Advanced Calculus: The John Kasich Math & Saving the GOP Brand.

The notion that Republicans would refuse to vote for Kasich in November is absurd. On the other hand, there are definitely Republicans who would be hesitant to vote for Cruz, while the majority of Republicans outright refuse to vote for Trump. That, on top of the overwhelming majority of independents who would refuse to vote for either Cruz or Trump.

Trump voters don't seem to think so. A full 1 in 3 have indicated that they wouldn't vote Republican if Trump isn't nominated. And if Trump goes third party, giving his nominee voters a chance to become his candidacy voters....that number would most likely rise.

You're ordinarily a pretty lucid poster. But on this one issue you're ignoring enormous amounts of data that contradict what you want to believe.

Oh shut the fuck up already. We've already been through this a million times. You're just pushing your propaganda because you want Trump to be nominated so that it guarantees a Clinton victory in November. It's nothing but hope and wet dreams with you.

And by 'propaganda' you mean what is reported in the news?

Trump has the most votes of any Republican- and the GOP establishment is terrified of him- will they rig the convention to deny him the nomination- 2016 is the real life "House of Cards" happening right in front of our faces.

Cruz has the second most votes- and there is little doubt he is eligible- but is he electable? Cruz's birth in Canada is not a barrier to eligibility but certainly voters can vote against a candidate born in Canada......or against his hard core evangelical ideological agenda.

And then we come to Kasich- the rational GOP choice- who has managed to win only his home state- GOP voters have essentially ignored him

I think that the only thing standing in the way of a Clinton victory this year is Clinton- she has the potential of tanking her bid- but with Trump/Cruz/Kasich going into the convention- I don't see anyone emerging from that convention unscathed or in a position to win the general election.

House of Cards folks- House of Cards.
It seems unlikely voters would vote against Cruz simply because he was born a US citizen in Canada and lived there till he was 4 years old. Most people are not so stupid as to believe this would make you unfit to serve as president.

Actually I think for those who are voting for Trump it would matter a great deal. Trump a couple months ago couldn't stop mentioning it because it appeals to a base that is in large part anti-immigrant.

How does Kasich expect to win a contested convention with no organization putting loyal delegates in place for ballots after the first one?

I don't expect it to happen but I can see how it could- the GOP establishment despises Cruz and Trump equally- they could steer delegates to Kasich hoping that Kasich would appeal to the now more mythical mainstream Republican.

How does Kasich expect to win a contested convention with no organization putting loyal delegates in place for ballots after the first one?

I don't expect it to happen but I can see how it could- the GOP establishment despises Cruz and Trump equally- they could steer delegates to Kasich hoping that Kasich would appeal to the now more mythical mainstream Republican.

Problem with that theory is Cruz is actively going and getting loyal supporters in as delegates regardless of who they are pledged to in the first ballot.

Problem with that theory is Cruz is actively going and getting loyal supporters in as delegates regardless of who they are pledged to in the first ballot.

Well we shall see how it turns out.

I will be bringing the popcorn- you bring the drinks- it will be entertaining.

The notion that Republicans would refuse to vote for Kasich in November is absurd. On the other hand, there are definitely Republicans who would be hesitant to vote for Cruz, while the majority of Republicans outright refuse to vote for Trump. That, on top of the overwhelming majority of independents who would refuse to vote for either Cruz or Trump.

Trump voters don't seem to think so. A full 1 in 3 have indicated that they wouldn't vote Republican if Trump isn't nominated. And if Trump goes third party, giving his nominee voters a chance to become his candidacy voters....that number would most likely rise.

You're ordinarily a pretty lucid poster. But on this one issue you're ignoring enormous amounts of data that contradict what you want to believe.

Oh shut the fuck up already. We've already been through this a million times. You're just pushing your propaganda because you want Trump to be nominated so that it guarantees a Clinton victory in November. It's nothing but hope and wet dreams with you.

Trump has the most votes of any Republican- and the GOP establishment is terrified of him- will they rig the convention to deny him the nomination- 2016 is the real life "House of Cards" happening right in front of our faces.

Cruz has the second most votes- and there is little doubt he is eligible- but is he electable? Cruz's birth in Canada is not a barrier to eligibility but certainly voters can vote against a candidate born in Canada......or against his hard core evangelical ideological agenda.

And then we come to Kasich- the rational GOP choice- who has managed to win only his home state- GOP voters have essentially ignored him

I think that the only thing standing in the way of a Clinton victory this year is Clinton- she has the potential of tanking her bid- but with Trump/Cruz/Kasich going into the convention- I don't see anyone emerging from that convention unscathed or in a position to win the general election.

The idea that the party will rig the convention against Trump originated with Trump. He apparently didn't understand that voters don't choose the nominee, delegates do and this is nothing new. Many states allow for uncommitted delegates. Also, some states allow the party heads to choose the delegates which is what happened in Colorado.

Trump's ignorance is truly amazing.

