Alternate Facts and normal people and Trump

When KelleyAnne Conway used the term "alternative facts", I know we are headed to an attempt with authoritarian fascists gathered around Trump to end democracy in America.

Normal people "are simultaneously flummoxed that Trump’s administration is willing to destroy their credibility by presenting obvious falsehoods while also wondering why many still support him. Why would so many people sign up for 'alternative facts'"

Evangelical religious history in America can explain how this 'alternate factual' knowledge can still be powerful today.

Many Americans, mostly on the far right but some on the left as well, have a long history in buying into "alternative knowledge."

Trump is simply exploiting the credulous and alienating a growing majority of voters. This will get him in the end.
---
Trump and Palin exist in an alternative universe of knowledge denial
Welcome to the know-nothing GOP reality show, where ignorance equals votes from the all-important Christian evangelicals and fundamentalists

So much for the Independent in the UK. Now is there hope the U.S. media will start honoring its Constitutional responsibility?
There's something in the Constitutuion requiring the MSM to report honestly, truthfully?

Normal people "are simultaneously flummoxed that Trump’s administration is willing to destroy their credibility by presenting obvious falsehoods while also wondering why many still support him. Why would so many people sign up for 'alternative facts'"

Evangelical religious history in America can explain how this 'alternate factual' knowledge can still be powerful today.

Many Americans, mostly on the far right but some on the left as well, have a long history in buying into "alternative knowledge."

Trump is simply exploiting the credulous and alienating a growing majority of voters. This will get him in the end.
---
Welcome to the know-nothing GOP reality show, where ignorance equals votes from the all-important Christian evangelicals and fundamentalists

So much for the Independent in the UK. Now is there hope the U.S. media will start honoring its Constitutional responsibility?
There's something in the Constitutuion requiring the MSM to report honestly, truthfully?
The Free Press is the only occupation mentioned in the constitution. That's how important a free press is to a democracy.

The mass media has lost crediblity among many Americans. These particular Americans feel ignored, alienated and afraid. They have seen their manufacturing jobs go away through outsourcing, off shoring and automation. These are forces beyond their control. Naturally looking for a scapegoat, their fears and suspicions have landed squarely upon mass media. Consequently, they are eager to heap scorn, susion and ridicule on the media boogeyman.

Right wing pundits have bolstered their fear of the media by claiming the media does not supply them with truth, but inculcation. These pundits claim that the propaganda they deal with is, indeed, the truth the public does not receive from mass media. And the cycle is repeatedly fed.

Donald Trump is a man of massive yet fragile ego. Before even one vote was cast, he claimed election fraud. Even as he was sworn in, he claims election fraud on a massive scale. Donald Trump does not accept criticism lightly. His ego will not harbor any of that. He uses the bully pulpit of the Presidency to swing at every pitch, from celebrities to private individuals, Donald will punch down, never up to preserve the delusion that he has a total popular mandate to act with impunity.

Combine the fearful, suspicious members of the general public with a leader who feeds their fears and we get a casual relationship with the truth. Alternative facts is yet another way to lie in order to have your own outlook reenforced rather than challenged, sustained rather than widened and confirmed rather than questioned.
The mass media? Do you ever watch any of it? Aside from being openly pro-Hillary they will run with any story with zero investigation. I'm to the point now that I occasionally watch CNN for a laugh. Even NPR has gone down the drain and I was a loyal listener for almost 30 years.

I think you miss one point, the opinions of mass media have been steadily declining for awhile well before Trump.

Trust in Mass Media Returns to All-Time Low

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- After registering slightly higher trust last year, Americans' confidence in the media's ability to report "the news fully, accurately, and fairly" has returned to its previous all-time low of 40%. Americans' trust in mass media has generally been edging downward from higher levels in the late 1990s and the early 2000s.

My problem is I have faith in mass media to present a panoply of news, fact checked and reported faithfully. I have absolutely NO faith in 'alternative media' that pushes an agenda without the bother of journalistic due process. Internet rumor mongering, obfuscation and coercion is no way to present news.

