Wow, for once we agree on something.

I can't say for sure they set it up intentionally but I agree with the rest. I figure both the original suspension and the suspension of that suspension were driven by advertisers, to whom a bullshit network like A&E incessantly whores.

As you read further into the article, the kid admits he was raised by a man just like Phil and told him his boyfriend would never be welcomed at his house. He also admits sitting in the pew at his church and hearing his preacher say homosexuals didn't deserve the same joy of raising a family due to their depravity. And the kid has the audacity to call that persecution.
Looks like the kid is calling it as it is. You simply think the persecution is justified.

There is no persecution!

If that was the motivation they were idiots. They are, and will be, lucky if they don't lose the show to another network. Events have proven that A&E needs the Robertsons far more than the Robertsons need A&E.

There is no persecution!
Yes there is. All of the things that kid mentioned are examples of persecution.

Reading the responses I can see why a Gay person would feel threatened. The homophobia caused by the uneducated/ignorant/douche BAG posters, whom are the largest viewers of the Duck Fucks is sad.

It worked, didn't it?
I think the network is safe; they have a contract for whatever the term is. And Phil himself said in the interview he can't see the show going more than a few years.

If that was the motivation they were idiots. They are, and will be, lucky if they don't lose the show to another network. Events have proven that A&E needs the Robertsons far more than the Robertsons need A&E.
That was my impression as well.

I'm guessing that they're already shopping for a new network, to either (1) buy them out of their present contract or (2) to pick them up, the second the present one expires.

I, too, believe that they inflicted far more harm upon themselves than they did good, and that this is just what it looks like... A&E stupidly overreacting in fear of the Gay Lobby and getting their teeth kicked-in on public opinion by mainstream America, then back-pedaling as best they could when it became clear that America was not on its side in the matter.

Forum List

Back