A Math Question For The Masses

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused.
Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square. In my original post in the other thread I specified I was talking about the approximate area of an acre being 210 feet square, if that confuses you, you need to go back to school, hell rightwinger even got it right and he's the master of misinterpretation.

You used area, mentioned a square and acre. Since I know an acre is roughly 210 feet ON A SIDE, your reply makes sense. You gave enough information to complete the picture. Simply saying 210 feet square and asking me the area is not enough information to guarantee the same result.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

The question is: How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Care to show your work?
By your statement.

You SAID the AREA was 210 ft sq. You told us the AREA was 210 ft sq.

If the AREA WAS 210 ft sq, then the AREA CONTAINS 210 sq ft....one and the same....

The word AREA has meaning in mathematics, LOOK it up!!!! I'm on my Kindle and have not mastered how to copy n paste yet.... but I will try....if not, then please look up the definition of AREA in mathematics.

Maybe you should look up the definition of a square and note the difference between that and square units. Only one unit needs to be defined in a square because all sides are the same, doesn't matter if it's a one foot square or a thousand foot square, each side would equal the dimension specified.

My question was, how many square feet would be contained in an area 210 feet square? I did not say the area was 210 sq ft.

if you note in the link you only put in one dimension to calculate the area of a square.

Area of a square. Definition and formula - Math Open Reference

My question was, how many square feet would be contained in an area 210 feet square?

You said square feet and area. You never said side or length.

This relates to a discussion in another thread. I would like you to answer the question and give a brief description of your math background.

The question is: How many square feet are contained in an area 210 feet square?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
If the area is 210 ft sq, then there are 210 sq feet in it.

Care to show your work?
By your statement.

You SAID the AREA was 210 ft sq. You told us the AREA was 210 ft sq.

If the AREA WAS 210 ft sq, then the AREA CONTAINS 210 sq ft....one and the same....

The word AREA has meaning in mathematics, LOOK it up!!!! I'm on my Kindle and have not mastered how to copy n paste yet.... but I will try....if not, then please look up the definition of AREA in mathematics.

Maybe you should look up the definition of a square and note the difference between that and square units. Only one unit needs to be defined in a square because all sides are the same, doesn't matter if it's a one foot square or a thousand foot square, each side would equal the dimension specified.

My question was, how many square feet would be contained in an area 210 feet square? I did not say the area was 210 sq ft.

if you note in the link you only put in one dimension to calculate the area of a square.

But since the width and height are by definition the same, the formula is usually written as
area = s2
where s is the length of one side.

Even your link uses width, height and side.

I reject the term feet square until proven a legitimate math term.

Area of a Square
From Latin: area - "level ground, an open space,"
The number of square units it takes to completely fill a square.
Formula: Width × Height
Try this Drag the orange dots to move and resize the square. As the size of the square changes, the area is recalculated.

Area formula
The area of a square is given by the formula
area = width × height
But since the width and height are by definition the same, the formula is usually written as
area = s2

In strictly correct mathematical wording the formula above should be spoken as "s raised to the power of 2", meaning s is multiplied by itself. But we usually say it as "s squared". This wording actually comes from the square. The length of a line s multiplied by itself, creates the square of side s. Hence "s squared".

This is the question that was asked.

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

An acre is about 210 feet square.

It was your confusing sentence.

An acre is 43560 square feet.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong.

So you fixed your confusing claim from the other thread. Good for you!

Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused.

As you see here, when you write in an unclear manner, people can be confused about your meaning.
Be more clear next time.

Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square. In my original post in the other thread I specified I was talking about the approximate area of an acre being 210 feet square, if that confuses you, you need to go back to school, hell rightwinger even got it right and he's the master of misinterpretation.

Tell me, what is confusing about an AREA 210 feet square.

You could have left off the "d" at the end of squared.

Next time, describe a side.
What is foot squared (square foot)? - Definition from WhatIs.com

The foot squared, also called the square foot, is the standard unit of area in the English foot-pound-second (fps) system. The symbol for foot or feet squared is ft2. Less formally, square foot or feet is sometimes abbreviated sq ft.

Area of a Square
Try this Drag the orange dots to move and resize the square. As the size of the square changes, the area is recalculated.

