American Atheists Lose.. 9-11 Cross stays.

When push comes to shove liberal judges will do the right thing if the political climate is right and it protects their own asses from controversy. I bet judge Reena wished she wasn't next in line to rule on this issue. It's the right thing with a lame reason. Too bad the 40 year old Korean War memorial in San Diego didn't get exactly the same consideration when a series of chickenshit judges ordered it demolished because an atheist was offended by a 40 ft Cross.

It's actually still up there pending appeal.

Mount Soledad cross controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On June 30, 2014, the Supreme Court denied certiorari before judgement. Justice Samuel Alito stated in a personal statement that certiorari was not yet warranted because the appeal of Judge Burns' order has not yet been heard by the Court of Appeals.[3]

Let's us all know when the Christian 9/11 Memorial allows all other faiths to add their own 17-foot-tall symbols of faith? I won't hold my breath.

Other faiths are not asking for it, so leave them out of it and argue your point on your own (lack of) merits.

My point doesn't lack merit, you simply can't be honest about the fact that the Cross is a Christian symbol, and you want it there regardless. You are happy with it being Christian memorial, and to you that's all that matters.

Let's us all know when the Christian 9/11 Memorial allows all other faiths to add their own 17-foot-tall symbols of faith? I won't hold my breath.

No one has stopped them.

Oh but they have, since there is no other faith represented, not a one. Only Christianity, as per usual.

"The WTCMF completed the construction of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in July. On July 23, the WTCMF arranged to have the girder cross brought back from St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church and dropped in through the roof of the museum to be placed on a mounting that the WTCMF had built specifically for that purpose. The girder cross was then immediately consecrated in a private religious ceremony by Brian Jordan, the same Franciscan priest who originally claimed the girder cross to be a religious icon soon after it had been discovered. No other religious or secular representatives were invited to the event. "
http://www.atheists.org/legal/current/september-11-memorial

Last edited:

No one has stopped them.

Yes they have.;
American Atheists has offered, on multiple occasions, to pay for an atheist memorial, to allow the WTC board to approve a design, and even to simply dedicate an existing exhibit to the nonreligious victims but the board turned American Atheists down on every request. Our group has been called un-American and insensitive for making the requests. Apparently, American Atheists is somehow unpatriotic for demanding equal treatment in a memorial dedicated to those we lost in a religiously-inspired terrorist attack.
Of course the 9/11 cross is a religious symbol | OnFaith

No one has stopped them.

Oh but they have, since there is no other faith represented, not a one. Only Christianity, as per usual.

"The WTCMF completed the construction of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in July. On July 23, the WTCMF arranged to have the girder cross brought back from St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church and dropped in through the roof of the museum to be placed on a mounting that the WTCMF had built specifically for that purpose. The girder cross was then immediately consecrated in a private religious ceremony by Brian Jordan, the same Franciscan priest who originally claimed the girder cross to be a religious icon soon after it had been discovered. No other religious or secular representatives were invited to the event. "
September 11 Memorial | American Atheists

But it's not the same girder cross. They substituted a different one for the one that stuck up in the rubble.

Original one with flat front U sides and the cross beam opposite of that.
wtc-cross.jpg

One they put up for dedication with U front and flat sides.
Crossx-wide-community.jpg

Last edited:
No one has stopped them.

But it's not the same girder cross. They substituted a different one for the one that stuck up in the rubble.

Let me set you straight on at least one of the things you apparently don't realize. When the "free" trade agreements were discussed no Republican president could have EVER got them passed. It took a democrat president who pushed for those deals harder then anything else during his two terms. When he signed those agreements the prediction was made that we would hear a great sucking sound of jobs leaving the country and that is exactly what happened.

What I think is the correct approach to the poor is to make it easier for them to find meaningful work while helping them lift up their lives. Give them incentive to move up not stay in poverty on the government dole. That is no way for a person to live. To that end, training and education and true job opportunities need to be made available. We have done that but we are not seeing the effect because jobs are still being sent overseas.

No one has stopped them.

The lack of faith is not a faith lol.

No one has stopped them.

I agree but the courts do not and require equal treatment in this case, which isn't happening, hardly a surprise in the US.

