Alabama becomes the first college to have 70 players in the NFL in one season.

Holy crap. Yeah, you won't have a better recruiting tool than THAT.

I'd guess he's great at teaching fundamentals, discipline, accountability. Cool stat.

And the number one recruiting class in 2022

The Tide rolls on

But I sense that its going to get tougher for Sabin as other big schools learn from his success

And the number one recruiting class in 2022

The Tide rolls on

But I sense that its going to get tougher for Sabin as other big schools learn from his success

There is definitely more parity now. And Saban's methods are knwon and copied.

But I think the Master will still pull off another title or two.

They have a lot of NFL players, but that list includes people who left the program and were developed elsewhere, like Tua. No need to pad the list

There is definitely more parity now. And Saban's methods are knwon and copied.

But I think the Master will still pull off another title or two.
Maybe

If he coaches at this level for 5 more years Alabama will certainly be in the mix for more championships

But the margin of error is much smaller now

They have a lot of NFL players, but that list includes people who left the program and were developed elsewhere, like Tua. No need to pad the list

Tua did not attend another university. Jalen Hurts attended another one for one year. But if a player plays at any schools for 3 years, and graduates from that school, they can be claimed as theirs. Any player who starts for 28 games is a Crimson Tide player for life.

Maybe

If he coaches at this level for 5 more years Alabama will certainly be in the mix for more championships

But the margin of error is much smaller now

Yes it is. But, historically, after having a "bad" year the Crimson Tide wins it all. Having not made the playoffs make them hungry. Having the #1 recruiting class makes them loaded.

Yes it is. But, historically, after having a "bad" year the Crimson Tide wins it all. Having not made the playoffs make them hungry. Having the #1 recruiting class makes them loaded.
The great recruiting class bodes well for the future but not so much for next year

I notice some of the coaches are being replaced

That and the portal might be the difference

The great recruiting class bodes well for the future but not so much for next year

I notice some of the coaches are being replaced

That and the portal might be the difference

Replacing OC and DC will be a plus. They can't get much worse than they were this year. And the quality of players being recruited make them viable as true freshmen.

Replacing OC and DC will be a plus. They can't get much worse than they were this year. And the quality of players being recruited make them viable as true freshmen.
Only when they are needed to plug holes

That suggests lack of depth

The portal is really hurting college football and I think that will include Alabama eventually

Only when they are needed to plug holes

That suggests lack of depth

The portal is really hurting college football and I think that will include Alabama eventually

It will and it won't. Every team has players who opt to enter the portal. And every team has the opportunity to gain from the portal.

I think Alabama will gain more than it loses. And yes, sometimes freshmen get the opportunity because of holes. And sometimes they just shine brighter. Jalen Hurts was an amazing QB. He won the starting job early in his freshman year. And then Tua came in during his freshman year and won us a Natty.

It will and it won't. Every team has players who opt to enter the portal. And every team has the opportunity to gain from the portal.

I think Alabama will gain more than it loses. And yes, sometimes freshmen get the opportunity because of holes. And sometimes they just shine brighter. Jalen Hurts was an amazing QB. He won the starting job early in his freshman year. And then Tua came in during his freshman year and won us a Natty.
In spite of Georgia winning back-to-back national titles - my prediction - Alabama is still the team to beat in most people’s eyes

But its not the only team that matters, and the portal is a loser for the sport overall in my opinion

Coach Saban has recruited the best and developed them to their potential.

Talk about a great recruiting tool. Let those who say the dynasty is over top this one.
Saban has always been a better recruiter than he’s ever been an actual coach. It’s why he ran from the NFL so quickly.

Saban has always been a better recruiter than he’s ever been an actual coach. It’s why he ran from the NFL so quickly.

His player have been said to be more ready to play in the NFL than players from most schools.

Also, he has adapted to changes in the way the game is played. And, although it is relatively rare for a head coach's call to completely change a game, Saban has done it twice with profoundly good outcome.

He wasn't suited for the prima dona pro players. But as a college football coach he is the best to ever do it.

His player have been said to be more ready to play in the NFL than players from most schools.

Also, he has adapted to changes in the way the game is played. And, although it is relatively rare for a head coach's call to completely change a game, Saban has done it twice with profoundly good outcome.

He wasn't suited for the prima dona pro players. But as a college football coach he is the best to ever do it.
Yeah because they start out that way. It’s like buying a Ferrari and acting like you‘re a master mechanic when you out run a Camaro.

Saban’s success has and is predicated on him recruiting the best players. He does that extremely well and Alabama also spends more money on player dev than anyone else in college football. Good on them. But let’s not act like they are taking a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and turning them into NFL 1st rounders. 7 of the last 10 years they have had the #1 recruiting class and only once were they out of the top 3.

