After What Happened Today.Are We Thinking/Saying; "Well, So Much For Gun Control".

a perfect example that Guns Don't Kill People,,,,People Kill People.

People kill people with implements. How many mass murders are committed by an unarmed killer?

How many would the Boston Bomber have killed had s/he had a large capacity automatic rifle with speed loading capacity yesterday? What if two or more worked together? With all of the armed LEOs on scene, no doubt such a madman would have been put down, but at what cost?

Firearms are not a panacea for violent crime; in fact very little can be done as long as we continue to allow the NRA to frame the argument.

I do not own guns to kill people with. Most people who own guns will never even point one at another person. So who here is really the paranoid nut?

I hope you won't ever shoot people with all your guns. But it's not a good sign that you have so many, and how do you know what you'll do when you get senile? A LOT of the gun nuts who go off are elderly.

I don't own more guns than I need. So I'm not the paranoid nut. The paranoid nut is the guy who collects vast numbers of guns and then finally decides he'll just do what he's been fantasizing doing all these years, while he sits alone in his apartment with several glasses of rye whiskey looking at the Weather Channel.

Guns are not a good substitute for a life. They tend to cause a lot of people's deaths.

You have no idea how many guns I have.

If you want to know I'll tell you.

I have 3 Semiauto rifles of varying caliber. A .22, a .223 and a .68

I have 2 shotguns. A 12 gauge pump and a 12 gauge trap gun

I have several hand guns, a .45, a .30, and a .22

All of them are kept in a fingerprint keyed gun safe when i am not using them.

Each gun has a specific use just like any other tool and none of those uses are the deliberate killing of another.

You have legitimate uses for three semiautomatic rifles? How about telling us what they are?

If you have a legitimate reason ( some kind of rural pest control, you live in Afghanistan, etc. ) you have nothing to fear from me . If I had my way, you will be issued permits after you have demonstrated the need, registered the weapons and purchased insurance.

Simple.

I hope you won't ever shoot people with all your guns. But it's not a good sign that you have so many, and how do you know what you'll do when you get senile? A LOT of the gun nuts who go off are elderly.

I don't own more guns than I need. So I'm not the paranoid nut. The paranoid nut is the guy who collects vast numbers of guns and then finally decides he'll just do what he's been fantasizing doing all these years, while he sits alone in his apartment with several glasses of rye whiskey looking at the Weather Channel.

Guns are not a good substitute for a life. They tend to cause a lot of people's deaths.

Each gun has a specific use just like any other tool and none of those uses are the deliberate killing of another.

You have legitimate uses for three semiautomatic rifles? How about telling us what they are?

If you have a legitimate reason ( some kind of rural pest control, you live in Afghanistan, etc. ) you have nothing to fear from me . If I had my way, you will be issued permits after you have demonstrated the need, registered the weapons and purchased insurance.

Simple.

he doesnt need a reason

if he lived in afganistan

he would have a select fire rifle

except maybe the 45

the firearms described are not military firearms

Simple.

he doesnt need a reason

except maybe the 45

They are deadly weapons. Assuming the owner is sober and sane and law abiding I have no problems with his ownership of such firearms. However, I would support a law which prevented him from providing any of these weapons to anyone else, and if he did I would support a law taking away his guns and his liberty (putting his ass in prison) and a lifetime on parole once released.

If he chose to rid himself of one or more of his weapons, he could surrender them to his local LE agency or sell them to a licensed gun dealer. Any other method should be unlawful and eliminate him as sane, sober and law abiding citizen.

They are deadly weapons. Assuming the owner is sober and sane and law abiding I have no problems with his ownership of such firearms.

Doesn't work for me. And why?

Because ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the shooters since before Columbine have been apparently sober, sane, and law abiding and had NO RECORDS and no official psychiatric history.

They were sober, sane, and law abiding right up to the MINUTE they mowed down lots of small children and mall shoppers and movie-goers and firefighters.

People: gun nuts go off. They just do. Suddenly.

It's a big national problem. You know that.

Be assured, if this turns out to be Islamic extremist terrorism,

all the same people around here who complain about people blaming all gun owners for gun violence will be at the front of the line to blame all of Islam for these bombings.

You need your guns more than ever. Boston proves that the government cant protect you even with all that security. The drones will be at every major public event.

They are deadly weapons. Assuming the owner is sober and sane and law abiding I have no problems with his ownership of such firearms.

Because ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the shooters since before Columbine have been apparently sober, sane, and law abiding and had NO RECORDS and no official psychiatric history.

They were sober, sane, and law abiding right up to the MINUTE they mowed down lots of small children and mall shoppers and movie-goers and firefighters.

Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia perps all had mental health issues observed by family and acquaintances; are you referencing the Texas Tower killer, son of sam, SoCal McDonalds, Oklahoma City or others?

I'm not suggesting the sane, sober and law abiding construction is a panacea, in a free and democratic society there are limits on what government should do.

I'm also not suggesting we become a nation of snitches, wherein family or acquaintances should be turned in to LE on a whim. I do believe all of us need to be vigilant and follow our instincts when someone in our family, a friend or acquaintance, suddenly or over time withdraws or has personality changes which concern us. Listen to them, express your concern and try to steer them into seeking medical examinations and counseling.

A good background investigation will uncover red flags which lead the investigator to ask more questions and seek additional data. I know that's not possible as a rule for gun purchase background checks, but it is very effective tool when one is employed recruiting, hiring and eliminating candidates for LE careers.

Last edited:

Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia perps all had mental health issues observed by family and acquaintances; are you referencing the Texas Tower killer, son of sam, SoCal McDonalds, Oklahoma City or others?

I'm not suggesting the sane, sober and law abiding construction is a panacea, in a free and democratic society there are limits on what government should do.

