Alien Life? You better hope God exists!

It's not faith to make evidence-based determinations....

YOU HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE OF LIFE ELSEWHERE!
Irrelevant. I am not claiming with 100% certainty that there is life elsewhere. Please pay better attention to what is being discussed.

I am saying that we have evidence that life likely has or will form elsewhere at least one other time. This evidence comes in the form of the fact that life has formed at least once, the fact that the chemicals involved in the type of life we know about are abundant in the universe, the apparently short amount of time it took life to form on this planet, amd the sheer size of the universe.
"Evidence-based determinations" are made with 100% certainty or they are speculations. So now you're doing a cute little tap dance for us.

You do not know for a fact that life formed at least once, that is your speculation based on the fact that life exists and rejection of the possibility of a Creator, which you've not disproved. Furthermore, you still have no evidence life exists elsewhere or how it originated here.

Here's another article on the artificial life and how it was created.

Scientist Craig Venter creates life for first time in laboratory sparking debate about 'playing god'

First they sequenced the genetic code of Mycoplasma genitalium, the world's smallest bacteria that lives in cattle and goats, and stored the information on a computer.

Then they used the computer code to artificially reproduce the DNA in the laboratory, slightly modifying it with a "watermark" so it was distinguishable from the original natural one.

Finally they developed a technique of stripping bacteria cells of all original DNA and substituting it with the new artificial code.

The resulting "synthetic cell" was then "rebooted" and it started to replicate. The ability to reproduce or replicate is considered the basic definition of life.

Dr Venter compared his work with the building of a computer. Making the artificial DNA was the equivalent of creating the software for the operating system. Transferring it to a cell was like loading it into the hardware and running the programme.

"This is the first synthetic cell that's been made, and we call it synthetic because the cell is totally derived from a synthetic chromosome, made with four bottles of chemicals on a chemical synthesizer, starting with information in a computer," said Dr Venter.
First they sequenced the genetic code of Mycoplasma genitalium, the world's smallest bacteria that lives in cattle and goats...

I've highlighted a word you need to try and comprehend in that pea-sized brain of yours. Hope that helps.

Guess you missed the next two paragraphs.....................

Then they used the computer code to artificially reproduce the DNA in the laboratory, slightly modifying it with a "watermark" so it was distinguishable from the original natural one.

Finally they developed a technique of stripping bacteria cells of all original DNA and substituting it with the new artificial code.

There. I've highlighted the part that you missed. All original DNA was stripped, leaving no natural stuff.
I didn't need anymore paragraphs. They began with life. They created life from life.

Irrelevant. I am not claiming with 100% certainty that there is life elsewhere. Please pay better attention to what is being discussed.

I am saying that we have evidence that life likely has or will form elsewhere at least one other time. This evidence comes in the form of the fact that life has formed at least once, the fact that the chemicals involved in the type of life we know about are abundant in the universe, the apparently short amount of time it took life to form on this planet, amd the sheer size of the universe.
"Evidence-based determinations" are made with 100% certainty or they are speculations. So now you're doing a cute little tap dance for us.

You do not know for a fact that life formed at least once, that is your speculation based on the fact that life exists and rejection of the possibility of a Creator, which you've not disproved. Furthermore, you still have no evidence life exists elsewhere or how it originated here.

Actually, there is a meteorite that came from Mars that has fossilized bacteria in it.

Meteorite Yields Evidence of Primitive Life on Early Mars

A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.

The NASA-funded team found the first organic molecules thought to be of Martian origin; several mineral features characteristic of biological activity; and possible microscopic fossils of primitive, bacteria-like organisms inside of an ancient Martian rock that fell to Earth as a meteorite. This array of indirect evidence of past life will be reported in the August 16 issue of the journal Science, presenting the investigation to the scientific community at large for further study.

Actually, there is a meteorite that came from Mars that has fossilized bacteria in it.

Meteorite Yields Evidence of Primitive Life on Early Mars

A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.

