A Walk Down Memory Lane

When I lived in Seattle, about 10-12 years ago, you could still do this. There is a dairy farm that delivers to your home. You get a silver box for the porch, and they deliver milk, eggs, butter, cheese, yogurt, and even chocolate chip cookie dough. You have to order a minimum of 1/2 gallon of milk a week. You pay once a month. I think they probably still do this. It isn't cheap, but it isn't that much more than at the store.

you can still get it where i live now in NY. same thing, it is not cheap. but there are also quite a few stores that offer delivered that day from the farm dairy products. it helps that there are a lot of dairy farms in the area

Is it pasteurized? didn't think they could sell in store unpasteurized milk,we got ours right from the cow,had to shake it up every time you got some the cream would settle on top,the farm wa in the southern tier of NY not nearly as many farms as there were ,but still alot around.

The sale of unpasteurized milk varies from one state to the next. Up here, you can drink raw milk from your own animals so "shares" are popular.

milk being delivered to a silver box on your porch along with butter and eggs. the honor system at the gas station on sundays. they were closed but the pump was open. you left your money in the cigar box on top of the pump.

When I lived in Seattle, about 10-12 years ago, you could still do this. There is a dairy farm that delivers to your home. You get a silver box for the porch, and they deliver milk, eggs, butter, cheese, yogurt, and even chocolate chip cookie dough. You have to order a minimum of 1/2 gallon of milk a week. You pay once a month. I think they probably still do this. It isn't cheap, but it isn't that much more than at the store.

It may no doubt be better than store-bought.

Oh definitely, it is the highest quality milk, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. And the best chocolate chip cookie dough too! :eusa_angel:

Cigarettes were a quarter and Mom would send me to the store to buy her a pack...when I was 10.
No ID required.

Do you remember cigarette candy? You'd buy a little 'pack' of candies that looked like cigarette. Those went out in the 60's when cigarette warnings began.

you can still get it where i live now in NY. same thing, it is not cheap. but there are also quite a few stores that offer delivered that day from the farm dairy products. it helps that there are a lot of dairy farms in the area

Is it pasteurized? didn't think they could sell in store unpasteurized milk,we got ours right from the cow,had to shake it up every time you got some the cream would settle on top,the farm wa in the southern tier of NY not nearly as many farms as there were ,but still alot around.

you can get either. in NY you can sell unpasteurized milk but have to have a permit to do so. there are an ever growing number who can

you can get either. in NY you can sell unpasteurized milk but have to have a permit to do so. there are an ever growing number who can

I sure wish they'd permit us to sell milk like that. Would you rather buy from some huge grocery chain that basically "imports" food from the cheapest source, or would you rather buy your food from the people who raised it themselves, and put on their own table to feed their families?

I sure wish they'd permit us to sell milk like that. Would you rather buy from some huge grocery chain that basically "imports" food from the cheapest source, or would you rather buy your food from the people who raised it themselves, and put on their own table to feed their families?

especially since most of the dairies who are licensed to sell unpasteurized are also organic. it's kind of a return to the cottage industries that were prevelant 50 years ago. you have a lot of farms that are even gaining support from the larger supermarket chains now who feature sections dedicated to local grown and local organic producers. that helps make it affordable as well as healthy and as well as supporting local communities and industries. you benefit the growers, the laborers, the transportation. its a win

especially since most of the dairies who are licensed to sell unpasteurized are also organic. it's kind of a return to the cottage industries that were prevelant 50 years ago. you have a lot of farms that are even gaining support from the larger supermarket chains now who feature sections dedicated to local grown and local organic producers. that helps make it affordable as well as healthy and as well as supporting local communities and industries. you benefit the growers, the laborers, the transportation. its a win

We have farmer's markets all over, all summer. Meat is a little more regulated, but lots of people here will butcher their own. Dairy is still over-regulated and under represented. At least we can sell "shares", although it's kind of a hassle trying to explain how that all works to someone who just wants to buy a gallon of milk each week, and get some cheese. I'd like to see government back off when it comes to food choices. When you look closely at the origins of recent food-borne illnesses, it's not the small producer who's responsible, it's the big producers.

