Alabama Counties Stop Issuing Marriage Licenses

"Pike County officials haven’t issued marriage licenses in months, and today Probate Judge Wes Allen announced that his office is now permanently out of the marriage business.

“My office discontinued issuing marriage licenses in February and I have no plans to put Pike County back into the marriage business,” Allen wrote in a statement. “The policy of my office regarding marriage is no different today than it was yesterday.”

Apparently the law says they MAY issue marriage licenses, not that they must.

Two counties out of marriage business for good after Supreme Court ruling AL.com

Great idea...

Simply stop issuing Marriage Licenses all together... Let the Church which marries people issue the document which designates them as married and only recognize those people as married.

LOVE IT!
Not a problem. Many churches have been marrying gay couples for years. We were religiously married all the way back in 1990.

"Pike County officials haven’t issued marriage licenses in months, and today Probate Judge Wes Allen announced that his office is now permanently out of the marriage business.

“My office discontinued issuing marriage licenses in February and I have no plans to put Pike County back into the marriage business,” Allen wrote in a statement. “The policy of my office regarding marriage is no different today than it was yesterday.”

Two counties out of marriage business for good after Supreme Court ruling AL.com

Great idea...

Simply stop issuing Marriage Licenses all together... Let the Church which marries people issue the document which designates them as married and only recognize those people as married.

LOVE IT!
Actually, that would not make them married in the eyes of the federal government, same sex or opposite sex. Without a legal contract, no one is federally married and can claim certain benefits. The judges who want to be horse's butts will lose that money to other counties and eventually lose elections.
Not so. Alabama is a common law state. A man and a woman can get married in a church without benefit of a license. Hold themselves out as being married and to all intents and purposes they are married, even for federal purposes.

SCOTUS gave gays marriage licenses, not common law.

Way to go Alabama. Very nicely done.
Then what the fuck are they complaining about???!!!! Oh... sorry ha ha

Great idea...

LOVE IT!

Well marriage is after all, defined as a holy bond between one man and one woman. There is no Biblical church that I know of, that could honestly say it's adhering to God's word by attempting to marry a same-sex couple.

Any so-called "church" that sanctioned that, would be defying God.
Actually any so-called "church" that does not sanction gay marriages is defying God.

And my opinion on what God wants or doesn't want is just as valid as yours.

Great idea...

LOVE IT!
Actually, that would not make them married in the eyes of the federal government, same sex or opposite sex. Without a legal contract, no one is federally married and can claim certain benefits. The judges who want to be horse's butts will lose that money to other counties and eventually lose elections.
The money a county makes from marriages licenses is either miniscule or a loss. As far as losing elections goes, this defiance is likely supported by the public so these officials are guaranteed jobs for a long time to come.

Let's sit back and find out.

If there have bee no marriage licenses issued for four months, no one misses them.

Yeah....that's how it's going to go down. Let's just hope wannabe married people don't die or end up in the hospital or want to file a joint tax return for starters.

What are your thoughts on premarital sex?
Are you hitting on me?

Wait till the first military couple in Alabama finds out they have to be married for spousal benefits to kick in, and Alabama won't give them a marriage license.

I was married in the Military and we never filed for marriage benefits. They weren't worth the hassle of filing out the paperwork.

My wife worked making considerably more money than I did even considering the Marriage benefits, so it was a non starter.

But how cool is it that the primary concern for the Left is GOVERNMENT MONEY!
Cool story, bro.

At least one county in Tennessee has also stopped issuing marriage licenses. Some reps are working on a nullification law. The feds cannot force anyone to issue a marriage license.

First Alabama, then Tennesee!! Hoo Rah!

I'm glad i saved my Confederate flag.
Me too. At least when you fly it everyone can be certain you are a loser since you are flying the loser flag. :laugh:

The simple fact is, I'll fly whatever flag I wish over my own property, and there's nothing you can do about it. Not one thing.

I'll also own as many guns as I want, and as much ammunition as I want to. And again, you're impotent. There's nothing you can do about.

So I suggest you go curl up in your closet in a fetal position, suck your thumb, and cry yourself to sleep.:funnyface:
When did you realize that you had an inadequately sized dick and needed to compensate?

Great idea...

LOVE IT!
Not so. Alabama is a common law state. A man and a woman can get married in a church without benefit of a license. Hold themselves out as being married and to all intents and purposes they are married, even for federal purposes.

The decision was to overturn SSCM bans. Common Law is simply a means of entering into Civil Marriage.

If Common Law Marriage are available to different-sex couples (and there only a handful of states that still allow new CLM's), then they are equally available to same-sex couples.

>>>>

no state should be in the business of issuing marriage licenses to begin with

Ah...how long have your actively advocated that political position? Since Friday?

Ah...how long have your actively advocated that political position? Since Friday?

for ever

for ever

Got an example of that?

for ever

Got an example of that?

fuck you

for ever

Got an example of that?

fuck you

I am soooooo loving this week.

Anyway, I really don't know if you had previously advocated for taking government out of the marriage license business.

Great idea...

LOVE IT!

The decision was to overturn SSCM bans. Common Law is simply a means of entering into Civil Marriage.

If Common Law Marriage are available to different-sex couples (and there only a handful of states that still allow new CLM's), then they are equally available to same-sex couples.

>>>>
The Supreme Court decision only involves the issuing of marriage licenses.

Looks like SCOTUS will have another case to decide.

for ever

Got an example of that?

fuck you

Anyway, I really don't know if you had previously advocated for taking government out of the marriage license business.

the wife and i married Sui iuris many years ago

it never has been the states business nor yours really

Why would a hetero couple need a marriage certificate in Alabama?

He is already living with his sister and their alcoholic momma in their trailer; so who needs to involve the gummint?

Regards from Rosie

for ever

Got an example of that?

fuck you

the wife and i married Sui iuris many years ago

it never has been the states business nor yours really

I didn't ask about your marriage.

Great idea...

LOVE IT!

>>>>
The biggest problem with that is that Marriage is the Joining of One Man and One Woman.

The Supreme Court decision only involves the issuing of marriage licenses.

Looks like SCOTUS will have another case to decide.

"The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States. It follows that the Court also must hold—and it now does hold—that there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another State on the ground of its same-sex character."​

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

The case decided a fundamental right to marry. Not just receive a license. If a state is one of the few that still allows Common Law Marriages (a form of legal Civil Marriage), then that method is also available to same-sex couples.

>>>>

Great idea...

LOVE IT!

>>>>
The biggest problem with that is that Marriage is the Joining of One Man and One Woman.

Not according to the Supreme Court which for obvious reasons is a higher standard than some pull string toy that memorized a handful of phrases.

Forum List

Back