I agree but the courts do not and require equal treatment in this case, which isn't happening, hardly a surprise in the US.

Were there remnants from the towers that survived in the shapes of other religious symbols? Oh, there weren't?

You have no ground zero to stand on, moron. :eusa_clap:

Why are atheists so up in arms over a cross? Nobody is forcing religious views on them. I don't believe pro wrestling is real, but I don't go to court to try stopping it. I don't believe in Elvis sightings, but I don't try shouting down those that think Elvis is alive. I don't believe that communion wine literally turns into Christ's blood, but I fully support Catholics first amendment right to believe it does.

I think that atheists that fight against the free exercise clause are terrified that they're wrong, and that's why they're so vocal.
They fight because they don't want public funds used to support private faiths, or their symbols in this case. Why do you care about a bent piece of steel from a collapsed building? Oh right, because it looks like a Cross, the Symbol of Christianity...

The left tends to use that point until those funds interferes with something they fully support and believe, like public funds supporting planned parenthood. I'm sure not everyone agrees with their ties to abortion, yet the left will fight that a woman's rights are none of anyone else's business .... just so long as it's not "religious" opinions that are being forced upon through public funds.

Why are atheists so up in arms over a cross? Nobody is forcing religious views on them. I don't believe pro wrestling is real, but I don't go to court to try stopping it. I don't believe in Elvis sightings, but I don't try shouting down those that think Elvis is alive. I don't believe that communion wine literally turns into Christ's blood, but I fully support Catholics first amendment right to believe it does.

I think that atheists that fight against the free exercise clause are terrified that they're wrong, and that's why they're so vocal.
They fight because they don't want public funds used to support private faiths, or their symbols in this case. Why do you care about a bent piece of steel from a collapsed building? Oh right, because it looks like a Cross, the Symbol of Christianity...

The left tends to use that point until those funds interferes with something they fully support and believe, like public funds supporting planned parenthood. I'm sure not everyone agrees with their ties to abortion, yet the left will fight that a woman's rights are none of anyone else's business .... just so long as it's not "religious" opinions that are being forced upon through public funds.
Supporting birth control for teens has nothing to do with promoting religion using public funds. We all pay for what we don't approve of. Stop mixing crosses and condoms.

Were there remnants from the towers that survived in the shapes of other religious symbols? Oh, there weren't?

Oh but I do, and courts agree, which is why it went through them. It's a Christian symbol and you have to be careful about using public funds supporting those. Your casual attitude about such things simply shows that as long as your faith wins, you don't give a damn about anyone else...

Oh but I do, and courts agree, which is why it went through them. It's a Christian symbol and you have to be careful about using public funds supporting those. Your casual attitude about such things simply shows that as long as your faith wins, you don't give a damn about anyone else...

I have no faith, idiot. There is no cause for suit unless there were other religious symbols in the rubble that were denied display. Your tantrums are not evidence. :lol:

Thread is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of the left..

Against a symbol of Christianity here, but using Christian teachings on another thread to push their agenda.

Other faiths are not asking for it, so leave them out of it and argue your point on your own (lack of) merits.

My point doesn't lack merit, you simply can't be honest about the fact that the Cross is a Christian symbol, and you want it there regardless. You are happy with it being Christian memorial, and to you that's all that matters.

Its not a christian memorial you thundering jackass. Its only in your addled mind.

Its not a christian memorial you thundering jackass. Its only in your addled mind.

Apparently not, since I'm not an Atheist, and did not file the suit. No worries, as long as the Christians get their way, you're happy, we got that part.

I have no faith, idiot. There is no cause for suit unless there were other religious symbols in the rubble that were denied display. Your tantrums are not evidence. :lol:
Yes, several massive building collapse and a miracle happens, one destroyed piece just happens to look like a cross so the Christians rush to pray underneath it as if it was sent by God, and then fight like hell to protect it and display it because of its religious nature using government funds.

Yes, several massive building collapse and a miracle happens, one destroyed piece just happens to look like a cross so the Christians rush to pray underneath it as if it was sent by God, and then fight like hell to protect it and display it because of its religious nature using government funds.

Irrelevant. You got nothing and the Christians won this. Sucks to be you.

Forum List

Back