Among the best singers singing the greatest Cher song and beating her at it!

The problem I have with these singing shows is that people confuse a voice with musical talent.

I love music. I consider my tastes quite eclectic and for genius you have to find artists who write and create from nothing. I've seen people promote guitarists who can play a solo and comments are "wow, this guy can play it better than even _______ (whoever the original was who played it)".

Replicating is easy. Certainly easier. The spark of creation that gives us ethereal inventions can never be matched by those who copy.

Not trying to derail the thread but just lowering the bar. There are 100000 people who can sing any particular song really well, perhaps almost as good or better than the original.

The problem I have with these singing shows is that people confuse a voice with musical talent.

I love music. I consider my tastes quite eclectic and for genius you have to find artists who write and create from nothing. I've seen people promote guitarists who can play a solo and comments are "wow, this guy can play it better than even _______ (whoever the original was who played it)".

Replicating is easy. Certainly easier. The spark of creation that gives us ethereal inventions can never be matched by those who copy.

Not trying to derail the thread but just lowering the bar. There are 100000 people who can sing any particular song really well, perhaps almost as good or better than the original.
I understand fully. I too enjoy creativity.

I certainly do not have a voice but I am a creative writer and I could also write songs if I had ever gotten into that medium. What I am though, is a poet. Here is one poem that I wrote that was published nationally:

Dry Oasis​

I fear a wintry wind on a hot summery day
Or buzzards perched on vibrant Queen Palm fronds
I dread the love songs that evoke a painful teardrop fall
Or counterfeit smiles that stab the faithful breast

I cry at lustful kisses by tainted shrews
Or with ambitious portraits the sightless draw
I cower from lonely ghosts with discontented dreams
Or penned souls that will never soar

I tremble at falsified images of purest love
Or at lifelong fantasies that erode the stainless heart
I shake with breathless fear of true betrayal
Or glorified promises built on a swampy bog

I dismay to witness speedy steeds on cemented floors
Or verdant trails glittering behind securely locked doors
I crumble at ceremonius weddings of faultily paired couples
Or whimsical goals that boisterously attest eternal vows

I weep at the dry oasis amid the lushy landscaped garden
That decries the broken dreams my mortality once endured
I bemoan the rebuilt affiliations of second-hand encounters
As the only living remnants that withstood the carnage of my soul

© Copyrighted (Property of TD)

Taking a disco dance song and turning into lounge lizard material ... well, that is an improvement ...

Just as one-offs, this Adam fella is the better singer, but then strong sopranos always send me ... and I don't think many would label Cher as a strong soprano ... and I wouldn't call this Cher's best song ...

I'm glad I listened, thank you ...

Forum List

Back