Consequently I cannot fathom the zeal with which some folks flock to it! Affirmation? Partisanship? I just don't know.

I've seen Donald Trump act with petulance and revenge and I believe that is beneath the dignity of the office. It suits professional wrestlers well, but I want a statesman, not a carnival barker.

I do not have such an illusion that main stream media fact checks and faithfully reports. While I use several of them to help control errors, omissions and lies, I think a fair number of people lost faith completely and turned to alternatives. Again, this is the media's fault.

---

The Free Press is the only occupation mentioned in the constitution. That's how important a free press is to a democracy.
Much of the free press we have is worthless because it irresponsibly reports fiction rather than fact.

The internet has spawned sites that report without confirmation, or credibility. These sites do not undertake journalistic due process. And some sites such as Breitbart are openly biased and provide 'alternative facts' to anyone gullible enough to accept them.

The 'alternative media' is nothing more than USMB touting their own narrow agenda. Trust? Never. Accept? Hardly. Believe? Not for a minute.

---

Much of the free press we have is worthless because it irresponsibly reports fiction rather than fact.
And you have to lump internet sites in among them.

The internet has spawned sites that report without confirmation, or credibility. These sites do not undertake journalistic due process. And some sites such as Breitbart are openly biased and provide 'alternative facts' to anyone gullible enough to accept them.

The 'alternative media' is nothing more than USMB touting their own narrow agenda. Trust? Never. Accept? Hardly. Believe? Not for a minute.

Did MSM confirm MLK's bust was missing from the Oval Office before reporting it as missing? Face facts, there are wildly misleading and incorrect reports on MSM everyday.

Did MSM confirm MLK's bust was missing from the Oval Office before reporting it as missing? Face facts, there are wildly misleading and incorrect reports on MSM everyday.
That story evaporated faster than rubbing alcohol poured on a west Texas highway in July. But the 'alternative facts' of Trump's inaugural crowds festered throughout the week. And that story is perpetuated by the White House Press Secretary.

That story evaporated faster than rubbing alcohol poured on a west Texas highway in July. But the 'alternative facts' of Trump's inaugural crowds festered throughout the week. And that story is perpetuated by the White House Press Secretary.

I haven't seen identical time stamps to the inauguration start of Obama and Trump to tell for myself. Frankly, I do not care who had the biggest.

To your excellent point of trusting the MSM, it is truly very important and I hope we get better reporting and the White House responds with a better relationship with them.

The talk among the mainstream media hosts like Chuck Todd etc is simply not interview KelleyAnne Conway and others who try to make alternate fact as somehow legitimate.

Our American political system depends on a free press.

So the government established the press before becoming a country?

The political system depends on the Constitution and most everyone faithfully abiding by it.
And therein lies the issues.

You may not understand the role of the press in our political culture.

And, two, we have the far right and the far left not "faithfully abiding by it."

And when either far right or far left go on an alternative fact ride, the honest American needs to land on it feet first.

The talk among the mainstream media hosts like Chuck Todd etc is simply not interview KelleyAnne Conway and others who try to make alternate fact as somehow legitimate.

:lol:

Let Todd run with that. I am sure they can find another program to run in that time slot. Maybe My Pillow ads.

Let Todd run with that. I am sure they can find another program to run in that time slot. Maybe My Pillow ads.
Todd will not be going anywhere. KelleyAnne can go cry in her office.

Todd has been exposed as a partisan hack. That will be career ending bad very soon.

Todd has been exposed as a partisan hack. That will be career ending bad very soon.
Only in your opinion. He is solid, has the backing of his company, and has no fear in the slightest of the Alt Right fascists.

Only in your opinion. He is solid, has the backing of his company, and has no fear in the slightest of the Alt Right fascists.

Nope Meet The Press use to require only the finest in journalistic integrity. At this point Todd can't even buy that.

Forum List

Back