🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Al Bores Movie Bombs at Box Office

Mr.Conley said:
My dad has a house in the French Quarter. We're just one block off of Bourbon, so I've invited a couple of college friends down for a week or two. It's a great way to blow off some steam after a year in of school. The French Quarter is back like nothing happened, and the Uptown and Garden Districts are seeing people return. The middle class areas got a lot of flooding, but people are moving in to rebuild. Hopefully the Corp will keep its promise and build levees that can hold a Catagory 3 storm like the last ones should have.

That's Preservation Hall,. The House of Blues is also really great. Then their are a bunch of restaurants around the Quarter. Galotoises, Arnaud's, Anthony. Central has reopened and I think is doing well. Most importantly, the tourists are coming back. I think the city's going to recover, and will probably be better off, and I admit it's inpart because all the gangs went to Houston and Baton Rouge.

Lucky you,huh? All your gangs and welfare cases are elsewhere and you want elsewhere to be so happy that they repair your town for you?

Mr.Conley said:
My dad has a house in the French Quarter. We're just one block off of Bourbon, so I've invited a couple of college friends down for a week or two. It's a great way to blow off some steam after a year in of school. The French Quarter is back like nothing happened, and the Uptown and Garden Districts are seeing people return. The middle class areas got a lot of flooding, but people are moving in to rebuild. Hopefully the Corp will keep its promise and build levees that can hold a Catagory 3 storm like the last ones should have.

That's Preservation Hall,. The House of Blues is also really great. Then their are a bunch of restaurants around the Quarter. Galotoises, Arnaud's, Anthony. Central has reopened and I think is doing well. Most importantly, the tourists are coming back. I think the city's going to recover, and will probably be better off, and I admit it's inpart because all the gangs went to Houston and Baton Rouge.

I liked the Caesar Salad at Court of Two Sisters....best I ever had. Loved walking around the Garden District, too. Had to go see the places Ann Rice wrote about ;)

Glad it's coming back. I was talking to someone the other day who just graduated from Law School down there and he said it's still pretty sad, but getting better.

dilloduck said:
Lucky you,huh? All your gangs and welfare cases are elsewhere and you want elsewhere to be so happy that they repair your town for you?
I'm sorry that they are other people's problems now, but I'm not going to lie. I'm really enjoy being able to go around without really being worried about getting mugged. I was held up in front of my Mom's house in the Garden District in broad daylight three times. Now that probably isn't going to happen again. Crime is/was a huge issue in New Orleans and although it looks like a lot of the criminals are coming back here (and therefore are not your problem anymore), the city has been able to rebuild. Hopefully from now on the levees will hold for a Catagory 3 hurricane like the Corp said the last ones would, but obviously didn't.

Also for the record, I think the Corp owes it to NO to rebuild. When Katrina hit the city, the storm had fallen to a Catagory 3. The corp said that the levees could handle a Catagory 3. Obviously that didn't happen. Had the hurricane been a Catagory 4 or 5, or had the water levels topped the levees, the city would have understood, after all, the Corp said how much the levees could handle. The problem is that Katrina reached NO as a Catagory 3, something the levees should have been able to handle according to the core, and the water didn't top the levees; the levees broke. If it hadn't been for that, then I could understand not rebuilding the levees, but the Corp let us down. The levees didn't work as advertised. If the Corp had done a good job, then maybe the city could be abandoned. The Corp failed though, and I feel that they owe the city, one of America's most important cultural landmarks, the decency to do the job right this time.

Abbey Normal said:
Here's an inconvenient truth for you libs:

This just in: Al's little movie added 45 theaters this weekend (from 77 to 122), yet it dropped from 9th place to 11th place. It's theater count went up over 50%, but it's take went up only 8.6%

:D

Poor Al. It's tough to maintain ticket sales when you move from the small, cherry-picked theaters where your leftie core lives, to a more mainstream environment.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Since someone complained that the latest figures did not include Sunday, here are the movie's 3-week numbers (including this weekend, with Sunday) from the same site:

Still dropped from 11th to 9th place.