The NASA-funded team found the first organic molecules thought to be of Martian origin; several mineral features characteristic of biological activity; and possible microscopic fossils of primitive, bacteria-like organisms inside of an ancient Martian rock that fell to Earth as a meteorite. This array of indirect evidence of past life will be reported in the August 16 issue of the journal Science, presenting the investigation to the scientific community at large for further study.
Gosh, I am reading a lot of "may have" and "thought to be" and "possibly" words there... are you missing those or ignoring them?

The OP assumes the existence and reality of the god the OP believes in out of thousands of gods humans worship.

First provide evidence any god exists and then provide evidence the one you believe in is the only 'real' good and all the other gods are not real and all the other billions of people that don't believe as you do are wrong.

Now let the circular illogic storm begin.

The OP assumes the existence and reality of the god the OP believes in out of thousands of gods humans worship.

First provide evidence any god exists and then provide evidence the one you believe in is the only 'real' good and all the other gods are not real and all the other billions of people that don't believe as you do are wrong.

How about the possibility that all gods exist while also not existing?

Provide evidence that isn't true.

You can't defend your beliefs. At least you admit it and that is a start.

He said you’d keep squawking and damn if he wasn’t right. Our believing there’s probably life elsewhere isn’t the same thing in having faith in there being a god.

Our conclusion was derived based on what we know and the fact we know very little.

I don’t believe with all my heart either. I just conclude there must be. But it’s based on the fact we can only really see two feet in front of our faces.

To conclude we aren’t special isn’t arrogant. You believe you are special in fact after you die this creator has a heaven waiting for you.

We just believe there must be other life out there. We are probably not alone. Don’t you see your fairytale wishful belief isn’t the same thing?

When you put all the evidence together it makes sense life is out there. But that means accepting evolution. On this planet life started with a single cell in the water and multiplied, developed eyes and brains then crawled out of the water. 90% of species died the our ancestors and dinosaurs survived. Dinosaurs ruled while we hid underground. They died off and we were able to relax and farm and invent and eventually become what we are.

But boss doesn’t believe in evolution. He believes god poofed is here. So keep track of what American theists don’t believe.

1. Evolution
2. We are not alone
3. Global warming isn’t real.

This is evidence American Christians are being manipulated politically through religion.

If god poofed life here. If he put one planet in the sweet spot why wouldn’t he have more than one fish tank?

I’ve explained that before too. He said the moon had to be just right and the dinosaurs had to be wiped out....He said too many things had to happen for us to be here.

I explained this isn’t the only way intelligent life might come to be. It’s use the way it happened here.

He then may accept another planet has birds fish reptiles and mammals but nothing intelligent like us. I’ll admit we are probably a bit more rare than common wild life but certainly I don’t think we are unique. That would be an ignorant and arrogant conclusion

And again... You are stating a FAITH-BASED belief that you cannot support scientifically or biologically. I'm not saying it's not true, it could be... but it's FAITH-BASED! It's no different than saying God created all living things when He created the universe.
It's not faith to make evidence-based determinations and then proceed from them. It is not faith to proceed as if your car is going to start tomorrow morning. This is a shameless, absurd line of bullshit from you, and you ALWAYS retreat to this same, emvarrassing bullshit. I will describe it again:

Being that you have no tools available to you to elevate your magical thinking from the worthless muck where all magical thinking resides, you are left with only one tactic: drag down empirical knowledge and evidence-based ideas into the murk by calling them, "faith". Only in this way could you ever hope to place your magical bullshit on the same shelf as empirical knowledge or evidence-based thought.

It will fail, as it always does. Sure, you'll keep squawking, but your magical ideas will remain worthless, while empirical knowledge and evidence-based thought will retain their value.
If we didn’t make faith based conclusion we wouldn’t even be looking to find life elsewhere. If it were up to boss we wouldn’t even look anymore. We would give up because we would conclude we are alone.

I don’t understand wanting to be the only life in the universe other than wanting to be special. Still hoping that all this is for us and we are special to the creator.