Area formula
area = width × height
area = s2

In strictly correct mathematical wording the formula above should be spoken as "s raised to the power of 2", meaning s is multiplied by itself. But we usually say it as "s squared". This wording actually comes from the square. The length of a line s multiplied by itself, creates the square of side s. Hence "s squared".

I understand how to calculate the area of a square. I reject the term foot square as a legitimate term. Had you stated foot SQUARED...with the D as Todd already stated there would be no argument.

Well it seems you are finally grasping the concept, so now what would the area be of that 90 foot square.

A. 8100 square feet
B. 506.25 square feet

You really need to give the length of a side.

I did, and in a square all sides are equal.

You keep missing that 90 feet could be a perimeter measurement. Using the word side makes all the difference instead of implying it.

I have never had any one need the information you think should have been provided, when you talk about the size of a square you only need one number.

Last edited:
This is the question that was asked.

It asks for the square footage of an area 201 feet square, why are you having such a problem grasping the concept?

That's exactly how I described an acre when this "teacher" told me I was wrong. Also I'm sorry you and evidently he are so easily confused. BTW an acre would be 208.71 feet square if you want to be exact.

As you see here, when you write in an unclear manner, people can be confused about your meaning.
Be more clear next time.

I did, and where did I use squared, except in my second response to irosie.

Well it seems you are finally grasping the concept, so now what would the area be of that 90 foot square.

A. 8100 square feet
B. 506.25 square feet

You keep missing that 90 feet could be a perimeter measurement. Using the word side makes all the difference instead of implying it.

I have never had any need the information you think should have been provided, when you talk about the size of a square you only need one number.

Really? What does 9 mean to you squarewise?

What is the area of a square that is 210ft X 210 ft. Redundancy is preferred to confusion.

I'm understanding more every day how inadequate our education system is, not only can people not read, simple math seems to escape them also. I was an army recruiter for a bit over 5 years back in the 80's and teachers historically scored very low on military tests, now I'm seeing the product those people turned out. Sad, really sad.

A. 8100 square feet
B. 506.25 square feet

I have never had any need the information you think should have been provided, when you talk about the size of a square you only need one number.

when you talk about the size of a square you only need one number.

If you had included height, side or length with that one number, there would have been no confusion.

Be more clear next time.

I did,

Nope.

A whole acre, how many housing units with parking can you get on a single acre? An acre is about 210 feet square. Sounds like pork to placate the NEA to me.

See, no mention of side, length or height in your original post.

A. 8100 square feet
B. 506.25 square feet

If you had included height, side or length with that one number, there would have been no confusion.

Like your dear leader would say, I gave you the credit of being an adult that knew the definition of a square, I'm sorry I didn't realize your capacity was so much less than I thought.

What is the area of a square that is 210ft X 210 ft. Redundancy is preferred to confusion.

I'm understanding more every day how inadequate our education system is, not only can people not read, simple math seems to escape them also. I was an army recruiter for a bit over 5 years back in the 80's and teachers historically scored very low on military tests, now I'm seeing the product those people turned out. Sad, really sad.

You created ambiguity, further you failed to realize that issue and then refused to acknowledge better choices when presented to you. That my friend is termed ignorance.

A. 8100 square feet
B. 506.25 square feet

Like your dear leader would say, I gave you the credit of being an adult that knew the definition of a square, I'm sorry I didn't realize your capacity was so much less than I thought.

And I thought you could write like an adult.
The fact that your confusing post is still causing confusion should end your whining.
I see it hasn't. Carry on.

Be more clear next time.

I did,

Nope.

A whole acre, how many housing units with parking can you get on a single acre? An acre is about 210 feet square. Sounds like pork to placate the NEA to me.

See, no mention of side, length or height in your original post.

A square has no length, that is a linear unit, a side has a length, which I specified. Have you ever done any woodwork, what would you do if I asked you to cut a piece of plywood 1 foot square? I guarantee any carpenter would cut you a 1' X 1' square piece after checking the plywood corner for square.

Area of a Square

Area formula
area = width × height
area = s2

I understand how to calculate the area of a square. I reject the term foot square as a legitimate term. Had you stated foot SQUARED...with the D as Todd already stated there would be no argument.

If you know any construction worker ask them about the term, they will know exactly what it means.

Forum List

Back