Take: $1,504,701 Up 10.9% (though theater numbers increased over 50% to 122)

Average: $12,333

Total Gross: $3,983,071

jillian said:
I liked the Caesar Salad at Court of Two Sisters....best I ever had. Loved walking around the Garden District, too. Had to go see the places Ann Rice wrote about

Glad it's coming back. I was talking to someone the other day who just graduated from Law School down there and he said it's still pretty sad, but getting better.
Court of Two Sisters is good, but I think there are better places. The Garden District is beautiful though.

Did he go to Tulane? My dad is an professor there.

Mr.Conley said:
I'm sorry that they are other people's problems now, but I'm not going to lie. I'm really enjoy being able to go around without really being worried about getting mugged. I was held up in front of my Mom's house in the Garden District in broad daylight three times. Now that probably isn't going to happen again. Crime is/was a huge issue in New Orleans and although it looks like a lot of the criminals are coming back here (and therefore are not your problem anymore), the city has been able to rebuild. Hopefully from now on the levees will hold for a Catagory 3 hurricane like the Corp said the last ones would, but obviously didn't.

Also for the record, I think the Corp owes it to NO to rebuild. When Katrina hit the city, the storm had fallen to a Catagory 3. The corp said that the levees could handle a Catagory 3. Obviously that didn't happen. Had the hurricane been a Catagory 4 or 5, or had the water levels topped the levees, the city would have understood, after all, the Corp said how much the levees could handle. The problem is that Katrina reached NO as a Catagory 3, something the levees should have been able to handle according to the core, and the water didn't top the levees; the levees broke. If it hadn't been for that, then I could understand not rebuilding the levees, but the Corp let us down. The levees didn't work as advertised. If the Corp had done a good job, then maybe the city could be abandoned. The Corp failed though, and I feel that they owe the city, one of America's most important cultural landmarks, the decency to do the job right this time.

New Orleans is one of America's most important cultural landmarks? Take the blinders off dude. Most people think LA is about the most politically corrupt, backwards-assed state in the Union, and think most of NO is a slum.

GunnyL said:
New Orleans is one of America's most important cultural landmarks? Take the blinders off dude. Most people think LA is about the most politically corrupt, backwards-assed state in the Union, and think most of NO is a slum.
Maybe you and three other people don't consider New Orleans a cultural landmark.
1. Jazz
2. Creole and Cajun cooking
3. An incredible amount of art
4 The beginnings of Rock
The list goes on.
I'm not sure what your smoking, but it's messing with you

Mr.Conley said:
Okay asshole, lets get to work...

Oh - so it's "asshole". Whatsa matter, man - did I strike a nerve?

Mr.Conley said:
First off, what your describing is a freak accident at best. We don't have "voodoo musicians" traveling around town ritualistically murduring people.

I didn't say anything about "voodoo musicians". Stop trying to blur facts you find unpleasant. This man died a horrible death; he deserves better than to have disingenuous games played with his tragic story.

Mr.Conley said:
I should know, I was born and raised in New Orleans. There are some people who are voodoos in the city, but, unlike what we tell the tourists, they are an infinitely small group.

Sham Catholicism - with statues of saints and the Virgin Mary being used as code - is widespread voodoo practice in New Orleans. Where did you say you were born and raised?

Mr.Conley said:
What your describing is, at best, a singular circumstance.

I'll be sure to pass that on to my friend's grieving widow and fatherless child. I know they'll find it a great comfort.

Mr.Conley said:
Frankly, I think your friend is overblowing the voodoo thing.

The man was tortured, mutilated, and murdered according to voodoo ritual. How does one "overblow" that?

Mr.Conley said:
Well the silly little thing about Ohio is that if you were on the highways during 2004 for awhile, you could have been shot dead in your car by a crazy lone gunman.

Tell me about it - I was travelling on those roads during that time. But, they had the same thing in the nation's capitol. This goes more toward the general breakdown of society, though -

Mr.Conley said:
as musicman will attest, it's singular events like this one that speak of a places character.

-while voodoo ritual torture/murder has a decidedly "Nawlins" flavor to it.

Mr.Conley said:
Obviously Ohio is a strange place, and I for one hope that American taxpayers would move in and restore Ohio to its distinctive, murderous former glory were anything to happen to it.

