A Math Question For The Masses

BTW, a baseball diamond happens to be a square, but it is possible to have four sides of equal length, be a diamond, but NOT a square.
But when the problem says it is 90 feet square, does it mean that the area is 90 square feet or that each side is 90 feet?

It means it is either 90 feet on a side OR a total of 90 feet for the four sides in total (22.5x4)

Y'all have fun now. I think I'm going to see if I can find a road sign to argue with.

Remember when you got a math problem wrong because of improper units? Yes, well...

...no such term as feet square.

Why would I square that number? I'd do that if you gave me a side, but you already gave me the area.
Is that why you think the teacher is wrong? Did they say 210 square feet?
What you are missing is that we were NOT given the area. The wording was "210 feet square," NOT "210 square feet" NOR "210 feet squared."
X feet square means a square with a side of X feet.

The wording was "210 feet square,"

Yes, an area 210 square feet.
Wrong...you're reversing the word order. It did not say area and it did not say "square feet." The phrase was "feet square."

X feet square means a square with a side of X feet

If it said side in the question, I would agree. It didn't.
It doesn't have to say side, because that's what it means....."feet square" refers to the length of the side of a square.

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
And for a real world example: Pastscape - Detailed Result: EYE PRIORY "The claustral buildings were arranged to the north, the cloister being 90 feet square." I don't think a cloister that is 9.5' by 9.5' makes any sense. Prison cells are larger than 90 square feet.

It doesn't have to say side, because that's what it means....."feet square" refers to the length of the side of a square.

You think it refers to side length, I think it refers to area.

You might want to read it again.

So, what did the teacher claim?

One says square feet and the other feet square, there is no difference.
Yes, there is.

Look up the definition of square feet and feet square then...

Read and learn.

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

Again, this person is interpreting the question. Feet square does not have a definition. Square feet does. Feet square can reference the perimeter or a side.

The perimeter of a 210' square would be 840' since a square by definition has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles. It would have an area of 44,100 square feet.

So the lesson learned is, say a square has a 210 foot perimeter, a square has 210 square feet or a square has sides of 210 feet.

Yes, there is.

Look up the definition of square feet and feet square then...
I did...and gave two examples supporting my point. Here's a third example: 217baseball
The problem given is that a baseball diamond is 90 ft square, and the accompanying diagram shows the first baseline as 90 ft long.

It was a trick question, there is no definition of feet square.

I've shown 3 examples of its use.

Yep, and still not a definition of square feet and feet square. Feet square has no definition and is open to interpretation.
square: definition of square in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
2.1 [postpositive] Denoting the length of each side of a square shape or object: ‘the office was fifteen feet square’

the definition of square
(of an area) equal to a square of a specified length on a side:
five miles square.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

The question is: How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

If the area is 210 feet squared, it contains 210 square feet.

Is that how you were taught how to square a number? I was always taught you multiply the number by itself, like 210 X 210, not 210 X 1 which is what you did.

Why would I square that number? I'd do that if you gave me a side, but you already gave me the area.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right? You are describing a rectangle that would be 210' by 1', not a 210' square.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

Yes. And if the question mentioned side or length, you'd have a point.

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

This is the question that was asked.

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

If the area is 210 feet squared, it contains 210 square feet.

Is that how you were taught how to square a number? I was always taught you multiply the number by itself, like 210 X 210, not 210 X 1 which is what you did.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right? You are describing a rectangle that would be 210' by 1', not a 210' square.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.
Some acres are round.

BTW, a baseball diamond happens to be a square, but it is possible to have four sides of equal length, be a diamond, but NOT a square.

Orientation of the observer he's not looking perpendicular to a side.

No, a baseball diamond happens to be square. You can have four equal sides and a diamond, but not square. In that case the corner angles are not 90 degrees.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Forum List

Back