Oh, Trump gets how the convention works. He's just trying to frame it for his supporters. After the first vote, its genuinely an open bid. As the delegates are no longer obligated to vote for anyone in particular.

But by framing it as a 'rig' or a 'cheat', he's far more likely to convince his supporters to believe it.....and walk away or support him in a third party run. Which he (and polling) has made quite clear to the RNC leadership. Its a deterrant against a brokered convention.....a M.A.D. defense.

Its quite calculated. And unlike our local math deniers, the RNC recognizes the reality of the threat.
Well, I'm sure he knows now how conventions work which is why he started lobbying delegates a few weeks ago, something he should have been doing months ago.

Since Donald Trump started his campaign he's spent about 30 million which is about half what Cruz has spent. Trump has few advisers. Most of his speeches are unscripted. The lack of professional advisers explains why most of his plans and proposals are half baked. His plans for extorted money from Mexico to pay for his wall by seizing funds from illegal immigrants wiring money home were just nuts. He must have written it himself.

He proposed changing the the wrong regulations. Proposed a plan that would keep foreign corporations and foreign individuals from transferring money form their accounts in US banks without returning to the US. In addition he ignored the fact that family members and friends would be able to make fund transfers.
This is what you expect from someone who has no idea how government or the the political system works. It should come as no surprise that he doesn't understand the process of selecting a nominee.
. .

Last edited:

The idea that the party will rig the convention against Trump originated with Trump. He apparently didn't understand that voters don't choose the nominee, delegates do and this is nothing new. Many states allow for uncommitted delegates. Also, some states allow the party heads to choose the delegates which is what happened in Colorado.

Trump's ignorance is truly amazing.

Oh, Trump gets how the convention works. He's just trying to frame it for his supporters. After the first vote, its genuinely an open bid. As the delegates are no longer obligated to vote for anyone in particular.

But by framing it as a 'rig' or a 'cheat', he's far more likely to convince his supporters to believe it.....and walk away or support him in a third party run. Which he (and polling) has made quite clear to the RNC leadership. Its a deterrant against a brokered convention.....a M.A.D. defense.

Its quite calculated. And unlike our local math deniers, the RNC recognizes the reality of the threat.
Well, I'm sure he knows now how conventions work which is why he started lobbying delegates a few weeks ago, something he should have been doing months ago.

Since Donald Trump started his campaign he's spent about 30 million which is about half what Cruz has spent. Trump has few advisers. Most of his speeches are unscripted. The lack of professional advisers explains why most of his plans and proposals are half baked. His plans for extorted money from Mexico to pay for his wall by seizing funds from illegal immigrants wiring money home were just nuts. He must have written it himself.

And he's kicking Cruz's ass. Again, with half the spending and a fraction of the organization.

Trump knows his audience, as the results demonstrate. That *you* or I disagree with his ideas is irrelevant. He's offering rhetoric for a different group: a plurality of republican primary voters. And its working.

Trumps problem will be the general electorate and the GOP establishment. Not the GOP primary voters.

When I was 15, my older sister invited all her cheerleader girlfriends over for a slumber party. Technically, none of them were my girlfriend.

:gives:

I was drawing a comparison.

You want Trump to molest the delegates in their sleep if they don't vote for him?

Let's just agree that our brains are on different channels.

You're right. Mine is on the sanity channel.

When I was 15, my older sister invited all her cheerleader girlfriends over for a slumber party. Technically, none of them were my girlfriend.

You want Trump to molest the delegates in their sleep if they don't vote for him?
The Colorado GOP decided last year to do away with their primary , opting to choose their delegates on a district-by-district process and at a state convention. There is nothing unfair about this process. Several states do the same thing. Trump lost in Colorado because he choose to campaign in New York. Cruz choose Colorado. So Cruz wins big in Colorado and Trump will win big in New York.

Trump is behaving a bit unhinged of late. His tantrum about Colorado is just one of the things he's ranting-paranioa about..

Let's just agree that our brains are on different channels.

Percy- can you please avoid using statements like " Let's agree our brains are on different channels"? There is no place for that type of civil discourse on this forum.

We should keep it inflammatory and protest violently from the left so that we can get as many people to oppose us by casting a vote for Trump, to disrupt the GOP vote and hand Fall's victory to Hillary! A tried and true formula. And, sabotage of the conservative ticket.

No one is voting for Kasich now. What makes you think that those who wouldn't vote for him up to now would vote for him in the general election?
Because Kasich has gotten the raw end of the deal on exposure on Fox News where conservatives get all their "cues" from... But the anti-Trump vote is still 2/3 of conservatives and so, with Cruz's Canadian citizenship disqualifying him (publicly), the anti-Trump vote would go to Kasich. Pretty simple math. Cruz is the establishment-favorite, like McCain, falsely billed as "an outsider". He was the second pick to the boy Rubio. The establishment doesn't want Kasich which will bring over Tiny Hand's voters when the GOP lowers the hammer on him.
Kasich a conservative...
John-Kasich-on-the-issues.jpg

:haha:

Forum List

Back