A Math Question For The Masses

When I went to work in manufacturing many years ago, I learned that a tenth is not 0.1 like I though it was. It is 0.001. When a machinist says a tenth, he means a tenth of a thousandth (of an inch).

Then you would need to add another zero after the decimal point for it to read one ten thousandths.

BTW, a baseball diamond happens to be a square, but it is possible to have four sides of equal length, be a diamond, but NOT a square.

Orientation of the observer he's not looking perpendicular to a side.

No, a baseball diamond happens to be square. You can have four equal sides and a diamond, but not square. In that case the corner angles are not 90 degrees.

Well it seems you are finally grasping the concept, so now what would the area be of that 90 foot square.
For you it would be 8100 ft^2. However, someone else may call a square with a parameter of 90 feet a 90 foot square.

When I went to work in manufacturing many years ago, I learned that a tenth is not 0.1 like I though it was. It is 0.001. When a machinist says a tenth, he means a tenth of a thousandth (of an inch).

Then you would need to add another zero after the decimal point for it to read one ten thousandths.
Thank you. I need to fix that.

Last edited:
When I went to work in manufacturing many years ago, I learned that a tenth is not 0.1 like I though it was. It is 0.0001. When a machinist says a tenth, he means a tenth of a thousandth (of an inch).

I did a lot of math in my time. Up to Calc. 3. I never had it told as feet Square..............It has always been Square Feet.

It is an Oxymoron to me unless I see the origins of feet square as I do not remember ever seeing it in those terms.

Can someone prove that Feet Square is actually a proven math term other than Dr. Math?

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right? You are describing a rectangle that would be 210' by 1', not a 210' square.

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

Yes. And if the question mentioned side or length, you'd have a point.

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

So, what did the teacher claim?

This is the question that was asked.

The question is: How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong.

So you fixed your confusing claim from the other thread. Good for you!

Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused.

As you see here, when you write in an unclear manner, people can be confused about your meaning.
Be more clear next time.

Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square. In my original post in the other thread I specified I was talking about the approximate area of an acre being 210 feet square, if that confuses you, you need to go back to school, hell rightwinger even got it right and he's the master of misinterpretation.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Care to show your work?
By your statement.

You SAID AN AREA was 210 ft sq. You told us the AREA was 210 ft sq.

If AN AREA WAS 210 ft sq, then the AREA CONTAINS 210 sq ft....one and the same....

The word AREA has meaning in mathematics, LOOK it up!!!! I'm on my Kindle and have not mastered how to copy n paste yet.... but I will try....if not, then please look up the definition of AREA in mathematics.

Last edited:
This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

Okay, my two math teachers were just here. They interpret it to mean 210 sides, although they did say the language allowed for it to mean perimeter.

What is the area of a square that is 210ft X 210 ft. Redundancy is preferred to confusion.

If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Care to show your work?
By your statement.

You SAID the AREA was 210 ft sq. You told us the AREA was 210 ft sq.

If the AREA WAS 210 ft sq, then the AREA CONTAINS 210 sq ft....one and the same....

The word AREA has meaning in mathematics, LOOK it up!!!! I'm on my Kindle and have not mastered how to copy n paste yet.... but I will try....if not, then please look up the definition of AREA in mathematics.

Maybe you should look up the definition of a square and note the difference between that and square units. Only one unit needs to be defined in a square because all sides are the same, doesn't matter if it's a one foot square or a thousand foot square, each side would equal the dimension specified.

My question was, how many square feet would be contained in an area 210 feet square? I did not say the area was 210 sq ft.

if you note in the link you only put in one dimension to calculate the area of a square.

Area of a square. Definition and formula - Math Open Reference

Anybody up for cubic feet of a cone?
cms_0173a.jpg

You do know that a square has four equal sides and contains four ninety degree angles, right?

Yes. And if the question mentioned side or length, you'd have a point.

You'll notice it did say area. How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

If it said How many square feet are contained in a length 210 feet square, or, How many square feet are contained in a 210 foot side square?

So, what did the teacher claim?

This is the question that was asked.

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong.

So you fixed your confusing claim from the other thread. Good for you!

Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused.

As you see here, when you write in an unclear manner, people can be confused about your meaning.
Be more clear next time.

Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square. In my original post in the other thread I specified I was talking about the approximate area of an acre being 210 feet square, if that confuses you, you need to go back to school, hell rightwinger even got it right and he's the master of misinterpretation.

Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square.

You could have left off the "d" at the end of squared.

Next time, describe a side.

If you asked:
HOW MANY SQUARE FEET ARE CONTAINED IN an area of A SQUARE WITH A 210 foot side? Then that is another question entirely.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back