Otherwise you must conclude the universe is so big and stars so plentiful that there must be intelligent life out there. I saw a thing today that even if only .00001% had life there still would be a million planets with life. We are just too far away to tell.

And don’t forget all the life on other planets that lived and died already just like we will some day. Or the planets where life will be one day but currently they are just single cells right now. Give them 500 million years

Beliefs are beliefs, no need to defend them. You have a problem admitting your faith.

He said you’d keep squawking and damn if he wasn’t right. Our believing there’s probably life elsewhere isn’t the same thing in having faith in there being a god.

Our conclusion was derived based on what we know and the fact we know very little.

I don’t believe with all my heart either. I just conclude there must be. But it’s based on the fact we can only really see two feet in front of our faces.

To conclude we aren’t special isn’t arrogant. You believe you are special in fact after you die this creator has a heaven waiting for you.

We just believe there must be other life out there. We are probably not alone. Don’t you see your fairytale wishful belief isn’t the same thing?

Faith in one thing isn't any different than faith in another. It's still belief in absence of proof. You can pretend it's different, that's called 'perspective'.

btw... it's amazing how you admit we only know so little, can only see two feet in front of our faces... yet you completely dismiss the possibility of a Creator. More amazingly, you don't think that is arrogant.

Beliefs are beliefs, no need to defend them. You have a problem admitting your faith.

Right, you believe 'just 'cause'.

Same thing Flat Earthers say and Bigfoot followers. They don't have any evidence either, they just believe. Again fair enough, glad to see someone admit it.

I’ve explained that before too. He said the moon had to be just right and the dinosaurs had to be wiped out....He said too many things had to happen for us to be here.

I explained this isn’t the only way intelligent life might come to be. It’s use the way it happened here.

He then may accept another planet has birds fish reptiles and mammals but nothing intelligent like us. I’ll admit we are probably a bit more rare than common wild life but certainly I don’t think we are unique. That would be an ignorant and arrogant conclusion

And again... You are stating a FAITH-BASED belief that you cannot support scientifically or biologically. I'm not saying it's not true, it could be... but it's FAITH-BASED! It's no different than saying God created all living things when He created the universe.
It's not faith to make evidence-based determinations and then proceed from them. It is not faith to proceed as if your car is going to start tomorrow morning. This is a shameless, absurd line of bullshit from you, and you ALWAYS retreat to this same, emvarrassing bullshit. I will describe it again:

Being that you have no tools available to you to elevate your magical thinking from the worthless muck where all magical thinking resides, you are left with only one tactic: drag down empirical knowledge and evidence-based ideas into the murk by calling them, "faith". Only in this way could you ever hope to place your magical bullshit on the same shelf as empirical knowledge or evidence-based thought.

It will fail, as it always does. Sure, you'll keep squawking, but your magical ideas will remain worthless, while empirical knowledge and evidence-based thought will retain their value.
If we didn’t make faith based conclusion we wouldn’t even be looking to find life elsewhere. If it were up to boss we wouldn’t even look anymore. We would give up because we would conclude we are alone.

I don’t understand wanting to be the only life in the universe other than wanting to be special. Still hoping that all this is for us and we are special to the creator.

Otherwise you must conclude the universe is so big and stars so plentiful that there must be intelligent life out there. I saw a thing today that even if only .00001% had life there still would be a million planets with life. We are just too far away to tell.

And don’t forget all the life on other planets that lived and died already just like we will some day. Or the planets where life will be one day but currently they are just single cells right now. Give them 500 million years

Did you not read the OP? Nowhere have I argued we are a.) special or b.) alone.

Right, you believe 'just 'cause'.

Same thing Flat Earthers say and Bigfoot followers. They don't have any evidence either, they just believe. Again fair enough, glad to see someone admit it.
Noooooo... YOU believe in "just because" and I believe in God.

We both have faith.

Faith in one thing isn't any different than faith in another. It's still belief in absence of proof. You can pretend it's different, that's called 'perspective'.

btw... it's amazing how you admit we only know so little, can only see two feet in front of our faces... yet you completely dismiss the possibility of a Creator. More amazingly, you don't think that is arrogant.

