A lot of Atheist and agnostics just don't get it

You absolutely have taken it out of context. There’s no question about that.

I agree there is no question, just that I have not taken it out of context. I keep getting reminded of that great line from the Wizard of Oz. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."
And yet your conclusion is diametrically opposed to how the Jews of Biblical days saw God.

David leaped and danced before the Ark. Leaped and danced.

I think I said this before. I do not accept a thing just because others accept it.
I’m not asking you to. I’m not trying to convince you. I’m countering your position because it is illogical to conclude that God is not good from reading the religious texts of a people who believed God was immensely good.

No, it isn't.
100% wrong. You are reading these accounts with a desired outcome. How do you reconcile all the passages where the ancient Jews saw God as good and loving? You can’t.

The admonition is clear: Undisciplined sexual behavior of any kind is often a portent to the downfall of a community or society, whether one wants to look at it as cause or symptom.

When has this ever amounted to a hill of beans? Even if sex would be the the great dividing line, among other issues like greed, pride, bearing false witness against another, how many men and women have saved themselves sexually in anticipation of their marriage ceremony?

Were YOU a virgin when you came to your marriage ceremony?

In the story, did God or did God not command Abraham to sacrifice his son?
In the story, did God command Abraham to not touch the boy and to take him down? What was the purpose of the story, the lesson being taught?

Yes. You think that makes it alright?
How is it wrong?

God commanded Abraham to kill his son, whom I assume he loved as any father would. How is that not wrong?

In the story, did God command Abraham to not touch the boy and to take him down? What was the purpose of the story, the lesson being taught?

How is it wrong?

God commanded Abraham to kill his son, whom I assume he loved as any father would. How is that not wrong?
He also commanded him not to kill his son.

It was a test. We are all being tested.

I agree there is no question, just that I have not taken it out of context. I keep getting reminded of that great line from the Wizard of Oz. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."
And yet your conclusion is diametrically opposed to how the Jews of Biblical days saw God.

I think I said this before. I do not accept a thing just because others accept it.
I’m not asking you to. I’m not trying to convince you. I’m countering your position because it is illogical to conclude that God is not good from reading the religious texts of a people who believed God was immensely good.

No, it isn't.
100% wrong. You are reading these accounts with a desired outcome. How do you reconcile all the passages where the ancient Jews saw God as good and loving? You can’t.

Ok. I am going to say this one last time. If you can't understand it then there is little point in continuing. I DO NOT ACCEPT A THING JUST BECAUSE OTHERS ACCEPT IT.

A more important question is did it really happen. Did God literally command Abraham to kill his son and then stop him from doing it.

How is it wrong?

And you think that makes it right?

No, it isn't.

Ok. I am going to say this one last time. If you can't understand it then there is little point in continuing. I DO NOT ACCEPT A THING JUST BECAUSE OTHERS ACCEPT IT.
I don’t accept anything just because someone said it. I test everything.

You are testing nothing which is just as wrong as blindly accepting everything.

How is it wrong?

I think it makes it a lesson.

All of us are being pruned by life whether we like it or not.

Some people can’t see the good in existence because all they can see is the bad.

How is it wrong?

Some people can’t see the good in existence because all they can see is the bad.

So when (in my earlier example) I held a gun to the head of a child, that would have been alright if I was just trying to teach the mother a life lesson.

A more important question is did it really happen. Did God literally command Abraham to kill his son and then stop him from doing it.

Ok. Did he?
I don’t believe he did in the manner some believe he did. I believe it is an allegorical account which teaches us to trust in God that everything will work itself out.

No, it isn't.

Fine. Then I won't use the argument that all those other folks thought so. Do me the same courtesy.

How is it wrong?

So when (in my earlier example) I held a gun to the head of a child, that would have been alright if I was just trying to teach the mother a life lesson.
What lesson were you teaching her exactly?

Ok. Did he?
I don’t believe he did in the manner some believe he did. I believe it is an allegorical account which teaches us to trust in God that everything will work itself out.

Then the stories are just stories.

The lesson in the story is that Isaac, and all his descendants who followed God, no long had to worry about being bound and offered as sacrifices. God set them all free. In order to be set free, the setting of being bound has to be drawn. Isaac was born into a society that was convinced God commanded child sacrifice, to a father who had absolute trust and faith in God and His ways. Abraham was so convinced that all would turn out well, he told his servants they would return after worshiping God.

I understand that some believe God could have--or should have--done it differently. However, it has been shown the way God did do it has had great effect down through the ages of teaching great faith--and forbidding child sacrifice. So, please...read beyond the first few sentences! There is so much more to the story.

No, it isn't.

Fine. Then I won't use the argument that all those other folks thought so. Do me the same courtesy.
There is nothing wrong with accepting knowledge on the authority of others as long as some effort is made to test the knowledge being shared.

I don’t really see you testing your beliefs. I see you confirming your biases.

That she needs to brush her teeth everyday. An important health lesson. Do you think what the lesson was is really an important factor in that scenario?

Ok. Did he?

Then the stories are just stories.
No. Allegorical accounts of actual history such as the Tower of Babel with parables to pass down wisdoms and observations.

Your problem is that you read them as if they were fairytales. So everything you see is skewed to that.

That she needs to brush her teeth everyday. An important health lesson. Do you think what the lesson was is really an important factor in that scenario?
I think it is a piss poor analogy.

Forum List

Back