Given they have more talent than anyone else in college football it should be seen as a failure any time they dont win the national title.

Saban couldnt deal with the “prima donnas” in the NFL because they weren’t beholden to him, like his players at the collegiate level. He also had to coach against teams that were as or more talented than his own. Didnt even take a year to run him off from that.

I know he’s your boy and Bama is your team. Take off the Crimson tinted glasses and see college football for what it is. A recruiting contest. That’s the game Saban wins.

Yeah because they start out that way. It’s like buying a Ferrari and acting like you‘re a master mechanic when you out run a Camaro.

Saban’s success has and is predicated on him recruiting the best players. He does that extremely well and Alabama also spends more money on player dev than anyone else in college football. Good on them. But let’s not act like they are taking a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and turning them into NFL 1st rounders. 7 of the last 10 years they have had the #1 recruiting class and only once were they out of the top 3.

Given they have more talent than anyone else in college football it should be seen as a failure any time they dont win the national title.

Saban couldnt deal with the “prima donnas” in the NFL because they weren’t beholden to him, like his players at the collegiate level. He also had to coach against teams that were as or more talented than his own. Didnt even take a year to run him off from that.

I know he’s your boy and Bama is your team. Take off the Crimson tinted glasses and see college football for what it is. A recruiting contest. That’s the game Saban wins.

It is more than recruiting. But recruiting is a key part of it.

Plenty of teams have 4 and 5 star players that they do not develop. Yes, I wear Crimson tinted glasses. They are stylish and my color. But I also see things for what they are.

If recruiting is the entirely of college football, why hasn't 70 players in the NFL been done before? USC hit the 60 player mark 30 years ago. No one has done anything like that since.

It is more than recruiting. But recruiting is a key part of it.

Plenty of teams have 4 and 5 star players that they do not develop. Yes, I wear Crimson tinted glasses. They are stylish and my color. But I also see things for what they are.

If recruiting is the entirely of college football, why hasn't 70 players in the NFL been done before? USC hit the 60 player mark 30 years ago. No one has done anything like that since.
What about Alabama being 1 in recruiting 7 of the last 10 years was confusing? The 3 years they weren’t they were 2,3 and 6. They should have the most they get the most talent by a significant margin. The other teams that get the top talent move up and down the rankings meaning that while some years they get a haul of recruits the other years they lag way behind those at the top. Alabama gets the most and best recruits year in and year out. The math on this is pretty simple. Saban is great at what matters most in college football, recruiting talent. It’s precisely why he was a terrible NFL coach. His greatest talent doesn’t translate to the pro game.

What about Alabama being 1 in recruiting 7 of the last 10 years was confusing? The 3 years they weren’t they were 2,3 and 6. They should have the most they get the most talent by a significant margin. The other teams that get the top talent move up and down the rankings meaning that while some years they get a haul of recruits the other years they lag way behind those at the top. Alabama gets the most and best recruits year in and year out. The math on this is pretty simple. Saban is great at what matters most in college football, recruiting talent. It’s precisely why he was a terrible NFL coach. His greatest talent doesn’t translate to the pro game.

If it is all about recruiting, why did Texas A&M have a record breaking recruiting year last year, and make huge gains in the transfer portal, and then suck when the season started.

Having the best athletes is certainly a big part of it. But it does NOT guarantee success. Especially not the level of success Coach Saban has had.

Coach Saban has recruited the best and developed them to their potential.

Talk about a great recruiting tool. Let those who say the dynasty is over top this one.

This might be a nebulous extrapolation, but, I've used it when speaking of the decreasing talent of Canadian hockey players where once it was the blue collar French pedigree and anglo-son-of-a-farmer who used to work hard and sacrifice it all to make the NHL but now can't even afford to play the sport. it cost many thousands a year just to play in the Toronto MTHL, as much as $140k for three years! These are just kids a long way from the pros!

So the former blue-collar, grinding worker pedigree who can't afford to play in these competitive leagues have been replaced by the sons of lawyers, doctors and wealthy Canadians and these same kids go to skating schools, skills improvement schools etc in the off-season. It's insane and I believe it has greatly hurt Canadas competitiveness and it will only get worse as time goes on.

Now my extrapolation is that Alabama is the poorest state in the U.S and I am willing to bet that although the team will of course have players from all across the country, I bet the majority of the roster will be from Alabama from tougher blue collar roots where hard work, God given talent and sacrifice surpass extra resources. Athletics is a driving force for future opportunity for many.

A coach who understands the free market of athletics will spot talent and character accordingly and will have access to some of the best talent, not the best money can buy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back