I don't completely dismiss anything. Just this creator crap sounds made up. When you know the motivation and where god came from you realize it's made up. We made it up. Is there a creator? There might be. Has it visited boss and does it care? From what we see this is all in your head. So your faith doesn't have anything to do with facts, logic or reasoning. It's wishful thinking. I don't wish for there to be global warming or life on other planets. I don't wish for evolution to be true.

Do you see the difference? You believe things because you want them to be true. We believe what we believe because of the evidence we see in front of us.

I don't have faith in evolution. I believe it's real but no faith necessary. I'm perfectly open to hearing a newer better theory. I'll drop evolution so fast. LOL.

Did you not read the OP? Nowhere have I argued we are a.) special or b.) alone.

You said: I believe it is all but impossible that another intelligent life form exists elsewhere unless there is a Creator.

To me this comment is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin. So you don't think of all the trillions of stars out there that the conditions happened anywhere else unless a god did it?

And of course you don't think earth could have happened unless god did it.

How do you argue with a stubborn fool?

To me this comment is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin. So you don't think of all the trillions of stars out there that the conditions happened anywhere else unless a god did it?

If you can wrap your mind around an omniscient energy force as "god" instead of some religious incarnation, then yes. I think the thousands of variables which had to occur in systematic order and to a precision degree at specific times and intervals along with assorted circumstances which also had to happen precisely as they did in order to culminate in the "intelligent life" we realize as homo sapiens, it isn't something "randomly" produced by this or any other universe. It has every indication to my rational thinking that this is something beyond physical nature at play. Maybe we are yet to discover what "spiritual" actually is? Perhaps there is actually some quantum-physical way to explain what we think of as "spiritual nature"? But there is far too much "coincidence" for me to accept as the product of random meaninglessness.

If you can wrap your mind around an omniscient energy force as "god" instead of some religious incarnation, then yes. I think the thousands of variables which had to occur in systematic order and to a precision degree at specific times and intervals along with assorted circumstances which also had to happen precisely as they did in order to culminate in the "intelligent life" we realize as homo sapiens, it isn't something "randomly" produced by this or any other universe. It has every indication to my rational thinking that this is something beyond physical nature at play. Maybe we are yet to discover what "spiritual" actually is? Perhaps there is actually some quantum-physical way to explain what we think of as "spiritual nature"? But there is far too much "coincidence" for me to accept as the product of random meaninglessness.

Random meaninglessness? Coincidence? Why do you attach these terms to what happened to earth? Given a few billion years when the conditions are/were right life began. And one day life will disappear when conditions are no longer right.

No I can't wrap my mind around it. You're saying unless a god put the moon just right and wiped out the dinosaurs for us INTENTIONALLY that it would be impossible otherwise for intelligent life to exist. I think this is ignorant to think that it doesn't just happen naturally especially when it's looking more and more like life used to be on Mars and Venue and there may even be living things in Europa.

Bottom line is we know so little about other stars and the history of other planets even within our own solar system that it is foolish to conclude that it doesn't happen elsewhere. And to think that it can only happen if a god does it? I don't even know what to say to that. Again here is where you think a god POOFed things into the way they are. Just nonsense. Do you want me to take this seriously? I can't. Because what you are saying is you believe life on earth could only have happened it god made it happen. You can't even prove this god exists and here you are giving it credit for how life formed on earth?

Of course then he isn't perfect because then that means he made trilobites first and a billion years later wiped them all out. (Probably because they sinned too much) and then he made dinosaurs and then wiped them all out. Then he let them rule for millions of years and then decided he was bored with them and then made us in the last 300,000 years. Oh yea and he wiped us out too. All but Noah and his tribe. So god must love to wipe out life on earth every so often. Nice guy this god.

Oh, and you also don't believe we evolved right? So at some point god poofed dinosaurs away and poofed us into existence.

Forum List

Back