Analysts Say Armed Groups At Protests Raise Specter Of A 'Street War'

I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.
Yeah, all the ingredients are there.

And as bad as any of them is the fact that there appear to be no cooler heads trying to be heard.

Like maybe democrats telling their brownshirts to stop?
And it would great if tbe Republicans would their white supremacist fascists to knock it off too.

I don’t these groups care about political parties.
I've changed my mind on something pretty important (to me) over the last couple of years. I always thought that anyone could grow up and choose to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That we all had that capacity in us.

I don't believe that any more. It's become clear to me that the ends of the spectrum are hopeless and worthless, at least for now, and that they need to be marginalized from any constructive conversation. You'll have no more success communicating with them than you would with a wild-eyed Jihadi on the streets of Damascus.

The contest now is between the crazed nutters on both ends, versus the rest of us. Obviously they're currently winning.
I don’t want to be that negative....But it is hard:(
Well, in a weird way, it could be a positive. I don't think it will take a huge number to turn the tide. It's about starting small, with the right voices, and then creating a momentum.

I still believe that a majority of this country wants to see things really improve, instead of being stuck on "beating" the other "side".

How does that work when one side is destroying cities?
They're not "destroying cities". That's just the shallow, simplistic hyperbole to which you are addicted.

There is a much bigger picture to this, but you're simply not going to see it.

Not my problem.

You sound like CNN where the guy is standing in front of a building in flames and saying the protests have been peaceful.
And if they're not destroying cities why are they asking for federal money to repair all the damage?

They're not "destroying cities". That's just the shallow, simplistic hyperbole to which you are addicted.
If you can't admit that business and government facilities have been destroyed, and that complete sections of certain cities have been taken over, by the very people involved in these protests, this conversation cannot happen.
Of course I can admit that.

Do you understand the distinction between "destroying cities" and destroying buildings and small areas of cities?

Do you see any difference there?

I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.

And as bad as any of them is the fact that there appear to be no cooler heads trying to be heard.

And it would great if tbe Republicans would their white supremacist fascists to knock it off too.

I've changed my mind on something pretty important (to me) over the last couple of years. I always thought that anyone could grow up and choose to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That we all had that capacity in us.

I don't believe that any more. It's become clear to me that the ends of the spectrum are hopeless and worthless, at least for now, and that they need to be marginalized from any constructive conversation. You'll have no more success communicating with them than you would with a wild-eyed Jihadi on the streets of Damascus.

The contest now is between the crazed nutters on both ends, versus the rest of us. Obviously they're currently winning.
Well, in a weird way, it could be a positive. I don't think it will take a huge number to turn the tide. It's about starting small, with the right voices, and then creating a momentum.

I still believe that a majority of this country wants to see things really improve, instead of being stuck on "beating" the other "side".

Not my problem.

You sound like CNN where the guy is standing in front of a building in flames and saying the protests have been peaceful.
And if they're not destroying cities why are they asking for federal money to repair all the damage?
Are entire cities destroyed? Which ones?

Not my problem.

Why are they asking for money?
Minneapolis has at least 55 million in damages.

Not my problem.

Because buildings in the cities are damaged. Probably other property in certain areas.

You really don't understand this? Do you actually think that Minneapolis has been leveled? Who told you that?

It's like I'm trying to communicate with someone on another planet.

Not my problem.

Because buildings in the cities are damaged. Probably other property in certain areas.

You really don't understand this? Do you actually think that Minneapolis has been leveled? Who told you that?

Who said it was?
I know you liberals have a problem with cause and effect so I'll help you out.
How many businesses are going to leave? How many taxpayers are going to leave?
You dont need to burn the entire city to destroy it numbnut.

Not my problem.

Who said it was?
You said they have destroyed cities. They have not. That's just fantasy.

If you can't communicate like a normal adult, let's just move on.

Not my problem.

Who said it was?

And they are destroying the cities.
You're just too damn stupid to understand cause and effect.

Sooner or later the shit will hit the fan, maybe when these rioting assholes take their riots to the suburbs. There are a lot of people out there with guns who might get extreme to keep what's happening in liberal cities from happening in their civilized towns and suburbs.

BLM cares about political parties. Specifically, the DNC to the tune of millions of dollars. In a sense, BLM almost serves as a money laundering operation of the DNC. And yes, they are the Brownshirts of the DNC.

Oh puh-lease.

You also have Antifa, you have Anarchists, you have White Supremacists, you have independent Militias in the scene (the latter two being the Brownshirts of the GOP).

Sooner or later the shit will hit the fan, maybe when these rioting assholes take their riots to the suburbs. There are a lot of people out there with guns who might get extreme to keep what's happening in liberal cities from happening in their civilized towns and suburbs.