10 cents to post a letter, 10 cents to make a phone call, 10 cent Coca Cola, 10 cent hot dogs and phones you had to dial...

Last edited:
10 cents to post a letter, 10 cents to make a phone call, 10 cent Coca Cola, 10 cent hot dogs and phones you had to dial...

I remember 8 cent postage, we weren't allowed to drink pop, except for special occasions, and the phone lines had to be shared with your neighbors.
How about those trucks they used to drive around the neighborhood belching out diesel fumes in order to kill mosquitoes?

I remember 8 cent postage, we weren't allowed to drink pop, except for special occasions, and the phone lines had to be shared with your neighbors.
How about those trucks they used to drive around the neighborhood belching out diesel fumes in order to kill mosquitoes?

I recall the fruit fly spraying over Los Angeles.

I remember weekends when we'd go pick blackberries on the roadsides, and mother would make a blackberry pie when we got home. :)

My wife and daughters have been doing that every season for the past 11 years but also to come up to date, frozen blackberries make excellent smoothies..:tongue:

My parents raised 4 kids on a very limited income, with both of them working. We couldn't afford to buy school lunches, so if we did, it was a VERY special occasion. We took baloney sandwiches to school most days. There was no ordering out for chicken or pizza, and going out to eat as a family meant one of those buffet, all you can eat places. My mother had a reportoire of dishes like pizza made from a package, spaghetti, beans and franks, etc., and that was dinner everynight: fried chicken on Sunday. The WHOLE family sat down to dinner everynight, unless either mom or dad was working the night shift.

I remember when the first MacDonald's was built in my neighborhood. That was when I was in high school in the mid-late 60's. And the first shopping mall too. Both were right next to my high school. I was a mall rat long before the term was coined.

Last edited:
I remember weekends when we'd go pick blackberries on the roadsides, and mother would make a blackberry pie when we got home. :)

My dad used to take us to the river to swim on hot summer weekends. He also took us out to a local farm to buy fresh milk (pasturized) by the gallon.

My dad was a registered Republican, and my mom was a registered Democrat. They still voted every election, canceling each other out, because as an American, you took seriously your right to vote. There was never any arguing about politics in my house: in those days there was not the extreme partisanship you see today.

Last edited:

My parents raised 4 kids on a very limited income, with both of them working. We couldn't afford to buy school lunches, so if we did, it was a VERY special occasion. We took baloney sandwiches to school most days. There was no ordering out for chicken or pizza, and going out to eat as a family meant one of those buffet, all you can eat places. My mother had a reportoire of dishes like pizza made from a package, spaghetti, beans and franks, etc., and that was dinner everynight: fried chicken on Sunday. The WHOLE family sat down to dinner everynight, unless either mom or dad was working the night shift.

I remember when the first MacDonald's was built in my neighborhood. That was when I was in high school in the mid-late 60's. And the first shopping mall too. Both were right next to my high school. I was a mall rat long before the term was coined.

My parents raised eight of us on two incomes. Well, my Dad worked part-time when he wasn't deployed. Mom stayed home and raised the kids until my baby sister was out of diapers and then we older kids babysat. And, like your family, we took our lunches with us, eating out was a really big deal. Sit down meals every night until some of us got old enough to work. Being oldest, I was responsible for a lot, marshaling my siblings, cooking meals, making sure chores got done, things like that. After my parents bought a place in the country, we had to tend the garden and animals.

Another neighborhood child and I went to Blakey's Drug Store on the corner a couple of blocks up from the house and bought "sips." These were small waxen straws filled with colorful sweet sirupy waters that you sipped, then chewed on the parafin to get the last bit of sweetness, then spit it out in the trash can. It was a big deal. :)

i remember we used to walk back in the woods and pick blackberries. We would then sell them to a local farm that had a roadside stand. funny think about those blackberries. they grew in these nicely lined rows all evenly spaced :eusa_whistle:

Blackberries have some worthy antioxidants. They're in bloom along my fences already. Life is good if we have intermittent rains here. :)

Forum List

Back