I'm also not suggesting we become a nation of snitches, wherein family or acquaintances should be turned in to LE on a whim. I do believe all of us need to be vigilant and follow our instincts when someone in our family, a friend or acquaintance, suddenly or over time withdraws or has personality changes which concern us. Listen to them, express your concern and try to steer them into seeking medical examinations and counseling.

A good background investigation will uncover red flags which lead the investigator to ask more questions and seek additional data. I know that's not possible as a rule for gun purchase background checks, but it is very effective tool when one is employed recruiting, hiring and eliminating candidates for LE careers.

Thoughtful posts, Wry Catcher, and I'm not denying that the FAMILY of some of these insane shooters noticed big changes, probably the onset of schizophrenia in most cases.

However, in no case did their condition effectively trigger any law-enforcement response or official gun control sanction. Adam Lanza was in a (very slow, apparently!) process of being considered for commitment: I imagine Connecticut is sitting very tightly on the info about how the state dragged its feet about putting him away. And the psychologist treating James Holmes DID apparently notify the police that he was thinking about/planning killing lots of people; they did nothing.

And I could go on and on, I know these cases pretty well. They were mentally ill, but the family hid it or the school didn't report it or the police did nothing or the crazy successfully hid his impairment, as with Harris and Klebold. They all got their guns, they all went shooting and killed lots of people.

What's to be done about these crazies who go shooting and nothing can stop them? It really is a terrible problem.

Thoughtful posts, Wry Catcher, and I'm not denying that the FAMILY of some of these insane shooters noticed big changes, probably the onset of schizophrenia in most cases.

However, in no case did their condition effectively trigger any law-enforcement response or official gun control sanction. Adam Lanza was in a (very slow, apparently!) process of being considered for commitment: I imagine Connecticut is sitting very tightly on the info about how the state dragged its feet about putting him away. And the psychologist treating James Holmes DID apparently notify the police that he was thinking about/planning killing lots of people; they did nothing.

And I could go on and on, I know these cases pretty well. They were mentally ill, but the family hid it or the school didn't report it or the police did nothing or the crazy successfully hid his impairment, as with Harris and Klebold. They all got their guns, they all went shooting and killed lots of people.

What's to be done about these crazies who go shooting and nothing can stop them? It really is a terrible problem.

I think it's a societal problem; we still equate mental illness as a moral lapse (for lack of a better description) and we generally hide psychological problems (family secrets) out of fear -by both the afflicted and their family and friends - for a myriad of reasons.

Solutions, while not easy nor a 'cure' begin by educating the public; it begins by educating our children at age appropriate times on topics as diverse as mental illnesses, human sexuality, health and lifestyle choices - issues taboo or thought to be too expensive or superfluous too often.

What do you care?

The .22 was my father's gun. i keep it as a memento. (He was killed in a useless war when I was 2)

The .223 was a gift from my uncle for graduation.

I bought the 6.8 for hunting I keep it even though I rarely hunt anymore.

The 12 gauge pump is my preferred home defense weapon. The 12 gauge trap gun is for skeet.

Simple.

All my weapons are legal and I have my concealed carry permit for my pistols. And you have no right to tell me what I need unless of course you will let me tell you what you need.

Simple.

he doesnt need a reason

except maybe the 45

They are deadly weapons. Assuming the owner is sober and sane and law abiding I have no problems with his ownership of such firearms. However, I would support a law which prevented him from providing any of these weapons to anyone else, and if he did I would support a law taking away his guns and his liberty (putting his ass in prison) and a lifetime on parole once released.

You do realize that most gun owners don't just give their guns to people to use don't you?

If he chose to rid himself of one or more of his weapons, he could surrender them to his local LE agency or sell them to a licensed gun dealer. Any other method should be unlawful and eliminate him as sane, sober and law abiding citizen.

If I chose to get rid of any gun I would sell it on consignment through a gun dealer I would not give it to the fucking cops for free.

OK we should just treat everyone, including you, as a psycho killer.

All my weapons are legal and I have my concealed carry permit for my pistols.

These concealed carry guys make me very nervous. Why is someone packing heat, you know?

I always assume he's involved with crime, probably the drug trade.

It's gun collectors on steroids, basically. They are ready to shoot the rest of us ANYtime, anywhere.

Not good. Very worrying.

Okay. Whatever it takes to get rid of assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.

All my weapons are legal and I have my concealed carry permit for my pistols.

These concealed carry guys make me very nervous. Why is someone packing heat, you know?

I always assume he's involved with crime, probably the drug trade.

It's gun collectors on steroids, basically. They are ready to shoot the rest of us ANYtime, anywhere.

Not good. Very worrying.

I carry when I am making night bank deposits and that's usually the only time I do.

Why, because the cops won't be there to stop some fucker from robbing me that's why.

And in CT concealed carry means just that. There can be no visible sign of a weapon on your person so you wouldn't know if I was carrying or not.

Okay. Whatever it takes to get rid of assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.

All right then we'll force you to go on anti psychotics and subject you to random searches after all you're dangerous you know.

Maybe we should force all new mothers to take anti psychotics because a few women have killed their kids in fits of depression. Better yet we'll just take their kids away and make them prove that they are sane enough to care for them.

I carry when I am making night bank deposits and that's usually the only time I do.

Why, because the cops won't be there to stop some fucker from robbing me that's why.

And in CT concealed carry means just that. There can be no visible sign of a weapon on your person so you wouldn't know if I was carrying or not.

Okay, SK, that's not a problem for me.

Excuse me if I am giving you grief, because you are not one of the people here "too stupid to be civil," as I'm always saying. You are unfailingly civil, which is remarkable given the heat of this topic. [:)

Forum List

Back