Don't remember anyone in Ohio asking; no, check that - DEMANDING - and in a pretty damned good hurry, too.

Mr.Conley said:
Maybe it's because we watch each others backs in this nation, and fulfill the promises we keep.

What a crock of shit.

Mr.Conley said:
I think the city's going to recover, and will probably be better off, and I admit it's inpart because all the gangs went to Houston and Baton Rouge.

And I know that Houston and Baton Rouge send their undying gratitude.

Abbey Normal said:
Since someone complained that the latest figures did not include Sunday, here are the movie's 3-week numbers (including this weekend, with Sunday) from the same site:

Still dropped from 11th to 9th place.

Take: $1,504,701 Up 10.9% (though theater numbers increased over 50% to 122)

Average: $12,333

Total Gross: $3,983,071
Thanks for the numbers. :)

I'm not surpirsed. New natiowide releases like cars pushed Truth down. Any non-Gigli movie that opens up nationwide at 3,000+ theatres is going to beat a movie still in limited release hands down. Truth is never going to see number 1 at the box office (probably Nacho Libre).

I'm not surpirse by the gross either, as no1tovote4 pointed out by stating the obvious, limited release movies typically see unusually high gross per theatre numbers (although that 91,000 the first week was riddiculous) for the first few weeks. Since we're coming off of Memorial Day Weekend, a traditionally big weekend at the box office, we can expect the gross per theatre to fall a little more. You'll notice that movies at the box office aren't doing as well in general since May. This is normal. Truth will probably fall to the 9-11,000 dollar range next week for national release, that's in line with a few 10 million dollar gross. I'm expecting something along the lines of 20-35M for the opening weekend when it goes national. With a total production and advertising budget of about 10-15M it'll make money.

Mr.Conley said:
Maybe you and three other people don't consider New Orleans a cultural landmark.
1. Jazz
2. Creole and Cajun cooking
3. An incredible amount of art
4 The beginnings of Rock
The list goes on.
I'm not sure what your smoking, but it's messing with you

Methinks you are trying to take credit for more than you rate, and that you are on the inside trying to look in.

Mr.Conley said:

Gee Conley,

Seems that you just called one of the most respected members on this board an asshole for telling us a sad story about his friend(sorry to hear it MM) and you made it sound like Nawlins is just like anywhere else as far as murder and general crime. Within 10 posts you then admit to being mugged 3 times in broad daylight in front of your mammy's house. What is it, is N.O. one of the murder capitals of the world or not....should we google it to find out the real story? Being from Louisiana I know better. You can try to sugar coat it to try to get back naive tourist but I will warn the world that New Orleans is not the arm pit of the United States, it is the asshole. If your skin color is lighter than some Cafe-Au-Lait, no matter your nationality, stay away. The food is so overated as is the "jazz" and the place literally smell like black mold. If your car has out of state plates you are a target for the criminals as well as those highly ethical police(remember the "looters in blue").

Mr.Conley said:

Are you reading this America, we owe New Orleans residents for their stupidity. It doesn't take a climatologist to know that New Orleans has been living on borrowed time for decades. The Army Corp of Engineers have done an admiral job of trying to keep the impending doom from happening and we have heard nothing but whinning from people lacking the brains of beavers, at least they know better than to build their homes 30 feet below the sea that surrounds them. If we are to believe your hero Algore and his overpaid "scientist for hire", New Orleans is done, over, Atlantis without the beautiful babes, voyage to the bottom of the sea..... and we are suppose to keep spending tax dollars on this nasty swampy black hole of crime and corruption. You can't even bury your dead there, they put them in high rise crypts.