BLM cares about political parties. Specifically, the DNC to the tune of millions of dollars. In a sense, BLM almost serves as a money laundering operation of the DNC. And yes, they are the Brownshirts of the DNC.

Oh puh-lease.

You also have Antifa, you have Anarchists, you have White Supremacists, you have independent Militias in the scene (the latter two being the Brownshirts of the GOP).

You named one group. And it's yours... :laughing0301:

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests

I do not believe a peaceful protest includes guns. If you see guns then you oughta be discouraged about attending IMHO.

Yep, well done. Whenever BLM organizes a protest, Proud Bois or other White supremacist dipshits show up armed to the teeth, and the protesters go home. Problem solved, protests stop, institutional and systemic racism perpetuated, left to fester.

Again, well done. I couldn't have hoped for more able help demonstrating my point.

Not my problem.

Who said it was?

Ate you thinking that your specious quibbling over semantics is actually making some sort of point?

It is just a ruse to AVOID making any sort of substantive argument.

Yeah, in a way. In a country with hundreds of millions of guns in private hands, bad things are going to happen. Or rather, they are happening.

There are a few things that anger me about that article and the wider debate on that issue.

First, why attribute everything untoward to the protests? From the lootings to government thugs beating up or snatching away folks, there is always a light directed at "protests", as if there were more than the most tenuous connection.

Second, there were guns drawn because some hothead lost his calm. So? The event in Louisville was due to a woman passing out in the heat during pre-march security checks, dropping the gun and accidentally discharging. Clearly, such should not happen, but there was no danger of sparking a "street war", as right-wing hyperventilation would suggest.

Third, a "street war" is an animal entirely different from an accidental discharge and even a hothead pulling a gun. That would take sustained planning and coordination by numerous would-be warriors. Certainly, there will be dicey situations, and, as you do, I'd hope protesters won't carry guns during protests.

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests - not to mention equaling protests to riots, denigrating protesters willy-nilly as "brown shirts" and "thugs". If that is successful, and the protests subside before they have any significant achievements, the racist right has pulled off an enormous victory, as systemic racism will, again, remain unaddressed. There will be no "street war" at protests, and most assuredly not because of protests. In that vein, careful consideration should be devoted to analyzing what "street war" or "hijacking protests" actually mean. The danger of an explosion of violence arises, as far as I can see, rather due to Trump losing the election and White supremacist militias exacting their revenge, as usual targeting the most vulnerable they can possibly find, elderly, unarmed black church goers or some such group.

First, why attribute everything untoward to the protests?

The Left and the MSM still refer to the people doing the rioting, burning, and looting as 'protesters', true? Hence the link from one activity to the other that might be more than tenuous. Isn't that why the big city majors, city councils and governors aren't cracking down on the violence? Freedom of speech, gotta allow protesters to protest, right? The thugs use the cover of protesting to riot, burn, and destroy, and the local democrat leadership lets them get away with it.

but there was no danger of sparking a "street war"

Beg to differ, there was plenty of danger of a street war complete with a lotta guns on both sides. Didn't happen in Louisville, the local cops made sure the 2 armed groups were not allowed to mingle, but in another place like Portland it certainly could. All it takes is one fool, maybe mentally ill. I don't think we should downplay the chances of a real battle, sooner or later.

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests

I do not believe a peaceful protest includes guns. If you see guns then you oughta be discouraged about attending IMHO.

Totally agree with this part...and to be honest...I was unaware of the prevalence of guns in protests until the shooting incident in Austin highlighted it. High tempers, high tension, heavily fueled anger from a variety of causes, mob psychology....and guns. What could possibly go wrong?

Not my problem.

The much bigger picture is being lost because of the violence that is overwhelming coming from anarchists and the far left. Until that is addressed openly and honestly nothing can move forward.

That means the media needs to stop running cover for the violent anarchists and far left and the DNC needs to renounce them and stop taking their money.

Not my problem.

The much bigger picture is being lost because of the violence that is overwhelming coming from anarchists and the far left. Until that is addressed openly and honestly nothing can move forward.

That means the media needs to stop running cover for the violent anarchists and far left and the DNC needs to renounce them and stop taking their money.
Over a hundred buildings have been burned In Portland causing millions and millions of dollars of damage, yet people here support that because it arises from their own and not the other.

They cannot place themselves in the shoes of the innocent victims of all this arson. They identify only with the arsonists.

Some are so much in solidarity that they actually try to claim that unless each and every building in Portland has been destroyed, then Portland is facing no destruction. If they admitted the truth, instead, the nature of what they support would be revealed more clearly, thus the semantic game playing.

Somebody should do a serious study of Trump derangement syndrome some day. It manifests itself in any number of disturbing ways.

How violent were the protests and how much did the federal intervention inflame them?

Some pretty extreme actions by police and federal agents:

Forum List

Back