A trip to look at art

If you want to be simplistic the statues of racist generalsc were on public display. David is housed in a gallery. You dont have to go and see it.

Nobody objects to a racism gallery with statues of racist heroes.
It is not a fair point. Using that logic, the teacher was wrong when took the children to see the statue without their parents' consent.

It is not a fair point. Using that logic, the teacher was wrong when took the children to see the statue without their parents' consent.
S.he showed them the picture in a text book covering the course that they had chosen. How would you cover renaissance art ?

S.he showed them the picture in a text book covering the course that they had chosen. How would you cover renaissance art ?
Don't get me wrong. I am not from 'blame the teacher crowd'. Your previous reasoning was flawed, that is all.

Don't get me wrong. I am not from 'blame the teacher crowd'. Your previous reasoning was flawed, that is all.
It wasnt really. The kids opted to be there. The black man whose grandparents were slaves had no option but to walk past a statue of a slavery fanboy every day.

If you want to be simplistic the statues of racist generalsc were on public display. David is housed in a gallery. You dont have to go and see it.

Nobody objects to a racism gallery with statues of racist heroes.
Then you would never object to statues of Byrd, Biden, and Clinton as long as they're in a gallery?

It wasnt really. The kids opted to be there. The black man whose grandparents were slaves had no option but to walk past a statue of a slavery fanboy every day.
The kids, maybe. As long as I can understand, the main point was without the parents' consent.

The kids, maybe. As long as I can understand, the main point was without the parents' consent.
What sort of stuff did the parents think that their kids would be looking at in this art class ?
White horses charging across a moonlight beach maybe ?

What sort of stuff did the parents think that their kids would be looking at in this art class ?
White horses charging across a moonlight beach maybe ?
That is another question. This case brings up more wider issue that is called 'obscenity'. What should be included in this term? How pieces of art should be viewed in this regard and what constitutes a piece of art.

For example, can this statue be placed in a public square? Or similar statue of less known author?

That is another question. This case brings up more wider issue that is called 'obscenity'. What should be included in this term? How pieces of art should be viewed in this regard and what constitutes a piece of art.

For example, can this statue be placed in a public square? Or similar statue of less known author?

Do you think the David or the Pieta are obscene? Have you been to Italy?

I suspect that it is too valuable to display in a public square.

Time tends to decide what art is. Mozart is art. Shakespeare is art, so is Jane Austen.

They have all created something that mere ,mortals can only aspire to.

Things we might see as art today might not stand the test of time.. The Pompidou centre might not make it nor the Gherkin in london but Notre Dame will, as will Versailles.

I suspect that it is too valuable to display in a public square.

Time tends to decide what art is. Mozart is art. Shakespeare is art, so is Jane Austen.

They have all created something that mere ,mortals can only aspire to.

Things we might see as art today might not stand the test of time.. The Pompidou centre might not make it nor the Gherkin in london but Notre Dame will, as will Versailles.
Okay, a copy of this statue can be placed in a public square?

Forum List

Back