ACLU calls illegal aliens "aspiring citizens"

novasteve

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
Bellevue
"North Carolina should not be making it harder for aspiring citizens to integrate and contribute to our communities by branding them with a second-class driver's license," said ACLU attorney Raul Pinto. "There is simply no reason for officials to stigmatize people who are in the U.S. legally with an unnecessary marker that could lead to harassment, confusion, and racial profiling."

Read more: Proposed design of NC illegal immigrant licenses sparks concern | Fox News

Funny how if I snuck into a european country they only wouldn't give me a license, nor would they let me work, they'd also deport me. But they aren't bigots.

"North Carolina should not be making it harder for aspiring citizens to integrate and contribute to our communities by branding them with a second-class driver's license," said ACLU attorney Raul Pinto. "There is simply no reason for officials to stigmatize people who are in the U.S. legally with an unnecessary marker that could lead to harassment, confusion, and racial profiling."

Read more: Proposed design of NC illegal immigrant licenses sparks concern | Fox News

Funny how if I snuck into a european country they only wouldn't give me a license, nor would they let me work, they'd also deport me. But they aren't bigots.

Aspiring citizens should not start out as felons. All felons should be bared from entering this country or becoming citizens.

Aspiring citizens should not start out as felons. All felons should be bared from entering this country or becoming citizens.

Technically I don't think illegally entering is a felony, though it should be. Funny you can't even enter canada if you have a DUI conviction, but in the US we'll let people illegally and give them handouts.

Hell... If they are here illegally they shouldn't be getting a Driver's license at all anyway.

What they should be getting is deported.

I can understand the concern, I'd think having it in bright pink like that is a little much. Why not include it as a code on the license? That way it's easy for law enforcement to read but less noticeable for your average Walmart checkout.

"Aspiring Citizens" sounds so much better than "Undocumented Workers".
Progressives and liberals (redundancy alert) just don't want to admit that "Illegal Alien" is the proper term for people that enter this country illegally.

"Aspiring Citizens" sounds so much better than "Undocumented Workers".
Progressives and liberals (redundancy alert) just don't want to admit that "Illegal Alien" is the proper term for people that enter this country illegally.

Liberalism operates by denying reality. It's kind of like how they think a "woman" can have a penis.

I can understand the concern, I'd think having it in bright pink like that is a little much. Why not include it as a code on the license? That way it's easy for law enforcement to read but less noticeable for your average Walmart checkout.

Everyone should know that they are here illegally.. From the hotel clerk, to the cop, to the guy checking ID's at the strip joint.

They have already proven they are willing to break our laws and they need to be watched.

If a walmart cashier says something, they'll get fired. Walmart wants to make money.

I've never been asked for an ID at a WalMart checkout.

Everyone should know that they are here illegally.. From the hotel clerk, to the cop, to the guy checking ID's at the strip joint.

They have already proven they are willing to break our laws and they need to be watched.

Did you read the article? Or just the title?

This license is to DACA recipients. As much as you might disagree with the program, that doesn't change the legal status granted through it.

Besides, even if this were for any illegal who wanted one, why would you be ok with risking the life of a human being? Being illegal doesn't mean their life is worth less than yours or mine.

Have you ever written a check?

Have you ever written a check?

People still use checks?
Heck, we should deport them just for that. :razz:

Give them a chance. If they fail, then they fail citizenship and out they go. Put them behind the legals though, not in front imo.

I don't go to walmart, but at target I've had my ID scanned for alcohol purchases and medication purchases. Over the counter medications not even involving pseudoephedrine.

This license is to DACA recipients. As much as you might disagree with the program, that doesn't change the legal status granted through it.

Besides, even if this were for any illegal who wanted one, why would you be ok with risking the life of a human being? Being illegal doesn't mean their life is worth less than yours or mine.

So why is no other country as lenient with illegal aliens as we are?

Yes, I read the article.

And I don't give a flip about it being Obama's EO Program that didn't pass through Congress.

They shouldn't be given a DL simply because they are here illegally. They should be deported on sight.

Since some bleeding heart is going to allow them to get a DL, then it should be a different colour, readily identifiable with the words "Illegal Alien" in big bold letters across it, both front and back.

That way there is no way an employer can claim they didn't know they were here illegally and ineligible for employment.

It would also help Landlords and Rental Management companies to identify those that should not be rented to.

I don't go to walmart, but at target I've had my ID scanned for alcohol purchases and medication purchases. Over the counter medications not even involving pseudoephedrine.

The article is about North Carolina. You can't buy alcohol at a WalMart (or Target) in NC. Welcome to the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission

Forum List

Back