Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

All things PINK!

1286595212256_hz-myalibaba-temp11_1573.jpg

Can't more pink than this guy.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381128670.811892.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381128670.811892.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 48
There is nothing more manly than a guy in pink t-shirt for 'run for breast cancer' or 'volleying for breast cancer.' In fairness I've been on the lookout of 'run for prostate cancer' and have yet to see one.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/05/br...er-of-victims/

Blog - Caroline May
Breast cancer receives much more research funding, publicity than prostate cancer despite similar number of victims

2:51 AM 10/05/2010

For Barbie, October is a month to behold. Pink. Pink everywhere. Pink balloons, ribbons, bridges, buildings, and professional sports equipment, all to raise awareness about breast cancer.

The last 25 years have seen the boob slowly edging out the pumpkin as a symbol for fall. With breast cancer so visible, it is interesting to note that last month was prostate cancer awareness month. In September, however, the color blue did not engulf the country in any similar manner — despite claiming a comparable number of victims.

According to estimates from the National Institutes of Health, in the United States in 2010, 207,090 women and 1,970 men will get new cases of breast cancer, while 39,840 women and 390 men will likely die from the disease. The estimated new cases of prostate cancer this year — all affecting men — is 217,730, while it is predicted 32,050 will die from the disease.

Dan Zenka, the Prostate Cancer Foundation’s vice president of communications, says the similarity in numbers is hard to ignore. “Prostate cancer is to men what breast cancer is to women,” he told The Daily Caller.

Breast cancer awareness advocates have done an inspired job getting out word and excitement for their cause. Despite their success, prostate cancer has been left in the dust — both in terms of awareness and federal funding. Case in point, prostate cancer research receives less than half of the funding breast cancer does.

In fiscal year 2009, breast cancer research received $872 million worth of federal funding, while prostate cancer received $390 million. It is estimated that fiscal year 2010 will end similarly, with breast cancer research getting $891 million and prostate cancer research receiving $399 million.

Even when it comes to private foundations, the picture is the same. For example, at the American Cancer Society, breast cancer receives about twice the number of grants as prostate cancer.

Kevin Johnson, the senior vice president of public policy for ZERO-The Project to End Prostate Cancer, chalks much of the disparity up to the differences between men and women, specifically the way each deals with their health concerns. Women, Johnson says, tend to be acutely aware and outspoken about their health concerns, while men shy away from such discussions.

“[Women] have been very vocal about being active in their health care. Men just aren’t like that. Men don’t talk about it,” Johnson told TheDC. “You’ve got to be tougher and everything else. You don’t talk about weaknesses like that.”

Zenka agrees

“Men don’t put on blue sneakers or blue ribbons; and they don’t run every 5k they can find and I think that has really slowed down the pace of awareness and subsequently the funding,” he said.

A step in the right direction:

Breast Cancer Warriors Show Support for Men During September?s National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month | Cancer Answers | a Chron.com blog

Breast Cancer Warriors Show Support for Men During September’s National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We’re all in this together.

Yesterday I was a little put out that a major cancer institution had already started promoting October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month with an upcoming pink lighting.

We’re halfway through September’s National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month and I haven’t seen the attention given to prostate cancer by the media, cancer centers, businesses, government, etc. Where are the the blue lighting ceremonies for men’s prostate cancer? Where are the media stories on prostate cancer, examining prostate cancer causes and prostate cancer prevention? Where are the feature stories on men of different ages, new treatments, government funding, the cost of drugs and what works and what doesn’t?

October will be here soon enough, and we will see pink, hear pink and read pink — including from me. I’ll be writing pieces to put a spotlight on breast cancer for the women in my life because I believe we must continue to do more to prevent breast cancer, find ways of preventing breast cancer, find better life-extending treatments and ultimately find a cure.

But until October, we must place a big spotlight on prostate cancer — the No. 1 cancer killer of American men.

Last night I was moved when Kirby Jamail, a 28-year old friend of mine recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, posted on Facebook that she had just completed her third round of chemo at MD Anderson Cancer Center, and she was asking all her friends to remember this month is September’s National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and to find a way to “go blue” and support the men in your life. That really moved me. Despite all she’s going through she was asking everyone to think about the men in their life and show support. I shared Kirby’s comments on Facebook and was immediately flooded with responses. Many are praying for her and others going through the journey. Kirby is a warrior and we stand with her as she fights this battle.

I also must recognize another incredible woman in my life, Dr. Carolyn Farb, hc. She’s a breast cancer survivor who sits on the Board of Directors of the Blue Cure prostate cancer nonprofit and works tirelessly to get more attention and action on men’s prostate cancer.

As women like her and Kirby know — and as I know — we are all in this together.

Sorry I am late to the Pink Party. I hope this pic is ok to post. It does not show nipples...because she has none.

This pic was my desktop wallpaper last December. It saved my mind when I was feeling low due to the mastectomy. So I now share it with you guys. Cool pic, isn't it? Look at her face. Her children. I LOVE this pic.

21j0oz8.jpg
[/IMG]

I have not read the whole thread yet..but October is the month for mamms. I get one on the 15th for the breast I have left. Keep your fingers crossed the results are good. :)

Forum List

Back