A Stupid Concept Regarding Animals..

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
Who's bright idea was it that.... It is illegal to keep/domesticate native wildlife species; but you can import forien species and keep them as pets with little to no oversight in most cases? That's just a recipie for displacing native species with invasive species. I'm really curious about how this came to be accepted, and standard practice...

Well... We constantly see all these vids posted on social media of people befriending wildlife. Raccoons, possums, deer, foxes, and on, and on... And as always people point out in the comments that it is against the law to do so. And they are correct. But why is that the law? Who got to make that decision, and how does that decision serve the environment, or the public for that matter?

For instance my buddy wants to get a raven, or crow and teach it to talk. Simple enough. But no. Not without all kinds of crazy licensing. But he can import some African crow ordered online with no fanfare whatsoever. That just sounds stupid to me that you can import potentially invasive species with less oversight, than just catching a common crow, and making a pet of it. Same goes for foxes. You can buy an African Desert Fox in the pet store. Catch a fox from the wild, and tame it you can go to jail? Who came up with this racket?

I gotta' be honest, man. I'm almost 58 years old and have been in a lot of pet stores, and I've never seen an African Desert Fox for sale. I think you may actually be referring to a Fennec fox, which is something else I've also never seen in a pet store.

Now, with that said, owning a Fennec fox isn't illegal, provided you purchase it from a licensed and approved breeder. That means you're not buying one caught in a African desert. You're buying one that was born in New Jersey. It's not being "imported" from anywhere. Not all states allow ownership and, even if they do, local ordinances may preclude it.

And tell your buddy he's got a better chance of having a baby than he does teaching a raven to talk...

I gotta' be honest, man. I'm almost 58 years old and have been in a lot of pet stores, and I've never seen an African Desert Fox for sale. I think you may actually be referring to a Fennec fox, which is something else I've also never seen in a pet store.

Now, with that said, owning a Fennec fox isn't illegal, provided you purchase it from a licensed and approved breeder. That means you're not buying one caught in a African desert. You're buying one that was born in New Jersey. It's not being "imported" from anywhere. Not all states allow ownership and, even if they do, local ordinances may preclude it.

And tell your buddy he's got a better chance of having a baby than he does teaching a raven to talk...
Good info. And locale probably plays a part in what your pet shops may offer. And yes Fennec I do believe was the name of the fox. As for ravens talking...

They can...

Good info. And locale probably plays a part in what your pet shops may offer. And yes Fennec I do believe was the name of the fox. As for ravens talking...

They can...

Well... damn...

But its the same idea with things like fish. You can import all kinds of exotics that can easily turn invasive but thats fine... But throw a largemouth bass in your living room fish tank, and suddenly you're John Dillinger. Who came up with this shit? And how does it serve us the public?

Forum List

Back