A Math Question For The Masses

Is that how you were taught how to square a number? I was always taught you multiply the number by itself, like 210 X 210, not 210 X 1 which is what you did.

Why would I square that number? I'd do that if you gave me a side, but you already gave me the area.
Is that why you think the teacher is wrong? Did they say 210 square feet?

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right? You are describing a rectangle that would be 210' by 1', not a 210' square.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

Yes. And if the question mentioned side or length, you'd have a point.

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

So, what did the teacher claim?

This is the question that was asked.

The question is: How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.

...with SIDES of approximately 210 feet per side.

Why would I square that number? I'd do that if you gave me a side, but you already gave me the area.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right? You are describing a rectangle that would be 210' by 1', not a 210' square.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

Some acres are round.

Yes, you could have a round 43560 square feet.

So the lesson learned is, say a square has a 210 foot perimeter, a square has 210 square feet or a square has sides of 210 feet.

It's redundant to define all the sides of a square since all sides are equal.
Not if its only said once.....sides of 210 feet.

A whole acre, how many housing units with parking can you get on a single acre? An acre is about 210 feet square. Sounds like pork to placate the NEA to me.

With Market Rates Unaffordable, Oakland Turns To Building Teacher-Only Affordable Housing | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

As you see, he didn't mention side in his original post.

So the lesson learned is, say a square has a 210 foot perimeter, a square has 210 square feet or a square has sides of 210 feet.

A whole acre, how many housing units with parking can you get on a single acre? An acre is about 210 feet square. Sounds like pork to placate the NEA to me.

With Market Rates Unaffordable, Oakland Turns To Building Teacher-Only Affordable Housing | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Where I grew up, that would be 4 typical suburban houses.
They could build a decent sized multi-unit building and house a bunch of teachers.

Is that how you were taught how to square a number? I was always taught you multiply the number by itself, like 210 X 210, not 210 X 1 which is what you did.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

I have two kids that are teachers, one lives in an apartment and the other splits a house with two other people.

Where I grew up, that would be 4 typical suburban houses.
They could build a decent sized multi-unit building and house a bunch of teachers.
And the parking could be a bicycle rack.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Care to show your work?

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong.

So you fixed your confusing claim from the other thread. Good for you!

Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused.

As you see here, when you write in an unclear manner, people can be confused about your meaning.
Be more clear next time.

Good: An acre is a square with sides of 208.71 feet.
Better: An acre is 43,560 square feet. May or may not be a square.

When I went to work in manufacturing many years ago, I learned that a tenth is not 0.1 like I though it was. It is 0.0001. When a machinist says a tenth, he means a tenth of a thousandth (of an inch).

Last edited:
BTW, a baseball diamond happens to be a square, but it is possible to have four sides of equal length, be a diamond, but NOT a square.

Orientation of the observer he's not looking perpendicular to a side.

No, a baseball diamond happens to be square. You can have four equal sides and a diamond, but not square. In that case the corner angles are not 90 degrees.

Well it seems you are finally grasping the concept, so now what would the area be of that 90 foot square.

Forum List

Back