If you believe Algore, why haven't you moved?(see how I came full circle and brought Algore and his loser film into the post?) You will need us to dig that United States canal to the Pacific to get the dirt to build the levees tall enough.:blues: :salute:

sitarro said:
Gee Conley,

Seems that you just called one of the most respected members on this board an asshole for telling us a sad story about his friend(sorry to hear it MM) and you made it sound like Nawlins is just like anywhere else as far as murder and general crime. Within 10 posts you then admit to being mugged 3 times in broad daylight in front of your mammy's house. What is it, is N.O. one of the murder capitals of the world or not....should we google it to find out the real story? Being from Louisiana I know better. You can try to sugar coat it to try to get back naive tourist but I will warn the world that New Orleans is not the arm pit of the United States, it is the asshole. If your skin color is lighter than some Cafe-Au-Lait, no matter your nationality, stay away. The food is so overated as is the "jazz" and the place literally smell like black mold. If your car has out of state plates you are a target for the criminals as well as those highly ethical police(remember the "looters in blue").

Are you reading this America, we owe New Orleans residents for their stupidity. It doesn't take a climatologist to know that New Orleans has been living on borrowed time for decades. The Army Corp of Engineers have done an admiral job of trying to keep the impending doom from happening and we have heard nothing but whinning from people lacking the brains of beavers, at least they know better than to build their homes 30 feet below the sea that surrounds them. If we are to believe your hero Algore and his overpaid "scientist for hire", New Orleans is done, over, Atlantis without the beautiful babes, voyage to the bottom of the sea..... and we are suppose to keep spending tax dollars on this nasty swampy black hole of crime and corruption. You can't even bury your dead there, they put them in high rise crypts.

If you believe Algore, why haven't you moved?(see how I came full circle and brought Algore and his loser film into the post?) You will need us to dig that United States canal to the Pacific to get the dirt to build the levees tall enough.:blues: :salute:

Brains of beavers

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sitarro said:
Gee Conley,

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sitarro again.

Rather eloquently put.:mm:

musicman said:
Oh - so it's "asshole". Whatsa matter, man - did I strike a nerve?
Yea, as a matter of fact you did. Your trying to say that we should kick a 500,000 people, including my 94 year old grandmother, out or their homes because of your friend's death.
He died a tragic death, and I'm sorry for both him, his family, and his friends, but I'm not going to use it as an excuse to throw people out of their homes, I would not use a good friend's death to do that.

musicman said:
I didn't say anything about "voodoo musicians". Stop trying to blur facts you find unpleasant. This man died a horrible death; he deserves better than to have disingenuous games played with his tragic story.
Sorry, I was and am pissed, and read it too fast, but I will say that we don't have "gangs" of Voodoos running around killing people all the time in a ritualistic manner. We do have a lot of gangs killing each other, but this is in no way the typical occurance that you are trying to make it appear. The man did die a terrible death, but don't make it seem like this sort of thing is normal.
musicman said:
I'll be sure to pass that on to my friend's grieving widow and fatherless child. I know they'll find it a great comfort.
It's not meant for comfort, its meant to show you the truth.

musicman said:
The man was tortured, mutilated, and murdered according to voodoo ritual. How does one "overblow" that?
How? Because he was facing up when they left the body? It takes more than that to be a voodoo murder.
Here's how you "overblow" it. By forcing a half a million people to pick up all their belongings, loose all the values of their houses, and try to start an entire new life because one man was killed. And if what you say is true, how would destroying an entire city like you so want to stop these "Voodoo" murderers from stopping doing what they are doing, won't they just start again somewhere else?
musicman said:
Tell me about it - I was travelling on those roads during that time. But, they had the same thing in the nation's capitol. This goes more toward the general breakdown of society, though -
Yea, there are crazy people all over the country, that doesn't mean me abandon the cities, start farming our own lands, and shot anyone who comes near. There's a good side and a bad side to everyplace.
musicman said:
-while voodoo ritual torture/murder has a decidedly "Nawlins" flavor to it.
Yea, because people only commit crimes in the name of their religion here. Good luck defending that one.
musicman said:
Don't remember anyone in Ohio asking; no, check that - DEMANDING - and in a pretty damned good hurry, too.
If you're one to let a guy die on the street in front of you, then so be it. But most people would want some help to save him. The fact is, if NO is going to rebuild, they had to get conformation from the Federal government that it would build the 15 billion dollar levees to mark this time. Otherwise people weren't going to move in, and the city would continue to languish.
musicman said:
What a crock of shit.
That's essentially what the government does, individually, a lot of places in the US can't handle a big natural disaster, so we pool our resources in the Federal government, and if anyone needs help, the country works to save the place. New Orleans has been paying for taxes and offering troops to the Federal government for over 200 years, and now that we've asked for some help, we appreciate that it's coming.
musicman said:
And I know that Houston and Baton Rouge send their undying gratitude.
They're coming back anyway. What could have happened otherwise, 10 thousand people die?

