Alabama Counties Stop Issuing Marriage Licenses

No marriage licenses in Alabama?

So all those sister-wives have to take their brothers to Mississippi? I daclar, they are goin ta get tha vapas.

"Pike County officials haven’t issued marriage licenses in months, and today Probate Judge Wes Allen announced that his office is now permanently out of the marriage business.

“My office discontinued issuing marriage licenses in February and I have no plans to put Pike County back into the marriage business,” Allen wrote in a statement. “The policy of my office regarding marriage is no different today than it was yesterday.”

Apparently the law says they MAY issue marriage licenses, not that they must.

Two counties out of marriage business for good after Supreme Court ruling AL.com

Great idea...

Simply stop issuing Marriage Licenses all together... Let the Church which marries people issue the document which designates them as married and only recognize those people as married.

LOVE IT!
Actually, that would not make them married in the eyes of the federal government, same sex or opposite sex. Without a legal contract, no one is federally married and can claim certain benefits. The judges who want to be horse's butts will lose that money to other counties and eventually lose elections.
Not so. Alabama is a common law state. A man and a woman can get married in a church without benefit of a license. Hold themselves out as being married and to all intents and purposes they are married, even for federal purposes.

SCOTUS gave gays marriage licenses, not common law.

Way to go Alabama. Very nicely done.

The decision was to overturn SSCM bans. Common Law is simply a means of entering into Civil Marriage.

If Common Law Marriage are available to different-sex couples (and there only a handful of states that still allow new CLM's), then they are equally available to same-sex couples.

>>>>
The biggest problem with that is that Marriage is the Joining of One Man and One Woman.

common law marriage is recognized in every state

'Carl Tobias, professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said he doesn't think courts will allow counties to opt of the marriage business. The Supreme Court's decision affirmed marriage as a fundamental right, he said. So denying marriage licenses to everyone does not follow the court's order.

"They would be basically defying a Supreme Court ruling, so I think they're going to have to do [same-sex marriage]," Tobias said.'

Hence the pointless stupidity of refusing to issue the licenses.

"Pike County officials haven’t issued marriage licenses in months, and today Probate Judge Wes Allen announced that his office is now permanently out of the marriage business.

“My office discontinued issuing marriage licenses in February and I have no plans to put Pike County back into the marriage business,” Allen wrote in a statement. “The policy of my office regarding marriage is no different today than it was yesterday.”

Two counties out of marriage business for good after Supreme Court ruling AL.com

Great idea...

Simply stop issuing Marriage Licenses all together... Let the Church which marries people issue the document which designates them as married and only recognize those people as married.

LOVE IT!
Actually, that would not make them married in the eyes of the federal government, same sex or opposite sex. Without a legal contract, no one is federally married and can claim certain benefits. The judges who want to be horse's butts will lose that money to other counties and eventually lose elections.
Not so. Alabama is a common law state. A man and a woman can get married in a church without benefit of a license. Hold themselves out as being married and to all intents and purposes they are married, even for federal purposes.

SCOTUS gave gays marriage licenses, not common law.

Way to go Alabama. Very nicely done.

The decision was to overturn SSCM bans. Common Law is simply a means of entering into Civil Marriage.

If Common Law Marriage are available to different-sex couples (and there only a handful of states that still allow new CLM's), then they are equally available to same-sex couples.

>>>>
The biggest problem with that is that Marriage is the Joining of One Man and One Woman.
Well, the USSC just butt fucked you. Happy days...

A little bit of history repeating itself...

19570904_Elizabeth_Eckford_at_Little_Rock.jpg
Those were beautiful times.

How are you equating a municipality refusing to compromise their faith, with a bunch of 1960's Democrats refusing African-Americans from attending which school they want, from eating at a lunch counter, or from sitting in the front of the bus?

Last I heard, same-sex couples have and have always had those rights.

Are we trying to be a little dramatic or over the top here? You're not doing a good job of convincing me of your position.

They are just calling black people homosexuals, that is all.

Great idea...

LOVE IT!

Well marriage is after all, defined as a holy bond between one man and one woman. There is no Biblical church that I know of, that could honestly say it's adhering to God's word by attempting to marry a same-sex couple.

Any so-called "church" that sanctioned that, would be defying God.

I had a gay person come up to me to tell me they got married.

They gave EXACTLY to the word the same reason that are posted in this board.

I asked about them being catholic and what the priest told them.

I was told that he said, "I won't judge you."

Wow I thought a RCC priest saying he won't judge someone, now that is new.

BTW I congratulated them.

'Carl Tobias, professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said he doesn't think courts will allow counties to opt of the marriage business. The Supreme Court's decision affirmed marriage as a fundamental right, he said. So denying marriage licenses to everyone does not follow the court's order.

"They would be basically defying a Supreme Court ruling, so I think they're going to have to do [same-sex marriage]," Tobias said.'

The Supreme Court will have to decide this one too.

I think they kind of already did.

If some counties or states are that fucking dumb...

If the federal government is going to assume authority over marriage then it should issue the paperwork and conduct any ceremony associated with it.

Honestly, the government shouldn't be issuing licenses for private behavior anyways. It is like issuing licenses to decorate your wall.

How are you equating a municipality refusing to compromise their faith, with a bunch of 1960's Democrats refusing African-Americans from attending which school they want, from eating at a lunch counter, or from sitting in the front of the bus?

Last I heard, same-sex couples have and have always had those rights.

Are we trying to be a little dramatic or over the top here? You're not doing a good job of convincing me of your position.
You are being a drama queen because your "faith" is not compromised by letting two other people get married.

All states (and the District of Columbia) require a marriage license issued by local civil authorities. As a rule, ministers of religion (e.g. rabbis or Christian pastors) are authorized in law to perform marriages; various state or local officials, such as a mayor, judge, deputy marriage commissioner, or justice of the peace, are also empowered to conduct civil wedding ceremonies, which may take place in public offices. Many counties in Pennsylvania allow self-uniting marriages for which no official minister is required, as a concession to the state's Quaker heritage (though other religious traditions also avail themselves of the option). The type of ceremony (religious or civil) has no bearing on the legal validity of the marriage,

And here lies the issue, the uneducated fundys "think" marriage has to do with a church or religion and is controlled by such

Last edited:

When were faggots slaves or made to sit in the back of the bus or made to drink from a different water fountain or forced to live in their own communities. History? No. Your comment is just more retarded rhetoric from the people who think with their genitals.

I've been saying for years that states need to get out of the marriage business and let any two or more people enter into whatever legal agreement they want.

The Supreme Court decision only involves the issuing of marriage licenses.

Looks like SCOTUS will have another case to decide.

"The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States. It follows that the Court also must hold—and it now does hold—that there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another State on the ground of its same-sex character."​

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

The case decided a fundamental right to marry. Not just receive a license. If a state is one of the few that still allows Common Law Marriages (a form of legal Civil Marriage), then that method is also available to same-sex couples.

>>>>
Then so be it but Alabama will have washed their hands of the whole mess.

The Supreme Court decision only involves the issuing of marriage licenses.

Looks like SCOTUS will have another case to decide.

"The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States. It follows that the Court also must hold—and it now does hold—that there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another State on the ground of its same-sex character."​

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

The case decided a fundamental right to marry. Not just receive a license. If a state is one of the few that still allows Common Law Marriages (a form of legal Civil Marriage), then that method is also available to same-sex couples.

>>>>
Then so be it but Alabama will have washed their hands of the whole mess.
Alabama and 18 other states can stop issuing Marriage licenses altogether if they want. The supreme court will have to extend their ruling to common law marriage since their ruling only guarantees the right to a marriage license.

Forum List

Back