Am I the only one here who thinks this is just wrong?

you do know the majority of college students are female. there are much more women getting college degrees these days then men

I got a college degree ... And it makes a pretty decoration on the wall behind my desk.
Then I opened a business that had nothing to do with the degree I earned ... And started making money.

The employees of a gazillionaire bank CEO are paid so poorly they need government assistance?

OUTRAGEOUS!!! Toss the leeches into the street. Preferably into the nearest snow bank.

Bah humbug, I say!

If they had any ambition they could get funding for college and get out of the pink ghetto.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

The largest effect of public assistance programs (especially those like EITC that require work) is to subsidize megacorporations which have a demand for low paid labor.

Well oro lets dig a little deeper into your blanket claims. First the study was done by the univ of cal Berkeley campus, not a bastion of objectivity. Second it said tellers and their families,hello! Now let's,try a little dose of reality which neither side uses much of lately. First these employees literally have bankers hours and comfrtable working conditions. How many of them are part time. How many are students trying to augment income. How many are single Moms grateful for a job that lets them be home when their kids are. How many of the 40 per cent will still have the same job two years from now. How many are using as springboard to become managers at a later date. And here is a question liberals never ask, how many are happy or satisfied with their jobs right now. No one is holding a gun to their heads to work at a bank. Do I think some executive payment is obcene and not warranted, yes I do. Finally look on the bright side, many people have a job, are being productive, are gaining self esteem and the govt is helping to take up some of the slack. Isn't that what you want

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

The largest effect of public assistance programs (especially those like EITC that require work) is to subsidize megacorporations which have a demand for low paid labor.

There is a serious problem with an entitlement structure that allows someone who is gainfully employed to profit from it. Entitlements should be a safety net for those in need, not a career option, and definitely not supplemental income for people who work barely 24 hours a week and who could supplement their income with a second job.

Oh, sure. You do that.

But since when is working a 40-hour week "sucking on the government tit."

If anybody works full time and needs to be on welfare, it's the corporations that are robbing people.

ATM's on line banking need I say more?
There already is too much automation, technological improvisation and robotization affecting our daily experience, the inevitable effect of which has been mass dehumanization -- a social phenomenon which is increasingly manifest in American society. Our Nation is not only politically divided, its population is so alienated our government no longer serves our interests but has become our ruler.

Your comment is manifest evidence of this alienation. You've become so detached from the human element of the bank-teller occupational category your immediate solution to a reparable economic situation is to brush these people aside, dismiss them, replace them with computers and machinery.

I suggest that a more humanistic solution to this problem is repetition of FDR's New Deal in the initial form of radically increased taxation at the upper income levels and substantial redistribution of wealth via equitably increased wages. This approach worked very well in the 40s and it resulted in the most prosperous and productive four decades in our history -- by increasing circulation of the Nation's wealth rather than the hoarding of it by an emerging financial elite class.

no, it is about the non-existing JOBS because of the policies of this administration which make it impossible to find a job
How can you expect to be taken seriously when you say something so easily proven false?

Unemployment is still high, but people find jobs every day.

CaféAuLait;8253700 said:
One-third of bank tellers rely on public assistance - CBS News

Can't wait to read the justifications from conservatives.

I'm waiting on the justification from ANYONE as to why our military members, willing to give up their lives are getting more than 130 million in FOOD AID alone! On top of that now they want to close the commissary's which are a benefit to military members for lower cost foods in many areas.

WASHINGTON -- While the House of Representatives considers cutting more than $20 billion from the food stamps program this week, it may want to consider a startling statistic: military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

So because they were in the military, they deserve to be paid more than what they are worth? I say bull shit, and I'm a vet.

Not sure how you made that leap, however I believe they must be worth enough to be able to keep food on the table, no?

CaféAuLait;8253700 said:
One-third of bank tellers rely on public assistance - CBS News

Taxpayers spend $899 million annually in state and federal benefits to support bank tellers and their families, according to a new report from The Committee for Better Banks.

One-third of bank tellers receive some sort of public assistance, ranging from Medicaid to food stamps, the financial industry employee advocacy group found, citing research from the University of California-Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education. In New York state, almost 40 percent of bank tellers and their family members are enrolled in public assistance programs, costing the state and federal governments $112 million in benefits.

“Bank workers in New York, across the nation and around the globe are being squeezed, very much as other hourly workers in the economy are,” the report noted. “Banks’ internal employment practices, just like their external practices, increasingly drive inequality.”

It’s not as if banks can’t afford to pay their tellers more, judging from a surge in executive pay: Compensation for the top 50 financial chief executives rose by 20 percent in 2011 and 26 percent in 2010, the study notes.

Can't wait to read the justifications from conservatives.

I'm waiting on the justification from ANYONE as to why our military members, willing to give up their lives are getting more than 130 million in FOOD AID alone! On top of that now they want to close the commissary's which are a benefit to military members for lower cost foods in many areas.

WASHINGTON -- While the House of Representatives considers cutting more than $20 billion from the food stamps program this week, it may want to consider a startling statistic: military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

Bu....bu.....bu.....that's the government and the government is good and right and always knows best!

This is what the conservatives here fail to realize. Freebies for those at the top as well as the bottom, but they seem to concentrate their anger on those on the bottom.. Subsidies to big agriculture helped drive mexicans off small farms after Nafta which sent more Mexicans to the north for a better life.

What Liberals of all flavors fail to recognize ... Is that they don't have a clue what a Conservative is.

Since a real Conservative doesn't approve of more government and excessive spending ... Then they don't approve of subsidies for the rich or the poor.
Because Democrats and Republicans fight about crap and scratch each other's backs ... People like you cannot fathom the difference between Liberalism and Conservatism.
When a Conservative says that Liberal spending is out of control ... That doesn't mean they support Corporate Welfare.

That connection is only made by Liberals who need an excuse to spend more money ... Or just want to sling mud because they don't have a better point to make.

I know the difference. There are no true conservatives in power.
We have Dem/Repub. both fighting over the pie, both pro corporate and big money, the only difference is the Democrat will help the little guy somewhat. Money could be gotten out of politics overnight but it won't happen without a groundswell of the electorate pushing for it. This is the only way to end subsidies. Which conservative doesn't support corporate power? Bills to limit money in politics have always been voted down by "conservatives". The conservative supreme court cemented the money/politic relationship with citizens united.

I know the difference. There are no true conservatives in power.
We have Dem/Repub. both fighting over the pie, both pro corporate and big money, the only difference is the Democrat will help the little guy somewhat. Money could be gotten out of politics overnight but it won't happen without a groundswell of the electorate pushing for it. This is the only way to end subsidies. Which conservative doesn't support corporate power? Bills to limit money in politics have always been voted down by "conservatives". The conservative supreme court cemented the money/politic relationship with citizens united.

Where I will agree that there is no "Real Conservative in power" ... That doesn't give you the right to start redefining what a Conservative is.
That is the problem with you Liberals ... Being a Conservative has nothing to do with what you want or how you want to define it.

If you want to say Republicans, Democrats or Moonies for all I care ... Well knock yourself out ... But quit trying to redefine Conservatives.
And further more ... If there are no Real Conservatives in power ... Then they don't have the ability to vote down legislation ... Whether it be social welfare, corporate welfare or money in politics.

Get your fricken story straight is all I am saying.
If you want to redefine a Conservative and lie doing so ... At least go through the trouble of making sure the story you tell in the beginning matches the story you tell at the end.

Forum List

Back