If anything ever happens in Ohio, come to New Orleans, I'll have a room for you.

On a second note, I'm sorry about your friend's death. New Orleans has these sort of strange killings every year or two. His death is tragic, and I feel for the family. I just don't feel that that is a justification for robbing hundreds of thousands of people of their homes, and sending many of them into poverty.

Mr.Conley said:
Yea, as a matter of fact you did. Your trying to say that we should kick a 500,000 people, including my 94 year old grandmother, out or their homes because of your friend's death.
He died a tragic death, and I'm sorry for both him, his family, and his friends, but I'm not going to use it as an excuse to throw people out of their homes, I would not use a good friend's death to do that.

Sorry, I was and am pissed, and read it too fast, but I will say that we don't have "gangs" of Voodoos running around killing people all the time in a ritualistic manner. We do have a lot of gangs killing each other, but this is in no way the typical occurance that you are trying to make it appear. The man did die a terrible death, but don't make it seem like this sort of thing is normal.

How? Because he was facing up when they left the body? It takes more than that to be a voodoo murder.
Here's how you "overblow" it. By forcing a half a million people to pick up all their belongings, loose all the values of their houses, and try to start an entire new life because one man was killed. And if what you say is true, how would destroying an entire city like you so want to stop these "Voodoo" murderers from stopping doing what they are doing, won't they just start again somewhere else?

Yea, there are crazy people all over the country, that doesn't mean me abandon the cities, start farming our own lands, and shot anyone who comes near. There's a good side and a bad side to everyplace.

Yea, because people only commit crimes in the name of their religion here. Good luck defending that one.

If you're one to let a guy die on the street in front of you, then so be it. But most people would want some help to save him. The fact is, if NO is going to rebuild, they had to get conformation from the Federal government that it would build the 15 billion dollar levees to mark this time. Otherwise people weren't going to move in, and the city would continue to languish.

That's essentially what the government does, individually, a lot of places in the US can't handle a big natural disaster, so we pool our resources in the Federal government, and if anyone needs help, the country works to save the place. New Orleans has been paying for taxes and offering troops to the Federal government for over 200 years, and now that we've asked for some help, we appreciate that it's coming.

They're coming back anyway. What could have happened otherwise, 10 thousand people die?

If anything ever happens in Ohio, come to New Orleans, I'll have a room for you.

On a second note, I'm sorry about your friend's death. New Orleans has these sort of strange killings every year or two. His death is tragic, and I feel for the family. I just don't feel that that is a justification for robbing hundreds of thousands of people of their homes, and sending many of them into poverty.

Sending them into poverty ???????
Did y'all just pretend the 9th ward didn't exist before Katrina ?

Mr.Conley said:

Let's try a different tact then -- personal accountability. People who live on the coast, especially below sea level, shouldn't act shocked and want a bail out from the government because the ocean they live next to rises up and swats their asses.

sitarro said:
\Gee Conley,

No, that was aweful, but do you think its justiication for moving a half a million people from there homes? Cause it appears to me that you and GunnyL would love that

BTW, stop making stuff up. I've never said that NO had a low crimerate. I've said be don't have a couple dozen voodoo murders every week. If you can't respond, then don't make stuff up.

As for your skin color comment, you might be from LA, but your not from NO. You should't walk around the projects at night in NO, or anywhere else for that matter, but that doesn't make the whole city crappy.

Well, I guess we found one of the other three people who can't recognize an amazing culture when they see it. I don't really care though. Go have a good time at McDonalds.

Mr.Conley said:
Court of Two Sisters is good, but I think there are better places. The Garden District is beautiful though.

Did he go to Tulane? My dad is an professor there.

Oh...we had equal and better meals, but never a better caesar salad.

And yeah, the guy went to Tulane. Loved it.

Forum List

Back